French Country Style Terrine (Pate de campagne)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by scon, May 12, 2008.

1. scon

scon Member

Well, considering it was mums day and I voluteered to do all the cooking for lunch, I thought it was appropriate to cook what is possibly mum's favourite dish of all time, a terrine (basically the same as a pate, but usually abit more rustic). I would have put chicken livers into it, but unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere around me that sold them.

First up I bought about 1kg veal shoulder, 1kg pork shoulder and 600g pork fat (i would have bought half that but that's the minimum my butcher would mince for me), a couple duck breasts, some thinly sliced bacon, pistachios, onions, some sherry and some brandy... with an ingredient list like that, I was pretty excited.

First step was marinating the duck, I cut the breasts into strips, and marinated in brandy, port, allspice, thyme and a few green tops of shallots.

[​IMG]

Next up, making the farce, or stuffing, began by frying up the onions in butter and olive oil till golden and put them into a mixing bowl, in the same bowl I reduced a cup or so of Pedro Ximinez (a kind of aged carmelly sherry from portugal) till about halved. Then I mixed in half of the pork, veal and pork fat (i'll make another terrine this week with whats left), some thyme, some allspice, 4 eggs and lots of salt an pepper.

Next up was the construction of the terrine. First, layering of the bacon! :weirdo:

[​IMG]

Then about 1/4 fill the terrine with the farce and a layer of the marinated duck:

[​IMG]

Next came another 1/4 fill and a layer of pistachios (which i forgot to photo) followed by another layer of duck and some more farce and then it's time to close the whole thing up with a layer of bacon:

[​IMG]

Into the oven for about 2 hours sitting in a pan of water that comes 1/2 way up the sides of the loaf tin:

[​IMG]

Then the whole thing gets pressed for a few hours to remove any air bubbles it may contain:

[​IMG]

And finally, the serving. Unfortunately the duck did not leave a visible layer, you could taste it, but not see it. I might have to double the amount of duck next time and maybe add a couple duck livers to the farce at the beggining.

[​IMG]

And it was really, really tasty, I don't think it would get the Heart Foundation's tick somehow though. Not exactly what I'd call healthy.

2. username_taken

username_taken Member

wow, that's beautiful. I might have to make one of those ... I wonder how it would go smoked instead of baked :D

3. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

Smoked would be interesting, but the flavourings in it are pretty delecate and smoking may well overpower them. I'll be doing another one this week with the leftover mince, not sure what to put in it though.

Edit: I wanted to put truffles in, but couldn't find any on short notice.

4. DeltaFX

DeltaFX Member

* la vache, ca a l'air bon, miam"

Damn that looks goog, yum !

5. kingcutter

kingcutter Member

looks great, a nice one that i will have to try...

KC

6. username_taken

username_taken Member

I'm gonna make this for fathers day, will probably cook it tomorrow.

Half will be a terrine, gonna make sausages with the other half.

7. username_taken

username_taken Member

Baked it a few hours ago. Looks like a lot of the fat seperated out. Hopefully that doesn't mean I've stuffed it up. Won't know until I cut it though. Took plenty of pictures will post them up in a new thread when it's done.

8. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

So, what did you think? It may have been cooked a smidgen too long if the fat separated out, with things like pate, you want as much fat suspended in the 'farce' (stuffing) as possible. The photos you provided looked good though and I reckon it tasted abit of alright.

9. username_taken

username_taken Member

It tasted awesome, it would have had a much better texture if the fat stayed intact, but was still great. I took a heap of photos will write it up tomorrow some time.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well I'm licking my lips here, that looks fantastic :thumbup: