1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Fridge cooling (56k warning lots o pics)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by PHATE-ALITY, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Long Haired Git

Long Haired Git Member

If you place it in reservoir, then make sure flow from PC is aimed to hit and flow over it, and get the inlet back to the PC as far away as possible....

2. OP
    OP
    PHATE-ALITY

PHATE-ALITY Member

yeah im going out tommorow to buy a chunky arse res, im looking for something over 10L if its possible, see how it goes. But for now im back to stock speeds and noise fans :(

PHATE

3. OP
    OP
    PHATE-ALITY

PHATE-ALITY Member

Well to update my progress, i broke my fridge when i was making the res. Im pretty sure i borked the thermostat. So i shelved the fridge project. But today i just scored a new fridge which is identical to my other one so over the next few weeks im going to be tinkering about with it and ill be back to water again at some point.

ill chuck some photos up at some point

PHATE

4. Silver_Platinum

Silver_Platinum Member

Why don't you bypass the thermostat, and run the compressor continuously?

-SP

5. OP
    OP
    PHATE-ALITY

PHATE-ALITY Member

Well i was under the impression that fridge compressors cycle on and off because they are not meant to run contiuosly. Perhaps im wrong.

PHATE

6. Silver_Platinum

Silver_Platinum Member

Any compressor can run 24/7, I know Mred32 has managed to and that is what I'm planning to do, a fan on the compressor would be beneficial but I doubt if it is highly necessary. Did your temps vary significantly whilst the compressor was "off"?

-SP

7. OP
    OP
    PHATE-ALITY

PHATE-ALITY Member

Well that fridge is gone now cos im not confident that i can wire it for continouse use.

When i had the fridge in its original setup(see pics above) my temps slowly rose whilst the computer was on, so im assuming that in that form it wasnt cooling very efficently so im not really sure how much the temp was affected by the cycling of the compressor.

Im pretty confident that long haired gits suggestions would have improved my temps alot, but i never got to try.

But when i get around to fixing my new fridge ill update with more pics and temps.

PHATE

8. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

stuff fridges, aircon are prob better suited to the task.. easily to mod to

9. chugga15

chugga15 Member

for christs sake, make sure you put some beer in the fridge this time. :weirdo:

10. javascripterror

javascripterror Member

Good idea to change the name from water cooling to beer cooling chugga15.

11. chugga15

chugga15 Member

how long do you reckon beer would last in a W/C rig? i know vodka has been done...maybe i should analyse multiple beers and see which has the best performance.

i have my money on the carlton draught that i have on fridays nights at 5:01PM. best brew ever....mind you metho would taste good then too....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  12. javascripterror

javascripterror Member

For our Tasmania membership I think BOAGS would be to viscous and clog up the pump head.