Fried Rice [56K Neg]

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by RavenKittie, Oct 11, 2006.

1. RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

Okay so I cooked fried rice tonight and had the camera handy so I thought what the hell!

Non Authentic Fried Rice

Ingredients
    • Rice
    • Half a Red Capsicum
    • Half a Green Capsicum
    • 3 Sticks of Celery
    • 1 Large Onion
    • 4 Rashers Bacon (or whatever meat you have)
    • Half a bunch of Shallot / Green Onions
    • 4 - 5 Eggs
    • 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce

For the Sauce:
    • Vinegar
    • Sugar
    • Tomato Sauce
    • Soy Sauce

Method

Chop up the onion, capsicums, celery and spring onion into little diced pieces like so:

[​IMG]

Then crack your eggs, I usually use 4, but I used 5 because I had to feed more people:

[​IMG]

Add a tiny splash of Soy Sauce to the eggs, and whisk them (or use a fork because I don't have a whisk). Meanwhile get your rice ready:

[​IMG]

Then chop up your meat. We had bacon so I did a few rashers of that and finely diced them. I had to fight off the cat but in the end I chopped them:

[​IMG]

Heat up a big ass pan or wok, and dump the egg in. I used this electric pan because the wok isn't big enough to mix enough rice in:

[​IMG]

It gets tricky, you have to wait till it's semi cooked then divide it up into little squares and flip them till both sides are golden:

[​IMG]

Then whack the squares onto a cutting board. Note the Oven Yum Cha, after work the last thing I feel like doing is hand making the stuff that goes with the rice!

[​IMG]

Theres a picture of the oven bounty:

[​IMG]

Roll up the egg squares and finely slice them and admire your bounty:

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

I'm lazy and manage to burn rice in a pot so I bought a cheap $20 coles rice cooker. I lost the cup, so I just guestimate, and when we make rice we usually have enough left over for lunch the next day for me and my partner:

[​IMG]

Shove your meat in the pan/wok and fry it up good. I put a teaspoon of peanut oil in first and get it nice and hot:

[​IMG]

Chuck your veges in the pan once the meat is looking cooked:

[​IMG]

Mix it in and leave it sit until the onions look translucent / cooked. This is the stage where all the stuff starts smelling good and the animals come out and start hassling you for food. Then the men come out, and ask how long till dinner. In the first couple of photos you might have seen Vege Salt, I put a teeny bit of that on with the veges

[​IMG]

Once you've cooked the crap out of it, move it to the back. The ovens been pre-heating and the rice cooker takes forever, so I popped in the oven food at this stage:

http://images.ravenkittie.com/ocau/cooking/rice/image13.jpg

OK So now Im bored and waiting for the rice to cook. I started on the dodgy sauce, and here are the ingredients:

[​IMG]

Basically add equal parts of the ingredients, and mix well:

[​IMG]

OH NOES the rice is overflowing!

[​IMG]

OK. Crisis averted, and the rice is done so chuck it in the pan:

[​IMG]

Mix the crap out of the rice and veges like so:

[​IMG]

Add in the egg pieces, and then sprinkle a bit of soy sauce over the rice. Stir it all up really well and let it sit on low heat for a few minutes:

[​IMG]

The stuff out of the oven looks almost done now:

[​IMG]

Get your plates ready, stuff's probably burning by now:

[​IMG]

And then dump the food on the plates. I didn't feel like oven food, but the boys did:

[​IMG]

Heres a closeup (note to self I suck at the camera skillz):

[​IMG]

And then 10 minutes later it was inhaled. This made enough to put on those 3 plates, plus a lunchbox size container for my friend to take home (apparently he likes the rice) and then another 2 containers for lunches tomorrow.

This recipes not really healthy, but it's good every now and again. :D

3. scon

scon Member

Good one! I love fried rice... Nice chopping skills btw... everything always tastes better when chopped up in little cubes. I love putting lap cheong (?) chinese sausage in with mine, but the g/f hates it. But yes... i would scoff that down in a second!

4. splosh123

splosh123 Member

Mmmmm... looks fantastic. Are you're meals always like this? If it is, can i come over one time and eat your food? :p

5. OP
    OP
    RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

Ooo I like chinese sausage too, but the last time I went shopping I got hit with the "Aww don't buy that it's too expensive" Grr. Some people don't appreciate a good meal! That white knife was given to me by my mum a few years ago, it's some Wiltshire knife and I'd die without it, it's the only knife that actually cuts properly :D

Hehe thats probably the only half decent thing I can make apart from basics. It took about 2 hours from prep to plating so it's a rare occasion :p I wish I knew how to make it taste more chinese-ey but it's not a bad feed :D.

When I first read your post I immediately thought of this picture:

[​IMG]

:lol: :lol:

6. pugsley

pugsley Member

Looks good raven, pretty much like the one i make but i like to add chinese sausage and some prawns (big fresh ones on occasion but mostly little canned ones) Mine has peas in it too.

