Fresh chillies from the garden

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Quan-Time, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Thudd

Thudd Member

2. Thudd

Thudd Member

And more chillies!

Random nursery Thai, in it's second year. Gave it a hard prune at the end of last season.

Click to view full size!

Cayenne. Also second year, but just lightly trimmed rather than pruned.

Click to view full size!

What will eventually become red habs. I picked a green one that a bug had started to nibble at and sampled it, my lips were still burning three hours later. These are going to have some serious punch.

Click to view full size!

Jalapenos. I put out 4 jalapenos this year (two from last year, two new ones) in anticipation of making lots of pickled jalapenos, but I'll probably only have enough for one jar this year :(

Click to view full size!

Habanero, including one monster pod

Click to view full size!

And because they are related, my capsicum plant. The capsicums in this picture were picked last weekend and ended up roasted in tomato soup.

Click to view full size!

3. alch

alch Member

My baby jalapenos!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

No one likes wasting water! ..Im up sizing when this other solar panel comes. Maybe get a few more 12v batteries.. Already got the pumps :p.. even if they are cheapo plastic water pumps with no filter.

ed;
    So jelly everyones already got fruit :( :p

Ed2; Had habanero growing from seed, But it didnt bother growing very far. still on 2 leaves and about 4mm high .. has been for the last.. 3 months

4. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Nice looking pods, let me know how the yellow habs in that 2nd last pic go as mine all started going to mush. It broke my heart as there were about 30, all as big as golf balls while still green so I got very excited. I pulled the bush out as part of a reorganisation of the back yard after they all went brown and mushy though :(

Cheers.

5. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

And so I did. Stuffed the Jalapeno's tonight. Effing yum! Reds were a little hotter than the greens but they're quite mild over all.

Cream cheese, cheddar cheese, worchestershire sauce, lime juice and bacon.

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Oh man that turned out great. Good work. They are a damn fine thing to eat when they are lightly roasted like that.

7. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Took out my third and last garden bed today to make way for a swing set. Going to downsize for next year but in the interim I potted my bhut jolokia, rocoto and Trinidad scorpion. Didn't realise just how big the scorp had become until I potted it :eek:

Click to view full size!

8. nurple

nurple Member

9. SpEeDyDj

SpEeDyDj Member

Click to view full size!

picked a couple today!

Left to right: Fatali, Choc Habanero, Aji Limon. next row: Trinidad 7 pot, Orange Habanero, Yellow Habanero, bottom row: Purple Tiger, Royal Black.

The green ones dropped off today while watering.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  10. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Your multi coloured ones were picked a bit early. Its not a huge deal, but if you let them go to one solid colour, thats traditionally considered "ripe". The fact they fell off is interesting. Probably just the weather and season ?

It should not effect the flavour, but on regular (non spicy) fruit, it gives you the squirts out your back end. But with chilli you cant tell for obvious reasons.

That big fatali looks real good size. Im going to have to try some later in the year as everyone seems to be having luck with them and i dont have any yellow. I had a yellow naga which died before it even fruited.. Damn winter snaps :(

11. SpEeDyDj

SpEeDyDj Member

Yes most of the fatali's are pretty big same with my Naga's as well. :thumbup:

I think i had the hose up a little too high, which caused the multi colours and the green ones to drop, and they had wilted a bit beforehand. :( (They do seem to ripen pretty quick in a container with some cherry tomatoes in it though)

If they keep going well i should have a heap of fruit in the next few weeks. :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  12. 05akari23

05akari23 Member

Hey guys,
    decided to harvest some chillis today. Growing has gone quite well, and I have many more chillis than I know what to do with. :D
    If anyone would like some seeds I am happy to send you some.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Here is a list of what is in the picture:
    1: Unknown
    2: Jalapeno
    3: Unknown (suspected birdseye)
    4: Bhut Jolokia
    5: Unknown(Labelled as bhut's in bunnings, were white while growing but turned red at maturity.)
    6: Unknown
    7: Unknown
    8: Unknown
    9: Unknown
    Sorry about all the unknowns, I got a 'mystery bag' of seeds. If any of you have an idea of what they might be it would be MUCH appreciated.:)

13. Matt P

Matt P Member

Pretty sure 7 is a red habanero
    1 looks to be a ripe jalapeno

14. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Im actually going to call 6 as habanero and 7 as a hab hybrid.

I agree with 1 being a rip jalapeno.
    3 is most likely a birdseye
    8 almost looks like a smaller serrano ? Depends on heat. Else its a Thai variety. That or a tabasco cross. But it doesnt have the right shape.
    9 is almost jalapeno style. It is most likely one of the strains as theres like 10 of em.

15. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

This weekend's pick.

Clockwise: 3 orange rocoto, unknown, hot lemon, jalapeno, Thai hot/bird's eye, red habanero, cayenne, fatalii, serrano and 2 red shiny red habaneros.

[​IMG]

16. 05akari23

05akari23 Member

8 is fairly hot. Those Bhuts being a 10 on the heat scale, I'd say that they're 6.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  17. nic55

nic55 Member

Hey guys,

I've just noticed these little pests (aphids?) all over one of my hab plants! Looks like some of the leaves are starting to curl/bubble also, what's the best way to clean this all up?

Cheers!

Click to view full size!

18. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

I hate those bastards. Get some Pyretherum spray from bunnings and attack em HARD.

You mix it like 2 cap fulls per 2 litres in a spray bottle. You can get pre-mix, but i have my own pump bottle thing.
    Each season i pre-emptive do it now because one neighbour must have bulk of them because you can almost time it to the week when they attack.

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

try and get them off without using chemicals (even pyretherum) if you can (soapy water in a spray bottle should work well enough).

chemicals will also remove lady bugs and they eat aphids and other plant pests.
    try and find a way to increase the number of lady bugs by using companion plants.
    marigolds are a good choice because it will attract other insects that eat aphids, not just lady bugs.

20. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

This weekend's haul... Starting to get more fatalii now, should get heaps of habs soon (there's about 100 on my bush) unless our weather has turned too cold.

Clockwise from top left: Birds eye/Thai hot, serrano, red habanero, cayenne, other red habanero, fatalii (yellow), jalapeno early, hot lemon and no idea skinny ones. The stunted one in the middle of the DVD is a superhot hybrid but the source couldn't tell me which two superhots. They're my hottest chilli though, hotter than my Butch T's and Bhuts :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014