Fresh chillies from the garden

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Quan-Time, Jun 1, 2010.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

chook poo goes well, worm castings etc. the usual soil amendments always work :thumbup:

2. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

I just use Dynamic Lifter and Seasol. Seems to work OK, they might have grown the same without it though :Paranoid:

Most varieties, especially the hotter ones, don't like cold weather so they may die or just slow down to doing nothing over winter. Depends how well they're protected from the cold.

3. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

+1 seasol. Works great.
    Not used chook poo, but i hear its ok, and compost tea is also freakin awesome if you make your own. Its just compost water run off.

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Sweet will pickup some seasol for the time being

Yeah I am hoping that we dont get super cold in Sydney over winter, but you never know. I guess they dont have much protection from the cold where they are, I can move them inside if it gets super cold tho for a couple of days.

5. SpEeDyDj

SpEeDyDj Member

Last lot of chilli's for the season (frozen ready for sauce making)

Well as the title says, last for this season.

Click to view full size!

Please excuse the iphone 3 pic quality!

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

my two seem to have done exactly that.

one never really recovered from being stripped of its leaves by my son and the other did recover enough to fruit but it hasn't gained much in size and the fruits haven't really grown much or changed at all in the last month or so.

the largest is walnut size, the smallest pea size.

i think i just got them too late in the season.
    is it worth keeping them in their pots over winter or should i just cut my losses with those ones and get new ones next spring?

7. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Mine look like they die every year but as long as they get water and stay under the eaves of our house they seem get new shoots in August/September. I think I only lost 2 pots last year out of about 20 and 4-5 ground plants as they had nothing to protect them from the cold.

The fruit should still ripen eventually, but it can take a long time now that the weather is cooler.

Yeah, August/Sept is when you want to be sprouting or getting seedlings so they're established enough for fruit by December onwards.

8. nuclearDays

nuclearDays Member

Nice harvest, mate ... looks great :thumbup:

9. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Thanks for the feedback and tips, will definitely put to good use. :thumbup:

10. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I was organising my greenhouse this arvo, adjusting the shelves, and noticed the plants were quite damp. One had some spores so I snipped off that dying branch, others leaves were yellowing so I left the door open a while for them. I also noticed some decent sized poop on the leaves of some plants. After a while hunting I found the culprit!

[​IMG]

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

squash it !!!

12. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

The GF put it in a jar with some leaves to see what it transforms into. Or just dies.

13. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

bite it's head off!!!!!!

I can second the die off during winter :( my regular birds eyes only just survive most of the time but I have lost a fair few over the years. the other random viet chillis i smuggled home survived last year, just, but i haven't been home for a few months so I hope they have mutated into giant green bushes over summer to survive the winter.
    i think it takes about 8 weeks for the fruit to ripen during autumn / winter compared to about 2 in summer, its horrible waiting for them

14. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

Thanks for that. I have NFI how a greenhouse works - do the plants get enough sun through that thing? I'll assume yes otherwise it would be a very poor product lol... And that's certainliy heaps bigger then I thought it would be, which is good.

15. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Yeah it's an illusion. If you look at the interior pictures you can see that the plastic is pretty much transparent.

16. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Sunday's pick... My freezer is full now and I've dried so many i'll have years of powder :shock: I have to take them to work to give them away now.

Hot lemon, Serrano, unknown skinny ones and red rocotos.
    [​IMG]

A Trinidad Scorpion 7 Pod, many red habaneros, many fatalii, a few orange rocotos, trinidad perfume, cayenne, jalapeno, bhut jolokia assam, trinidad scorpion sunrise, chocolate trinidad scorpion and some hybrid superhots.
    [​IMG]

17. nuclearDays

nuclearDays Member

Jesus Stone, another mighty fine haul :thumbup:
    Do you deseed your pods b4 making powder?
    I reckon I've spent about 4-5hours so far deseeding my pods for drying. I hung them in front of our split-sytem and they dried in 4-5 days.
    I wore food grade disposible gloves whilst I was cutting them, trying to be mega careful not to wipe my hands anywhere but after a few hours of doing this I vagued out and wiped my eye brow ... AHH FLAP STUPID MISTAKE !!!
    The pain was worse than any mouth burn I've ever copped from a chilli. :thumbdn: Luckily it died down pretty quickly after hosing my eyeball down. I sure as shit won't be making that mistake again!

18. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Ice cubes made of milk. Yes it works. Yes ive had to do it. :(

You need to plan ahead tho.

19. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

I de-seeded the first time I powdered years ago but can't be bothered now. If flaking (with blender) I don't mind seeing seeds in the mix and when powdering the coffee grinder destroys the seeds and you wouldn't even know they were there :)

Yeah, chilli burns in and around the eyes aren't fun, neither is up the nose :lol: I wear contact and eventually learnt to take them out before handling chillies or else I'd be in a world of pain later.
    One hot evening during summer I put some chillies in my dehydrator which I thought would be fine until I realised that the areas that I was sweating in started to burn. I think the fumes stuck to the sweat and burned like crazy :upset:

20. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Also going to the toilet after handling chilli's without gloves may produce a warm tingling sensation on your manhood.