7. mcps

mcps Member

Good work.

One trick for cooking decent fried rice is, you leave the rice in a container overnight so that water will come out of rice. Then fry it. The rice will not be as sticky as newly cooked.

Reducing water when boiling rice is another way, but as least for me it always doesn't come as good as overnight rice :thumbup:

BTW you might want to replace onion with Chinese/Spring onion. Chop the spring onion in to slices, heat up oil in a wok, drop spring onion slices into hot oil for around 30 secs - this makes sure the spring onion smell gets in to the oil. Then put everything else in.

Fried rice is a bit oily though.. I always feel bad in my stomach after eating this stuff but when I was young my grandmother loved to cook this :upset:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  8. Tankii

Tankii Member

ahh yes... fried rice.. heavenly food to year 12 students.. i could live off this! :p

when i make it i do similar, 'cept i use 'nase goerng' (sp) packet rice flavour..... stuff. makes it all orangy and spicey ^-^

also i usualy put in come chunks of carrot :) sooo delicious :thumbup:

9. scon

scon Member

Oh yeah... forgot... this is great advice... dries out the rice a little and makes it's texture really good. Another good addition is shittake mushrooms if you've got'em.

10. OP
    OP
    RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

Ooo Tankii seasoning packet sounds good. I probably would have used carrot except we were out :(

When you do rice overnight, are you supposed to leave it in a container? I've seen people kind of flatten it over a pan / tray and refridgerate. I think I'll try that next time, if I can cook the rice before hand it will probably save time too, alot of that dinner was hanging around waiting for rice!

11. BC%

BC% Member

Very nice!

You can just stick the leftover rice in a container or a bowl (just stick some glad wrap over it) and put it in the fridge overnight. Same thing :)

12. scon

scon Member

If you only cook it about an hour before, you can have it on a plate, otherwise a container's sufficient. If you want to dry it superfast, get a fan blowing on the plate as well.

13. Reaper

Reaper Member

Sticky rice: (not)

1. Don't cook the crap out of it so it's turned inside out. Make sure it's still firm, almost crunchy, but soft.

2. Rinse the crap out of it. Put it into a strainer after cooking and just get right into it with your hands and move it all around as you have water going over it. Get as much of the starch/scum out of it as you can.

I've found pretty much the perfect fried rice is to go and buy a large container of standard fried rice, (typically already has ham, spring onion, egg in it), then take it home and add some more of your own ingrediants:

1. Some bacon (dice it yourself, pre-diced is all fat). About 3-4 short cut rashers.
    2. Some Australian medium tiger prawns chopped up into 3rds. (Peel and chop yourself). Always test taste the first one, and if it's not salty enough, add salt to them, but most of the time they're fine. About 200g (about 12 prawns) worth.
    3. Some frozen mixed vegetables.

Just cook the bacon, no oil is ever required to cook bacon, (I never ever add any oil or butter or other fat when cooking bacon as you just don't need to, and I use SS pans/pots, no teflon crap), take the bacon out onto a plate.

Next put some water into the pan, probably a couple of mm's worth depth. Also if there is any bacon scrapings come up from adding the water to the pan, just wash it out. Add a bunch of frozen vegetables. Cook/boil them until the water is gone and they are hot, don't forget to stir them around occasionally too. Add the bacon and prawns and heat for a little, next add the store fried rice and just mix/heat it all through.

Serve and scarf the whole lot as it tastes fucking incredible. :D

14. dafidav

dafidav Member

heres a trick what my dad does when he makes fried rice:

when you are done adding everything and you are done, crack 1-2 eggs, beat it up and slowly pour this over the rice with the heat on, then slowly turn the rice so that it gets evenly coated, this makes the rice less sticky, add flavour and gives it a nice colour too

try it and see!

15. Impression

Impression (Banned or Deleted)

Damn that's some nice fried rice well done :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

Thanks guys :p !

I'm going to try the rice in the fridge thing next time I make it. I had leftovers for dinner tonight so I'm all riced out for awhile I think!

I'm into the cooking thing at the moment, OCAU hasn't had an iron chef for awhile now... :D

17. danielsan

danielsan Member

Sesame oil is great added in last couple minutes of frying:)

18. Szemen

Szemen Member

O~ lookes really nice! My recomendation is to use overnight rice, they have a drier texture to them, which suits fried rice more IMHO.

19. SyN

SyN Member

authentic fried rice uses leftover rice thats been in the fridge for the night.
    it gives the rice a better texture. also cook EACH of the ingredients seperately and so at the end you give the rice a quick fry then just mix in the goodies.

eep i better not reveal any more authentic secrets!

20. FLoRa

FLoRa Member

Today's left over steamed rice, is tomorrow's fried rice :)