1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED Freighted PC won't Boot into Display

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by leonami, Mar 29, 2020.

1. leonami

leonami Member

Hey Guys,

I'm lucky enough to have been gifted a PC that was recently shipped to me with GPU sent separately because its so large it may have destroyed the Motherboard during the shipping. Computer worked fine before it was partially stripped for shipping. Everything Minus the GPU was shipped in Original Case Box with the original foam. GPU was sent in original box with Bubble Wrap around it.

It's been a long while since I've built a PC and I'm not completely up to scratch with new tech. The Motherboard Clip for PCI-E slot was a pain to access with the card in and it popped off when I tried to pull the card out to reseat but it doesn't appear to be anything more than a plastic clip (i.e. no visible solders that were pulled off the board). I managed to bung the clip back in no dramas and I think they have it designed to just hold the card in place but be able to pop off (could be wrong).

I installed the GPU (made sure to plug in both PCI-E Rails) and went to power on and lights come on but nobody is home and nothing engages with my monitors.

I've reseated everything (including CPU) to no avail. RGB Ram lights up, CPU HSF Powers, the GPU Fan ball bearing engages but doesn't spin up (I read somewhere that it doesn't start the fan until the temperature increases) but there are lights on the card that light up.
    I just get nothing to the display and from my understanding there isn't any video on this CPU to test if its just a faulty GPU.

System Specs:
    NZXT H400i White
    Corsair CX650i
    ASUS Prime B450M-K
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 w/Stock Cooler
    Galax GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Samsung EVO 970 M2 SSD 512gb
    GSkill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz
    Dell Ultrasharp U240x (its either 7 or 9)
    Dell Ultrasharp U23xx (Forget Year)

I'm not sure how best to diagnose the faulty part here. I don't have any recent specced computers to test the faulty parts in to see which part is broken. Hoping sincerely its not the GPU as that's the most expensive to replace but I have no way of telling if the Motherboard or CPU got damaged in transit.

I'm hoping the OCAU Brains Trust can help out here. I hope I've given enough detail as I'm at a bit of a loss and mostly sad that its not working.

2. connico

connico Member

Can you use the DVI out on the motherboard?

3. OP
    OP
    leonami

leonami Member

I tried this and nothing. I'm worried this is the GPU being crap as I believe that only a few Ryzens have the on board graphics support...

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

That CPU does not support onboard graphics, so testing via the motherboard won't help.
    Do you have a mate who will allow you to test your GPU in his rig, or his GPU in your rig?

Alternatively, borrow a CPU which does support onboard graphics, but that still doesn't necessarily rule out a PCIE problem. Off the top of my head, suitable CPUs would be 200GE, 2200G, 2400G, 3000G, 3200G and 3400G.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  5. connico

connico Member

Do you get any beeps on boot up?

6. power

power Member

you're not plugging your display cable into the board while the GPU is installed?

Also make sure and additional power cables are connected to the graphics card.

7. OP
    OP
    leonami

leonami Member

Silent Case so no speaker for beeps. Not sure where I can find just a speaker for troubleshooting beeps.

Display Cables into the Card.

Yeah plugged both PCI-E rails into the card reseated and did this multiple times and nothing :(

8. asho444

asho444 Member

Tried resetting bios and re seating ram?

9. Brad7000

Brad7000 Member

+1 for pulling out the ram and re-seating

10. OP
    OP
    leonami

leonami Member

RAM was the first thing I tried. Removed the battery from the board as well. Nothing :(

11. asho444

asho444 Member

Maybe some photos to see if there is anything out of place, you don't have any other gpu to test with

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Buy a motherboard speaker, they often aren't included with motherboards these days.

THEY AREN'T EXPENSIVE OR HARD TO FIND

The link above is to an ebay item, but you may even find one at places like Jaycar or local PC sales outlets too. I CBF searching right now...

It's also possible that a member in Darwin may read this and offer to give/loan you one I guess. I'd offer to give you one, but by the time I got off my lazy fat arse and searched the shed to find one (I do know for a fact I have several) and then got around to posting it, you'd have received an ebay one much faster :lol:

On the image below
    , you'll see the speaker pins pointed out. The image is specifically your motherboard as listed in your OP.

Polarity is not important, the plug on the speaker can be attached either way around. The two inner pins are just GND, redundant for this purpose, the outer pins are signal.

I've been unable to find beep codes specific to your motherboard. Asus does however appear to be consistent, and the error codes listed on the image *should* apply to all AM4 motherboards.

Perhaps there will be more info in your paper or CD manual, if you have one, but online manuals don't appear to show error codes either.

I believe these codes should be correct. The resulting beeps of course are limited in scope, but they will at least give you some general idea of which area to concentrate your investigations.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Groff and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  13. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

sounds like bad gpu, or broke in transit, or you broke it ...

Id start by reseating everything essential, and unplugging what isnt

essential: 1 stick of ram, cpu, video card and power to mobo and video card and power switch jumper

not essential: other stick of ram, hdd/dvd, usb headers, sound headers, extra cards, extra fans etc

also a good pc store would just give you a mobo speaker if you asked nicely ... well at least i would lol

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Asus boards usually have diagnostic LEDs, does yours?

15. G-Man

G-Man Member

What type of display cable are you using? When I got my latest nvidia card I could not see a bios screen through display-port and had to change a bios setting before I could see anything at boot - which is not helpful when there's a bios interrupt on startup. DVI or HDMI should work though and those monitors sound pre-dp?

rireland likes this.
  16. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

pull ur usb devices off the board

17. OP
    OP
    leonami

leonami Member

I managed to find another PCI-E GPU to test. Card gets power from the power rail but does not spin up fans or anything. Also the keyboard inputs don't work at all so I'm tempted to say it's the Motherboard here. Cheap enough to replace and honestly probably worth trying.

18. OP
    OP
    leonami

leonami Member

Got my new Motherboard Today - Installed it and everything is working fine.
    Thanks for all the advice peeps!