Frostpunk

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by RnR, Jan 17, 2018.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Started my 2nd run through last night, nazi path this time. I'm finding it even easier than faith, although it did take a little longer to reach a 'comfortable' stage with hope/discontent. By day 25 though, hope bar is full and there's no discontent, fully recovered from the arrival of that jerk from winterhome who ruins everything. I've only got 8 londoners left and they won't last much longer either. Something I didn't see in my last playthrough was a rather insistent popup saying that people have been working long hours and need a break. Take a discontent hit every time you ignore it. At a certain point I wasn't able to ignore it though, it was either send in the guards or give them 3 days on standard shifts to 'rest'. Thankfully by that point I had foreman unlocked and was easily able to keep up with production, and I had a butt load of stores anyway. Giving them the break also completely eliminated all discontent too, at least a quarter of a bar gone instantly.

I'm now pretty much just focusing on upgrading tech, stockpiling stores and getting all the scouting done. I got my steamcore outpost up this time as well. Seems it's a dice roll as to whether you lose your scouting team at tesla city too. I went in last night and just got a message about how it was scary until they figured out how to turn off the lightening. After that I was able to immediately set up an outpost and start receiving the juicy juicy steamcores. I'm up to my 6th automaton now :p

Worst part about any of this is that at around midnight I decided to grab a glass of water and I'd finish up 'in a little bit'. Got up to get ready for bed 'a little while' later and realised it was a little after 3am :Paranoid:

RnR likes this.
  2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Really spoilerific final cold snap and end game timelapse for my order and discipline playthrough :)

Also, triple posting ftw :Paranoid:

3. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

Nice i was thinking of doing this as well, will have to check your vid and see how it compares.

I streamed the first scenario and completed it the other day, took about 2 hours i think. ended with 630ish people.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

This playthrough confused the hell out of me. I kept getting the notifaction that a ceremonial funeral had begun, but I also got the achievement for finishing without anyone dying. *shrug

I've thought about streaming.. I don't think I have enough personality for it though. I need to be half cut before I'm any fun to be around and I don't think my liver could handle that level of continuous consumption :p

5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Another spoiler rich vid, ending of the arks scenario. Spoiler tags because even the name gives something away.

This was a different take on the game compared to the main scenario. I struggled with the lack of manpower and struggled almost the entire game with resources. A lot of that was due to dumping resources into researching genny upgrades, but in the end you don't have to face the storm, so that was all wasted effort. Ah well :)

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

First attempt at the refugees hasn't gone so well. A nice summary would be 'everyone dies'. Despite everyone being housed, everyone being warm, everyone just gets sick and seemingly stays sick. I had to stop playing because the 'x number of people died!' bell was starting to tilt me so badly. Also for seemingly no reason on this scenario, whenever I have a deadline, the workers simply refuse to do what needs to be done to fulfil it. Need people to eat? 100+ rations just sit there uneaten, nobody will eat. Need to house people or build X building by some deadline? Yeah forget that, workers won't build. Doesn't matter if I have people assigned to stuff or not, they just cbf'd. For a real poke in the eye, when I built my first atomaton, I desperately needed it to start working the steelworks. It wandered off and started building a bunkhouse, because reasons. I had unassigned people, but they were off having a wank or some damn thing. Anything but what you need them to do.

Edit:

A little easier the 2nd time through. Slight change in priorities kept me afloat. Still very difficult keeping people alive towards the end. Spoiler vid again:

The ending just springs up on you out of nowhere. One minute you've 'resolved the class divide', next it's telling you you are divided, but you have survived? Um.. ok? Also would have liked another few days in game to get the last of the living arrangements sorted. The abrupt end kinda left me wanting lol.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  7. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

That scenario can take a bit of planning, i had to do it 3 or 4 times before i was happy with the result. You need a lot of food and have to time your tech research.

It also suffers from bugs like the previous scenarios where it asks you to heat homes even though every house is liveable or comfortable, very annoying

8. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

9. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Played through the first scenario over the last few days

First time, I could see it wasnt going well, so I restarted
    Secondtime, the Londoners caused too much discontent
    Third time, I thought I would try it on easy, just to see how easy it was. manged to make it to the end, but only just. people were dying all over the place

Going to give it a fourth go tomorrow :)

10. Tinian

Tinian Member

Finally had some free time and played this on the weekend. Once I worked out the resourcing requirements, it was pretty simple. A game that rewards a lot of pre-thought in the initial stage.

Then I tried the next scenario (Arks) which was harder thankfully. First run I couldn't save New Manchester. It's pleasing that what worked well in the first scenario would not work in this one.

Now I'm trying the Refugee scenario and pleasingly, this appears even more difficult on the first run through. The devs are clearly putting some serious thought into this game. I would like to see the consequences of Law choices ramp up and a random variation of resources through the locations scouts can explore.

11. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

New scenario coming on Sep 19th...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/323190/announcements/detail/1696058394200593653

EvilGenius likes this.
  12. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

RnR and EvilGenius like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Its out.

Tinian likes this.
  14. the_pessimist

the_pessimist Member

Finished it but it took me a good 3-4 tries before i could. i found it Substantially harder then the previous scenarios!
    Went the faith route as that was the easiest way to raise hope while teching up, Also had 2 scout teams going around searching for steam cores as they are vital.
    Also make sure to disable and demolish tents outside heat zones (except for 2 locations where i added steam hubs) as it prevents your people getting sick and dying as well.

Forgot to mention engineers are incredibly valuable in this scenario and managing them effectively is critical.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  15. the_pessimist

the_pessimist Member

Well trying it again, seems like that successful play through was more of a fluke of circumstance then an actual sound strategy :/

I've attempted it twice more and failed both times, It's been incredibly frustrating. It seems to stem from too many people getting sick/gravely sick then dying. Pumping up the generator heat level isn't a sound strategy either as you cant produce enough coal to run it at those levels for a prolonged period.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  16. BAK

BAK Member

Late to the party on this game but wow, it's challenging. I only just managed to get past the first scenario on easy after a couple of false starts, I gave up on normal after 2-3 tries - now I have an idea of what I'm doing (steam cores++! factory->automatons!) I might survive on normal... it's refreshing to play a game that isn't just a straight shot from beginning to end. Also frustrating at times. :p

RnR likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Soon...

:D

18. Tinian

Tinian Member

Big fan of 11 Bit Studios with Frostpunk. Really enjoying the scenarios they've developed and their roadmap is encouraging. The only problem with endless mode is I don't have the time to devote to it that I'd like.

19. Tinian

Tinian Member

Endless mode dropped overnight.

RnR likes this.
  20. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

Curious to see how this works, I would love to eventually see us be able to know down moutain sides and expand the base properly, let us build a second steam core n stuff.