FTTC Home network gear advice

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by samboy, Feb 23, 2020.

1. samboy

samboy Member

Hi OCAU'ers

The supposed great NBN is in my area, we currently have Coax at home and I'm looking to upgrade my network and internet.

Looking at the 100/20 plans and since its FTTC I think it were getting is xDSL via copper, I believe this should go through an NBN NTU then ethernet.

I was looking at redoing the home network with Ubiquiti gear, including an edge router, and 2/3 AP's

We have at least 8 people using the internet at a time, so getting the wifi right would be good.

Trying to spend as little as possible while getting control of the network with the following equipment

Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter ER-X-SFP 6 Port PoE Gigabit Ethernet Router $125

X2/3 - Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE Dual-Radio Wireless 802.11AC Access Point $139 EA

Open to suggestions any better ways to do this?

2. willus

willus Member

If you've already got coax now, are you sure it's FFTC that's coming? Either way, it'll come out of the NBN box as ethernet.
    Not sure how big your home is but if there's 8 people in it I'm assuming 5ish bedrooms

There's no better way to do good home networking than what you've linked. I use and EdgeRouterX in my small house with a single old model LR unifi WAP sitting in the ceiling (which is not in spec btw) and it's been 100% rock solid

If it's brick internal walls, you may need 3 waps, if it's 2 storeys (and not concrete), 2 is fine. If you need wifi in the backyard I'd get at least one LR wap to cover that. Luckily you can just add more later if you need better coverage

3. connico

connico Member

8 on a single AP will depend on how much bandwidth each use consumes. Will some of those 8 be on wire at all?

4. OP
    OP
    samboy

samboy Member

Mostly Wi-Fi I think only I will be on the network

5. connico

connico Member

The equipment you listed is fine. I do recommend that you cable the APs to the router so you don't 1/2 your wifi bandwidth connecting the AP via wifi. Otherwise your equipment selection is fine