Frostpunk

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by RnR, Jan 17, 2018.

1. PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

For someone starting the game fresh, would endless mode be a good idea or should I start on another mode first to gain the skills etc.?

2. Tinian

Tinian Member

You could use Serenity Mode in Endless (there's two; endurance which is harder vs serenity) to develop the knowledge of the game. Then try the other modes for the challenge. Remember you can change the difficulty of each challenge anyway.

I've found my first issue in Frostpunk. Crash to desktop on day 62 playing endless mode.

3. zbone

zbone Member

God damn, this game is indeed hard on Hard setting. Really struggling with The Arc scenario. People either rioting, I am running out of resources or the seeds are dying. Sometimes all of that.

4. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Yup - the other day I flicked the difficulty to Hard... you just can't do everything you want and be a nice guy about it. I tried 4 times in rapid succession before quitting in disgust at my Nice Guy Dictatorial Attitudes(tm). The other thing I have to try is a run without passing any laws... or maybe limit myself to something like 4 laws.

5. Tinian

Tinian Member

I've noticed a "good" strategy if you're prepared to be a competent dictator is taking decisions that increase discontent deliberately to take advantage of laws that reduce discontent and increase hope, or reduce the population such as triage.

6. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

New content is out...

7. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

8. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Frostpunk is getting a DLC. Not much information other than it will have a comparable scale of the original scenario.

9. zbone

zbone Member

Having problems with Frostpunk arbitrary dying every 5-10 minutes. Tried every dev's recommendation with no avail. All this while pirated version works perfectly fine.
    I mean, I purchased it to support the developers because I loved the game and not going to go apeshit because of that, but come on - I can't rely on pirate groups to fix the game for me.

10. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Have no issues here. Used the steam version last night in a standard run. Super old Win 7 system too.

Its been a while for me. Failed a couple of runs, but then nailed it. 4 workshops is king and managed to get the Golden Path achievement - whatever that means. Time to up the difficulty.

11. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Just found out about this game.
    Been playing it nonstop for a week straight. :leet:

Tinian and RnR like this.
  12. neRok

neRok Member

Grabbed this game on special a few weeks ago, and sunk ~10 hours into it yesterday. It's good! This studio knows how to make a good game (I also like This War of Mine).

I'm on my first play through and up to the end game (final freeze?). I made some terrible mistakes throughout the game. In particular, I didn't explore and setup outposts early enough, and I lost multiple explorers carrying goods near Tesla City (one group lost in Tesla City, another in the approaching storm before the 8 day warning). The last one was particularly bad, as it left me low on steam cores, so I could not build as many automatons as I would have liked. I also made some terrible building placement decisions in the early game, before I figured out how the heat+insulation system works. I did a lot of things that really stunted my growth. I did however chose to rule with an iron fist, and the results were good. An execution drops discontent rapidly :lol:

I had to save scum a tiny bit as the final freeze started. I needed to gather 3126 food for the task, and only gathered ~3080 :upset: My hunters were getting back with a hoard, but couldn't quite convert the raw food in the tiny window. So I had to reload and ramp up production in the couple of hours before (I manual saved ~6 hour prior to deadline, which was sufficient window). I'm surprised to read how much stockpiles other people have had in this thread. I kept coal at ~7k, but everything naturally stayed at <1k (until I ramped up food for the end goal). I do have over 500ppl though (might even be in the 600's), and I see other people only have ~300.

So I think I have sufficient food and coal to get me through the final few days (automatons are supplying more coal than needed), and right now everyone has bungalows, which I will upgrade to houses (just did the cheap house tech upgrade). So fingers crossed I have success.

One thing I think they could improve is the exploration system. It seems OP. You can get significant resources quite easily, and the coal outpost supplies 800/day, which is huge (nearly as much as the top level coal mine). I recently played King of Dragon Pass, and I think the way random events happen to your travellers in that game would be a good system for this game - eg, events that put scouts in danger, or slow them down, etc. The amount of goods they are carrying should slow them down too. Stuff like that.

RnR likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

I had never used automatons before I played the Ark scenario. Always disassemble them to get steam cores and resources. Same with outposts - never used them. They are not needed at normal difficulty for an easy win. Get 4 workshops up asap, kids into medical jobs and just take it easy :)

Edit: interest genre neRok for King of Dragon Pass... a 'storybook strategy game'. I'm saddened that steam's Discovery Queue has never suggested this game for me... :(

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  14. neRok

neRok Member

It's a great little game. I got it for free from MrBlue in the free games thread :thumbup: The original version is from the late 90's. A lot of little things happen during a play through, where you have to make seemingly irrelevant decisions, that then make a huge difference later on in the game. Frostpunk and TWoM have the same thing, but to a far lesser extent.

