1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

FT02... Still good!

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by woja, Apr 11, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

Haha i tried serial and the temps are much better. I think the orientation of the gpu block makes it hard to push the air out. I ended up flushing it out 4 times and rejigged the loop into serial while empty a couple of times. It was neater parallel and now I'm not sure how to keep it neat in serial. Having the qdc does make life easier haha.
    I'm just bummed the parallel loop blows temperature wise.

Still have a bubble in the gpu block but easy to get rid of when I fill with the actual coolant, cbf tipping the case around more for now
    20210512_163006.jpg 20210512_163000.jpg 20210512_151033.jpg

BlueRaven likes this.
  2. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Shiny. :thumbup:

What temp/perf monitoring app is that? I'm used to using HWmon but you've got cartloads of extra info there.

Be interesting to see if your coolant temps drop with something like a 75/25 distilled water/glycol mix instead of the Mayhems.

This takes me back, been ages since I've done much custom WC banter. :D

3. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

https://www.trigonesoft.com/
    Remote system monitor on an old Android.

Last temps were the power load test on occt to pump as much heat into the system was on just distilled water. I don't think the temps will get better with the coolant.

Any tips of making the serial loop look neater?

MUTMAN and BlueRaven like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

Thinking I might simplify the look and do away with so many 90 and 45 fittings. I'll still will use the qdc.

Screenshot_20210513-105703_Photos.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

20210514_012237.jpg Okie dokies, done for now haha

BlueRaven likes this.
  6. BlueRaven

Exactly what I would have suggested. Looks pretty tidy mate. :thumbup:
    It's either that or completely reverse the flow direction through the loop (res-pump -> rad -> CPU -> GPU), which would give you a practically straight return pipe from GPU to res-pump.
    But would also put the long pipe to the CPU at the front which I think would look worse. And would also require another 90 between pump/rad which could hurt flowrate. :thumbdn:
    Certainly wouldn't improve it. I reckon you've nailed down the best way to do it.

So you're on to the super-fun task of sleeving then? :D

7. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

I did the sleeving but it's slightly too short to wrap behind the motherboard.
    I tipped the res/pump to gpu up a bit so it looks straighter.

20210514_083305.jpg

8. BlueRaven

Looks well tidy with the side panel on (aside from the sleeving tasks etc. you already mentioned) :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

I was still unhappy with the CPU temps. Moderate oc at 4.9 @1.335V adaptive was going well over 85 in prime95 non AVX and over 95+ on linpack xtreme. I ended up taking apart the block and there was some sludge in the fins. I should have done it before I installed the block but since I bought it from aqua tuning as a Bgrade item I assumed that they would have cleaned it before reselling it.

20210522_233741.jpg

It was only a little I guess but it was enough to screw with the temps. Most of the crap was caught in the inline filter as well.

20210522_234736.jpg

Bonus of soft tubing and quick disconnects means I can drain just the blocks and filter without having to empty the res and radiator

Now prime95 maxes at 74, linpack xtreme at 87
    I call that a win I guess Screenshot 2021-05-23 002147.png

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    BlueRaven likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

Again rejigged as per BlueRaven, had to flip the CPU waterblock, swap the inlet outlets for the GPU block and res but super simple because I kept the previous tubing I had used between the GPU and res inlet which made life easier.

Temperatures are even better which makes it worth while, worth noting that the water temps actually rises as expected as opposed to before where it just stuck in the low 30's when doing CPU benchmarks, now at least it rises and the coolant actually feels warm through the res window

20210524_140945.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    juzz86 likes this.
  11. BlueRaven

Nah, reckon it looked better with the return pipe at the back, you should put it back how it was.

:D

So you got a change/expected rise in coolant temps and better cooling performance at the IHS of the CPU/GPU by changing the flow path... but you didn't do a remount of either block.
    Now that's interesting... that behaviour looks for all the world like what you'd expect if you got lucky on a remount and achieved that mythical "perfect thermal interface".
    Hard to imagine that the flowrate has changed all that much, since total restriction in the loop hasn't changed much.
    *shrug*
    Black Magic. :lol:

12. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

Haha I have remounted the CPU but not the GPU, GPU temps have been good so I haven't bothered.
    When the loop was in parallel I remounted it 3 times to check it wasn't me being a clutz.
    The greatest improvement in temperature was when I dissembled the block and cleaned out the crud in the fins as well as cleaning out the inline filter.
    perhaps the changing of the block orientation 180 degrees provided a better contact patch between the cold plate and IHS?
    Flow rate would have improved a bit with the reduction of the number of 90 degree rotary fittings perhaps?
    In the parallel loop I had around 7 x 90 and 4 x 45 where as now I have 4 x 90 and no 45.

13. BlueRaven

forgot you cleaned some crud out of the block, derp :lol:

14. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

Finally did the pcie sleeving, just a little shorter than I'd like, hopefully not too much tension, bonus is that it hides the front panel connectors haha so I can skip that.

20210526_121418.jpg

juzz86, BlueRaven and Elmf like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

20211001_182657.jpg
    The Bay res pump vibration got the better of me so I picked up a tube res/pump off the forums, didn't realise it was a glass one rather than plexi one but it's all good. I was thinking about mounting it horizontally with inlet through the top of the tube but the bubbles kept going back into the pump.
    Changed the velocity to a magnitude block that I picked up cheap of Facebook Marketplace.
    I chucked in an 11700k and boy does it run hot in benchmarks. Runs a lot snappier in general though.
    Currently oced to
    51 2C
    50 4C
    49 8C
    @1.39 vcore adaptive
    Need to play with the V/F offsets to drop the voltage on the lower multipliers
    Rocket Lake voltages definitely doesn't scale nicely with the higher multipliers.
    Prime 95 no AVX is fine, avx2 shoots up to 99 degrees even with an offset, games are fine.

Building my wife a pc and I'll do a build log for that in a white Ssupd Meshlicious which should be fun.
    The 10600k with the ek velocity block, Asus z490i, asus 3070 dual with a byski block. Xr5 280mm rad and an iceman res pump with a ddc pwm.
    20211001_180725.jpg

juzz86 and BlueRaven like this.
  16. BlueRaven

Looks good man.
    Horizontally mounting the res under the drive bays would look great but yeah, problematic for bleeding and keeping air out of the pump I guess.
    The Noctua top mount fan still stands out like the dog's bollocks though... :p

Nice build for the missus! Seen a couple of Meshlicious builds around, they look great. Looking forward to the log.
    Seeing that Bykski box is like a kick up the arse to finally get in gear and finish my own WC/mod build. My 1070 block is still sitting in its box, shame, shame.

17. nope

nope Member

Rare asf to see anyone running ft01 or ft02 anymore here's mine IMG_20220610_115019.jpg

woja likes this.
  18. Current

Current Member

Nice thread, interesting pictures.

19. OP
    OP
    woja

woja Member

nope likes this.
  20. nope

nope Member

Ah I shame it's the best airflow I've ever had in a case using a weird downdraft setup. I should do a build log

woja likes this.