Fresh chillies from the garden

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Quan-Time, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Matt P

Matt P Member

most of my plants here in Adelaide and in Sydney have lost all their leaves, hoping they come back. I think i'll give away a lot of the plants i have as i have far more than i need.

2. ralph123

ralph123 Member

how are you all starting off your seeds? its getting alot warmer in perth around 20 degrees but at night still gets about 10 degrees.

what methods are you doing for seed starting?

1st time trying to start seeds this early.. any tips?

After reading the posts from last year, i think i might try start some seeds off using the paper towel method and sit it on my access point.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  3. Hetty

Hetty Member

I tried the paper towel method, didn't like it. The seeds were too hard to plant when they'd grown in all sorts of squiggly directions. There's a higher chance of mould, some of my seeds just went mouldy. I just found it much more fiddly and really quite unnecessary, it's nice to have them pop out so quickly but easier to plant early.

I've got my seeds in mini greenhouses in jiffys on top of a heat mat. I tried soil but it dried out so quickly, even with watering twice a day. Having the seeds germinate much better in jiffys and I'm pretty sure it's because of the moisture.

4. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Carolina Reaper seeds arrived yesterday along with some freebie Cornish Nagas :thumbup:

I'll just soak my seeds in hot tap water overnight (24hr) then put them in jiffys over a heat mat. I put the heat mat in an esky with the temp controlled by my cheap sous vide temp controller. I learnt the hard way way to keep the lid slightly open or else it turns into a mouldy rain forest inside :lol:

5. Hetty

Hetty Member

Fresh chilli's from the garden

My reaper seeds arrived yesterday as well, really excited about growing them. Going to plant more seeds on the weekend then I'll be done if all goes to plan :)

I soak my seeds in Milton now. It's a bit annoying soaking them but it breaks down the hydrophobic layer so water can get into the seed more easily, seems to make them germinate a bit quicker. Some of my superhots are poking up now, after 10 days. I had green scorpions pop up after a week.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. timuscat

timuscat Member

I was given two plants last summer and they didn't produce enough to get me through winter so I'm looking to seed my own this year, where does everyone buy their seeds from?

7. Hetty

Hetty Member

The Hippy Seed Company and the Chilli Factory are both good. If you want to support small business go the Hippy Seed Company. I've also gotten a lot of seeds from people on Facebook. There are a few groups who exchange seeds (and give away seeds) like the Eastern Australia Chilli Seed Exchange or the Western Australia Chilli Seed Exchange.

8. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

I've bought from;
    - The Hippy Seed Company
    - The Chilli Man (http://www.thechilliman.biz/) who is just a retired old guy who sells seeds which has always been what they're meant to be. He also sells on eBay.
    - Jungle Rain (threw in an extra bag of mixed superhots) - I had a pack that didn't sprout and he sent me another pack free of charge.
    - Buckeye Pepper Company (US based) who just sent me Carolina Reaper and bonus pack of seeds
    - Pepper Lover (US based) - Can't remember what I ordered but was happy with the results and I know they sent 2-3 bonus packs as I ordered about 9 varieties.
    - I used another US one but I can't remember who it was!
    - eBay but can't remember the seller (Bhut Jolokia ended up being cayenne) - Wouldn't buy from there again unless I knew the seller.

9. timuscat

timuscat Member

Excellent thanks, Looks like I will hit up the hippy seed company then.

10. Hetty

Hetty Member

Good choice. :) Neil from the Hippy Seed Company is great. We went to his nursery a few weeks ago and he had us tasting all sorts of chillis and he taught us a lot.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  11. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

He and his friends are a bit strange in their chilli eating videos though :lol:

12. Hetty

Hetty Member

I don't mind strange :) he's very passionate.

Planting reapers, fatali, bishops crowns and african birds eye (piri piri) today, maybe a few others. Has anyone had trouble getting fatali to germinate? I've tried twice, second try isn't a fail yet but nothing after two weeks (and some superhots like my Butch T and a few different 7 pots have germinated).

13. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

hotter they are the longer the germination period. Dont expect anything for upwards of 6 weeks. Thats normal.

14. Hetty

Hetty Member

I know, that's why I was thinking it was odd that butch ts and other superhots had popped up but the fatali hasn't.

15. OP
    OP
    Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

I get a did rate of about 1 in 5 or 6. I often plant 3 seeds together and they usually sprout, but occasionally you get a dud.

Be aware that some seeds will sprout fast, and then not fruit for an entire season. I had that on a plant once. Was weird. Goes fine now.

16. Hetty

Hetty Member

I'll plant a few more just in case.

Here's some chilli seedlings I planted two weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

17. ralph123

ralph123 Member

nice, do you have a heat mat under that?
    i'm currently soaking my seeds in tea, and then will do a vinegar mix, before doing the paper method.
    Going to sit on my wireless router...

Dont have enough doolar for a heat mat this stage.

18. Hetty

Hetty Member

Yes, I do. I keep reptiles so I dug out an old heat mat I hadn't used in years. You could probably pick one up second hand from a reptile forum or buy a cheapie from ebay. From what I have read it will be hard to keep them growing without one in the early stages. I have a spare mat but I'm keeping it in case this one dies for some reason.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  19. SpEeDyDj

SpEeDyDj Member

Lost about 80 odd Yellow Fatali's and 60 odd Jalapeno's today.

I think my bro put some stuff in the freezer and didn't close the door properly, I'm just glad i wanted to cook some fish fingers for dinner tonight, or would have lost 1000s of chilli's and capsicums that are being kept frozen until i make sauces.

The rest of my chilli's were still frozen, but the fatali's and Jalapeno's were thawed out and going mouldy in the top of the freezer!!

20. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

My dodgy slapped together warm place :lol:

The heat mat is connected to a controller that's keeping it around 30C in the esky with the lid ajar about 1cm at one end. The trays can't sit directly on top of the mat as they dry out within hours, whereas raised or to the side they don't dry out completely.
    I think I set that up last Sunday and already have 2 hooks breaking through.
    The tray at the top of the picture has 12 Carolina Reaper seeds.
    The other tray has 8 Cornish Naga and 8 Hot Lemon.

I think i'll just buy seedlings for cayennes, jalapenos, etc.

[​IMG]