1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Frying Pan Recommendations

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by supasaiyan, Sep 9, 2014.

1. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Don't buy neoflam rubbish whatever you do. Works ok for a few weeks then turns into an absolute rubbish of a pan to use. I'm guessing all the other ceramic coated ones are along the same line so I'd stay away from those.

I've gone from Teflon coated to ceramic and now I'm using just stainless steel pan. Little bit more work cleaning it, but a good scrub with steel wool works a charm and the pan doesn't care about scratches. Unlike princess pans aka Teflon/ceramic coated pans. Other option includes seasoned cast iron pans.

3. lavi

lavi Member

i use a Scanpan and had it for about 6 years now and it's still awesome and I do abuse it, seasoned cast iron pans are fucking awesome! if my wife could lift them (she already complains about the chasseur cast iron pots). Once they got the patina going the put any nonstick pan to shame

4. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  5. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I just bought a set of Flavourstone stuff, the fry pan is very good. Not oven proof though.

You have to season it like a wok and use it on low to medium heat. Excellent heat distribution, no hot spots.

6. J-C90

J-C90 Member

Get a black steel fry pan - cheaper and better than any of the other gimmicky crap they try and sell you on these days. It's what real chefs use unless they are paid to use something else for marketing reasons.

My well seasoned black steel fry pan is my most used bit of kit in the kitchen.

7. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I bought a Jamie Oliver Tefal pan & wok for my wife which were fairly ordinary after 12mths (we didn't season them as per instructions and now there's a baked on layer over the non-stick coating). She has been using a $30 generic Kitchen Store pan for longer than the JO pans were functional.

8. apsilon

apsilon Member

Quality cast iron. Nothing beats it. No coatings to scratch or burn off, and it gets better with age. Can be used on gas, electric or real fire so can easily be thrown in an oven. Your great grand children will thank you for it.

No idea what brand most of mine are as they were my grand parents but my newest giant one is Lodge.

9. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Our Scanpan is holding up a lot better than our old Tefal.

10. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Agree with the cast iron recommendation. Holds so much more heat, and just cooks so much better than other pans. I have a good set of tefal, and my cheap car iron pans shit on them for steak etc. This is on a ceramic cooktop

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

I have mostly stainless steel, I like being able to bung in the dishwasher and give a decent scrub/gumptioning. One's a Raco I got at one of the chains, kMART or big w or somewhere, it's pretty good and wasn't hideously expensive, either.

I recently bought a small one, it's a baccarat and looks like those flavourstone jobs. I haven't used it yet. Got it on sale at House. It was (relatively) cheap they had 50% off or something so I won't be too bothered if it's not much shop.

If you want cast iron, you can get them (relatively) cheaply at the camping shops.

12. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I picked up the whole three pan set of Flavourstone for $140 brand new from a facebook sale, and they threw in a near new set of Optica pans with it.

13. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

My son bought me a set of circulon from Macy's similar to this. If you sign up for emails you'll also get 15% off so with postage the set will be around US$230. The pans have been fantastic, not a problem with them at all and they've been used for 9 months now.

14. apsilon

apsilon Member

I don't recommend it. They're generally not well made, the cast iron thickness may not be consistent so you end up with hot spots. The handles are usually the worst part though as they're often just some threaded rod welded on with a wooden handle over the top. These can easily break off and the wood handle means it's not a good idea to use it in an oven or over a fire.

If you're only going to use it camping once or twice a year then sure, maybe. But if you want a pan to use regularly at home that you could also take camping then it's worth paying a bit extra for a quality unit. Even the big name brands aren't that expensive.

If you can only afford cheap though have a look at op shops, garage sales etc. A lot of people get rid of them thinking they're too old or no good because they're not a whiz bang coated alloy modern pan. Might need some restoration but that not hard (heaps of vids on youtube) but if it's a vintage one it's well worth it. As I mentioned most of mine are from my grandparents (and for all I know they inherited them from someone else) so are at least 60 years old and look and work as new and are easily going to outlast me.

15. neRok

neRok Member

Cast iron user here! I've got a 10.5" Lodge, and it goes well.

I went to a camping store with intention of getting a big cast-iron pot (dutch oven), but had the same impressions as apsilon. The quality didn't look too good.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  16. broccoli

broccoli Member

Obviously you'd need to look at them. I've seen some that looked ok (not crap handles, just normal handles).

17. OzzieFarmBoy

OzzieFarmBoy Member

18. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

You do realised that Furi is actually pretty average knives backed by large marketing department and celeb endorsement that makes them sounds like they're actually better than they really are? It's like the BOSE of knives. However their pro range are supposedly decent.

Edit: looking at the link, looks like he's done it again. Limited edition collector's heirloom cast iron pans for $99 each... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  19. BGH

BGH Member

Opposite experience here. Tefal has seems to be holding up well for about a year now. Still as easy to clean as day 1.

Scanpan slowly degraded over a number of years.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Every brand has "good ones" and less good ones.... Unfortunately, which ones are which doesn't always seem to correlate with the price.