Fresh chillies from the garden

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Quan-Time, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Thudd

Thudd Member

Superhots in Tassie!

Excited :) Taswegians, have you always been frustrated by the lack of availability of some of the more extreme chilli varieties, and quarantine laws that mean you can't purchase seeds online? Well I have just come back from a local garden centre and they are stocking previously unavailable chillies!

They seem to be from this range although the labels are a bit different:
    http://www.potnall.com.au/heart-starters

I just picked up:
    Scorpion Butch T
    7-Pot Yellow
    Choc Habanero
    Zimbabwe Baby Birds Eye
    "Jays Red" - cross between a Trinidad Scorpion and a Jolokia.

Click to view full size!

Other nurseries may have different varieties, I will certainly be looking as there are a couple more varieties in that list I'd like to pick up.

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Those plants are sold through masters stores too. Not sure if there are any in tasmania.

3. Thudd

Thudd Member

There are none.

4. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Anyone feeling generous and wants to send me some rocoto seeds, or even better has excess seedlings in Bris? Over the weekend my strawberries got watered while I was away but all 6 of my rocoto sprouts got cooked in their tray :upset: I'd buy some seeds off ebay except they are not only a ripoff (c'mon 50c per seed???) and the last batch of Hungarian blacks I bought all failed to germinate.

Anyway just putting it out there :thumbup:

5. Hetty

Hetty Member

Fresh chilli's from the garden

I have lots of seeds but already gave my spare rocoto seeds away. There's some rocoto seeds available on jungle rain though. 50c a seed isn't terrible though, you don't need many seeds.

6. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

7. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Fucking dog got into my new habanero (after destroying my old one), and my reaper seedlings. :mad::mad::mad:

8. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Yeah I have no real problem buying them just want to be sure they'll strike and they're not "dead"...

Thanks I'll try him and hope for a good strike rate.

:thumbup:

9. Thudd

Thudd Member

Aren't rocotos readily available at nurseries?

10. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Not any nurseries I've been to - either here in Qld (including Pohlmans) or the ones in Melbourne. Lots of other interesting varieties like I got from Masters last year but the Rocoto seems a bit unloved - it's not your "typical" chilli anyway as it grows into a tree sized plant, etc. Personally I love them and it's one of only 4 varieties I'll be growing this summer - and I'll be planting several rocotos to complement my one each of Trinidad Scorp Butch T, Bhut Jolokia and Chocolate Habanero :)

As was mentioned earlier, tangy, fleshy, a great all rounder. If anything I wish someone would hyrbrid a slightly milder version which you could liberally slice up into salads or similar. For me it's just a bit high on the heat to flavour scale... One of my favourite ways to enjoy them is to slice up one or two into a large jar of Gardiniera - the jars of pickled vegetables. The veges end up very spicy and the rocoto slices quite mild.

Anyway I got a packet of 10 from said "Chilli Man" and based on a recommended other item from Ebay I bought a pack of 10 radioactive purple strawberry seeds. My son loves strawberries so we are growing a few in hanging baskets - these will look pretty amazing if the pic is in any way accurate :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121420227442?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  11. Hetty

Hetty Member

All my seeds from jungle rain were fine.

12. Thudd

Thudd Member

I looked at the picture on the ebay page and thought 'no way' - it looks far too false. So a few seconds of googling later and...

http://www.greenmuze.com/nurture/urban/4432-new-purple-strawberries.html
    http://www.burpee.com/fruit-plants/strawberry-plants/strawberry-purple-wonder-prod002673.html

Darker than a regular strawberry? Sure. Radioactive purple? Nope! I think somebody has been messing with the colour sliders in Photoshop.

13. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

I re-potted my jiffys into 100mm pots back on the 6th of October before I went overseas and came back to them moving along slowly compared to other seasons. They seemed strong enough so I picked out the best 2 Carolina Reapers, 2 Cornish Nagas and 2 White Bhuts for myself and one of each of those + a red rocoto for a mate. Then took the rest to work today to give away. I managed to get rid of 5 Hot Lemons, 3 Cornish Naga, 3 Carolina Reapers and 1 red Rocoto.
    I think I only have 3 spares left at home that are kind weak looking (bottom right of first pic).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find the orange rocotos (actually look yellow to me) to be more mild. I've used both diced finely in salsas and the red was too hot but the orange was more comfortable to eat.

14. pugsley

pugsley Member

I got my jalapeno seedlings planted out into a proper pot on the weekend and they seem to be doing well. They grow rather quickly once they get going.

15. Hetty

Hetty Member

I'm potting up loads of chillis this weekend. How are everyone's plants going?

16. Glide

Glide Member

Long time lurker of this thread :D

I'm a bit late, but I got some tobasco seedlings going.

I was looking for a cheap heat mat on ebay, when it occurred to me...
    No heat mat? no problem!

Click to view full size!

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

bloody nice work Glide :thumbup:
    many lols here :)

18. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Pruned garden ones and older potted ones all firing back up. New seedlings doing sweet FA... They're about 3-5cm high with multiple sets of leaves. They haven't really changed since I put the jiffys into pots 6 weeks ago :confused:

I planted seed on the 15th August and repotted on the 6th October. It's been 3 months and I have 3-5cm seedlings :upset:

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Transplant shock ?? Can take 6+ weeks to recover from :(

20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

last year my son got stuck into my plants and stripped them.

the plant on the right is an example of what he did.
    [​IMG]

by the end of summer, both of the plants in that photo looked like the one on the right.

they stayed like that all winter. just a stick with some leaves, but come spring time they've boomed.

they're both riddled with flowers, but sadly no fruit yet.

these are the same plants. (a bit hard to make out with the strawberry plants behind them)

[​IMG]

i bought some new seedlings from masters again.
    two hot ones - a white habanero and a something that i can't recall the name of - and one that they've called sweet sensation. it's supposed to be a mild one suitable for making sweet chilli sauce.

the two hot ones aren't doing much. they're barely increased in size (maybe 6 - 8 leaves), while the sweet sensation has doubled in size now (about 20cm tall).
    i'm hoping for it to start flowering soon.