I put an automaton on the workshop in the last few days, because that way it works constantly. I thought that was a good idea. I would have struggled to man 4 workshops in the first 3/4 of my current play through. I also would have struggled to keep up with the resource demands of doing so many upgrades. I guess it's one of those things - invest early and reap the rewards later. I also never used a Gathering Station, and underestimated the importance of medic tents. I used Triage a few times :p

Edit: As an example of my noob decision making, I built my cemetery within the 2nd heat range zone of the generator, to save on roads :wired:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  15. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

:D

A Gathering Post is usually my first or second building I make. They are pure win.

16. neRok

neRok Member

Well I finished it with ~510 survivors. Had ~570 at max. I stuffed up the ending too. I thought when the 3 level drop hit that I had to survive for 3 days - so I hadn't used generator overdrive up to that point. Then it hit and I activated overdrive, and 12 hours later the sun came out :lol: It was a bit anti-climatic :p

So I'm retrying it on extreme, and damn it's hard. Have had 3 attempts - the first 2 I handled resources incorrectly, the 3rd I was doing better but got kicked out of town for too much discontent. The runs were lasting 5-7 days before I bailed on them. Food seems to be the biggest problem, because hunters do not seem to bring enough back. I was using the sawdust food to get more volume, but then sickness became an overwhelming problem. I've got some ideas for run #4. I think priority number 1 is getting the cook house built on day 1 and the 50 raw food you start with cooked. If they eat that food raw, that's a massive loss of potential. The generator doesn't seem that important, because it seems to stay at a manageable -20°C for 2 or 3 days.

17. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

How many workshops do you get up in that 5-7 day period?

Been trying the Refugee scenario twice now... for some reason its not gelling for me. Will have another run today. Finished Arks easily enough once I realised that Automation is king in that scenario.

18. neRok

neRok Member

I tried building more than 1 workshop, but I forced it too early. The resources and labour would have been better spent elsewhere. If you jam your engineers up in workshops, then they aren't healing or gathering. So it's lose-lose.

I passed it on attempt 5. Attempt 4 started great, but some silly decisions stuffed it. I rolled back to the great start, and then completed it. I had up to 580 people, but finished with only 440. It was a brutal finish. Most of the game I was close to disaster. And then I was disappointed to discover that there isn't even an achievement for doing the main campaign on extreme :tired:

I'm gonna have another go on hard. I will try do it without child labour and hothouses. I've never used the flying hunters, for example. Apparently they are good. I also accidentally discovered at the end of this play-through that you can rotate buildings with middle button click. My layouts could have been so much better :upset:

Here's some tips if you want them (don't read if you want to work it out on your own);
    Delaying coal and generator start-up until necessary is the way to go, to maximise other resources. The people will survive without it for the first few days in tents. You need to use building heaters and/or steam hubs effectively ASAP, to keep workplaces warm. This means building workplaces in groups around the hubs. Preventing sickness is essential (eg, warm workplaces, good food), because then the engineers can spend their time in the Workshops. Sick people also mess up your discontent, and reduce workplace efficiency. Also, if people don't die, you don't have to introduce a law to deal with the dead, which means you can focus on productive laws. If you have excess workers, you can micromanage the people in workplaces (on the workers tab), to take out the sick and keep efficiency hgh. And don't take requests or introduce laws if you can't fulfil the requirements (ie, if wood/steel deficient, don't introduce a law that needs a building built).
    And this is one I read: use extended shifts basically everywhere. This will increase your base level of discontent, but if it becomes a problem, you can appease the people with a burst of generator overdrive. I avoided using the overdrive in the early to mid game, but that seems to have been a mistake.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    RnR likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    RnR

RnR Member

Nice one neRok - I finished Refugees scenario last night... Winterhome is next...

One more tip (don't read if you want to work it out on your own);
    Don't waste time researching generator range techs. Some folks over on reddit has calculated that its cheaper (from a coal perspective) keeping the gen at range 1 and just use steam hubs as needed.

20. Tinian

Tinian Member

Quick tip for Winterhome: Deal with the sick as your priority.

RnR likes this.