Front rad mount or top rad mount?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by im late, Nov 8, 2018.

1. im late

im late Member

So for the last several WC builds, I have always been able to mount my XE360 at the front. Always worked a treat for me, cooling-wise.

Now I am using this case for my latest build and it has tons of room for front or top.

Issue is..last night I mounted my tube res/rad setup at the front.

But my strix 1080 is too long to fit.

So I have three options I can think of:

A. Mount the rad at the top exhausting out, tube res mounted at the front
    B. Buy this riser cable and mount the GPU vertically which allows me to leave the rad/tube res at the front
    C. Try and swap this 1080 with waterblock for a ref PCB version with waterblock.

I am thinking option A as it does not cost me any more money, also liking the idea of option b as vertical mount means no GPU sag (this dam strix weighs a tonne). C is a pain in the arse, unless someone local.

I assume mounting at the top is not going to impeded my cooling efficiency much?

Thoughts?

2. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Doesnt make a hugely noticable difference if you have good airflow through the case. For no money down, roof mount. If you have spare sheckels laying around vertical mount the gpu seems to be the fad.

3. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

Thanks, I might try that first and see how it goes.

4. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

I went to fit everything just then. The singularity res brackets are only designed to bolt onto threaded holes on a rad, not onto the holes on fans.

I could find some suitable bolts that go straight trough the bracket holes and through the fan holes, but for the time and effort I might as well spend the $39 and get the thermaltake x16 cable riser....then I know all will fit fine.

I am too tired to think of other ways so off to bed for me.

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Top mount is fine but you will still need airflow from the front.. so if you have a spare 3 fans for the front that would be the cheapest way to go. If you don't, then the riser and front mount makes more sense, and looks good too.

I'm sure the singularity brackets could be modified to fit directly to fans? Different length screws obviously, but do they go through the fan mount holes? If so then it should just be a matter of enlarging the holes?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

It is just a matter of enlarging the holes on the brackets, but then I would need to find fan grub screws double the length of regular ones as the brackets are quite thick. And my tube res is 250mm, so with pump fitted and water it is very heavy and needs secure mounting.

I don't really want to mod the brackets...

But as I wrote, I could also source longer bolts and suitable nuts (from Bunnings).

I had a glance at the build just then and I am not liking the rad/fan setup up the top, looks like not much thought has been put into the build. So empty at the front where it should be (astecially). Also makes board swaps a little tricky removing the top board screws.

I will upload a pic later, tell me what you think..:lol:

7. Tazor

Tazor Member

I think in that case front mounting will affect cooling more than top mounting.
    Top mount with some front low RPM airflow fans is a good option, the issue with these cases is the glass panel on the front completely strangles airflow as they don't leave enough space to let ample air in to aid the intake.
    Pretty much a form over function trend in newer cases, but for radiator fans this can be an issue as they tend to require more air than just low rpm case fans.

Cos it's glass I reckon 2 140mm fans with LED rings on the front would look really nice, then mount the radiator on the top with your high static pressure fans.
    That's what I'd do.
    No reason you can't also vertically mount the GPU for aesthetic purposes no?

8. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

Some good opinions there thanks.

Leaving the rad at the top means I have to make a trip to Bunnings (obviously not an issue).

Then pickup the riser cable for something different...as I wrote above I hate GPU sag. I had a strix 1080Ti before and that sagged, so I expect this to as well.

I have two basic corsair 140mm airflow fans I can use at the front for now.

9. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

I am going to be honest, I really do not like this case. Reason is it is far too wide and far to high for my likes/where it sits..

Plus the front intake has no bloody dust filter, instead a small grill/opening for the airflow/intake. :sick:

I miss my R6 and Evolve.... :upset:

museumman likes this.
  10. Tazor

Tazor Member

Turf it and try and Metallicgear to be different :lol:

Thermaltake cases have come a long way, but they're very hit and miss and my experience is a solid concept with poor real world usability and questionable decisions.

11. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

I love the case range from over east (inc metallicgear) but postage kills it for me (and I am sure MANY WA membersas well). :lol:

For example that Neo case would cost me $193 landed.

A little extra I can get the R6 local pickup.

Totally agree. For example this case has very impressive room and mount options for rads, heaps of room for cable management.

But filtering (to me that is the most important factor) is the miss in this case (no pun intended).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Tazor likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

I am gong to try to, thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.:thumbup:

I might just pickup another R6 local and make sure I keep it....

13. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Im not much of a TT case fan. Loving Corsair and Phanteks and Fractals as staple easy to build well thought out and reasonable price for the build quality. Think you making the right move, shouldnt need to compromise in a case, if you do its not the right case. GLWS.

14. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

Cheers,

I have keep my watercooling hardware for the last several builds, I too should have kept the R6 for all future builds. Silly mistake on my part selling, but oh well move on...