Frostpunk

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by RnR, Jan 17, 2018.

1. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

Oh man im loving this game so far, i failed twice on first scenario but its fun to start again cause you can plan things out better. Great game so far and only played it last night but for a good 6 or 7 hours, its super relaxing.

#Main issue for me is, the game runs worse the more you pay it. feels like a RUST style memory leak but i think its more the fact that the longer you play the more hectic shit gets on screen.

#steam hubs - do they work later in game ? i found that i had a lot of them around but when you get to minus -60 they seem to do nothing.

#does stacking workshops make research faster? is their anyway to research more than 1 thing at a time ?

#the law system is a bit shit IMHO needs more variation.

2. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Yeah its great. Love the visuals!

I have had the game pause once on me for like 20-30 secs and a total freeze which farked the backgrounded steam exe as well. But the auto save was fine and I had only lost 30secs of game play.

The steam hubs works really well, they extend the heat level of the generator to their own little area. So if you are getting no effects from the steam hubs, look into boosting the heat levels from the generator in the tech tree as this will help the steam hubs as well. Edit: and be careful with the steam hubs, they cost a tonne in coal. If you plan right, you can minimise their usage... ie place industrial area's 8 road segments away from the generator, so medical and housing gets generator heat and as you tech up the generators range, you can continue to expand your housing.

Stacks up to 4. And remember you can send the kids to help for a further bonus. I found this to be very strong. Only one tech can be researched at a time.

Agreed. The tech tree is pretty decent though. I also hope for random crater layouts to force you away from the perfect circular builds around the generator and forcing you to use steam hubs more.

Edit: just had a thought... what if you could only pass laws half as often, or even slower? You couldn't pass them all, and you are forced to pick carefully.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  3. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

Ive also had the 20secish freeze where i thought my pc locked up completely but the game recovered almost had a heart attack.

am gonna restart the game many times so will try the steamhubs out again. Workshops stacking upto 4, Good to know. I try to avoid using kids to work most of the time, but may have to whip them into gear.

And imho they should re do the whole law tree, the fighting arena one is good, hope drops when building a brothel though ? whhhattt?? the food options also suck, its either sawdust or watered soup ?

I like how you can train the kids to be engin / medics, they should expand on this a bit more ( maybe they do later ), Im hoping in future you find a settlement and have to fight them, maybe you can train the kids to be snow ninjas.

edit : i also forget that you can turn off heaters n stuff in workshops when not needed and taking hunters out of huts when not hunting etc, You can play this kind of passive and chill ( the way i do ) but to play it properly and finish it i think you actually need to use your brain a little lol

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  4. the_pessimist

the_pessimist Member

was fun while it lasted, played it through 2-3 times each scenario, gets pretty boring quick after that though.
    Once you figure out a strategy that works you're pretty much set.

5. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Yeah - their older game - similar concepts kinda - This War of Mine has more replayability at this point. If you liked Frostpunk, give that game a go. You manage a small set of people in the middle of a city caught in a civil war. Looks like a 2d platformer, but it works really well.

I look forward to the changes coming from the devs - I hope they just won't add more scenarios, but also add more depth and randomness.

6. Ck21

Ck21 Member

Got through the first scenario, and got to day 44 :leet: and tech lvl3 with like 8 people left and used the faith tree to become almighty leader, that hope mechanic shut me down a few times... lol, im assuming that if you go the law and order route, it shutdowns discontent like faith does to hope.

2nd scenario is unlocked, but havent attempted it yet.

game is tough, pretty unforgiving as well. graphics are slick as :thumbup:

the little peons that keep getting sick and damn amputees are annoying as ****. Take that away and the game would be 10x easier i reckon...

also... wtb sandbox mode without the doomsday putting a hard limit on time.

7. the_pessimist

the_pessimist Member

I actually have it in my steam library, just never got around to installing/playing it (actually forgot all about it lol). Might install and give it a run through.

8. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

tried the ark missions for the first time today. got to where you need to save 8k coal and failed, managed to get around 6kish coal saved up but i fucked up at the start and forgot about the beacon so did not have much people to work with, by the time my scouts found any other people it was time for them to come back because of the storm, by the time they got back it was already GG hehe.

9. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Cannibalism is still in the game apparently - you just have to keep starving your people... eventually you get some special events happening...

https://imgur.com/a/iDQmeTE

Don't forget to build a snowpit :)

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Have been watching a playthrough from youtuber cougarific and decided I needed to give this a go. Jingles effort was hilarious too, deploy the pimp hand of stalin! Beat it on the first playthrough, was still a blast though. Definitely keen to go again and not make some of the same mistakes. It's quite similar to many games of this style though, ignore the obvious story lines, advance tech first and focus on resources and you do just fine. I got through the final storm with pretty much no discontent. I went down the faith path and had all my special abilities off cool down, as well as having declared myself the almighty, so hope wasn't an issue. I saved the genny overdrive for the last day too so was able to keep everyone happy through the final cold snap. I only just started to receive stress warnings as it was coming to an end.

The only serious error I made was not exploring one of the outpost cities, meaning I couldn't set up an outpost that supplies steam cores. Extra cores would have been helpful during the final storm, but I had so many people and so many stored resources it wasn't an issue.

I particularly liked the end game where it shows you a timelapse of your playthrough. Really nice touch to cap it all off.

I had a good chuckle towards the end when people start refusing to go to work. Looking at the heat map, my houses were either cold or very cold, most of the workspaces were livable, they were better off at work than home lol.

11. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Nice one Mr Evil - I have to make a run where no Laws are passed.

12. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

The first scenario was really difficult for me when i first played it but now its super easy, i think ive completed it 10-15 times just trying different ways to do it. this is my favourite game to play when i just wanna chill and watch netflix or twitch on my second monitor :)

edit : what kind of coal are you guys ending up with in the first scenario ? Im ussually sitting on 6-8k mid game and then by the time the storm hits im on 15-17k and then i just power through the last storm.

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I spent most of the playthrough on about 3-4K coal, then at about the 2/3 mark upgraded in a hurry from standard coal mines run by people to advanced mines run by automatons. At that point it seemed like I was having to build new storage depots every few mins to keep up. By the time the storm hit I had about 17K coal, and I don't think it dropped much below 12 or 13K by the end of the storm.. Little sketchy on the details now though, I could be lying to you :) All 3 of my mines plus a thumper + 2x gathering posts kept running throughout the storm though, until the final temp drop where nobody will work.

I think I had something like 7K food rations at the start of the storm too.

14. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

Sounds about right to be honest :)

The two constants i have every time is #1 : a SHIT TONNE of supply depots, and a SHIT TONNE of hunter hangers or hot houses. I usually always do the food rations for the ill law so its nice having a lot of food to throw at them to heal faster. On the last one i did i had a ring around the entire city of supply depots, and it was 2 depots wide lol.

I like using the hunter hangers cause when you have like 10-15 of them it looks really cool with the red glow and seeing all the little ships fly off hehe.

15. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That's something I realised I was doing wrong towards the end. I had so many spare people doing nothing and it took me far too long to realise I really needed to put them to work as hunters. I could have completely avoided signing the soup law if I had. I would have made it without the soup law, but it wouldn't have been with the ridiculously comfortable margin that I ended up with, I probably would have been pretty worried by the end.

Looking forward to starting another play through and going down the law and order path. At the end the faith path didn't seem quite so terrible as I thought it would be. I didn't really have to do anything that bible thumping crazy, it was basically just more of the same that I'd already been doing the whole game, only people complained less. Wonder how I'll go as a nazi :p

17. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

I found the Faith path to be a lot easier to keep faith high and discontent low, But i do like the foremen law on discipline, i think each one favors different things but im not to sure. this game would probably be a lot easier if we read some guides or the wiki but fuck that.

18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Haha, the mistake I made in not scouting tesla city was because I had read what happens if you send your scouts in, so I didn't. Only after I realised that by not scouting you can't set up an outpost there. If I didn't know I wouldn't have made that mistake :p

19. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

here is the weird thing...the first like 10 times i always avoided tesla city because i was SURE the first time i sent them in...they all died? or got electrocuted or something??? but then one day i clicked it by accident and found out you can setup a steam core outpost.... Im not sure if i imagined them dying the first time or what lol

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Nah that's exactly what happens. If you scout it they all vanish, but it unlocks the outpost. If you go for the option to just search the outskirts the site is marked as searched and you can't put the steamcore outpost there, meaning you're stuck with whatever ones you brought home from other sites. So if you elected to set up the coal outpost instead of dismantling the mine and/or elected to use the automaton on the bridge instead of dismantling it and sending it back, you'd be down 4 or 5 steamcores at the end of the game with no way to get more. Finishing with so few steamcores would be extremely difficult.