Freetrack - Free headtracking software and hardware plans.

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by juppy, Oct 25, 2007.

1. juppy

juppy Member

Anyone checked out Freetrack yet?

http://www.free-track.org/

Came across this little gem a few days ago and doesnt appear to have been mentioned here yet. Basically its a freeware competitor to TrackIR, which is software/hardware that tracks movement of your head so you can control camera angles in racing games/flight sims etc, works with rFactor, GPL GTR2, FLight Sim X etc.

Software is free and there's instructions to make the LED hardware at the site. You just need some basic tools, LEDs and a webcam to bring it all to life.

Nice little youtube clip of it in action below with one of my favourite games, Future Pinball (works with that too obviously).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJHAdXT7-tc

Do a youtube search for Freetrack and you will get plenty of examples of what this baby can do.

Enjoy.... and give some feedback if you decide to make one.

2. DeNs

DeNs Member

That's seriously cool - Though you have to wear 3 LED's on your head for 6DOF, right?

If I go to borrow my sister's headband to attach some LEDs to.. I think people might start thinking i'm a little strange.

---dens

3. OP
    OP
    juppy

juppy Member

yeah , you can set it up for anything from 1 - 4 leds I think.... gives you different degrees of movement, 1 being limited, 4 being the most.

Edit: Actually 4 LED's is no not needed in the newer version... 3 LEDs does the job just as well.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  4. OP
    OP
    juppy

juppy Member

Anyone had a go at making one of these yet?

5. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Does it work with 360 degrees of rotation? It would be awesome to have setup with a VR style head mounted display.....

Write some drivers to work camera in first person games like Quake 4, Crysis or portal etc.

Friggen awesome.

6. OP
    OP
    juppy

juppy Member

I doubt it, I think you would need to have an extra cam above your head looking down for that to work otherwise the front mounted camera would lose sight of the LEDs... I could be wrong though. There's a forum there so they should be able to answer that one.

It does work with some fps though as well, but just to turn your head a bit from side to side, up and down etc. Still that would be nice.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007