FTTH South Brisbane cable question.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by jl2k2, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jl2k2

jl2k2 Member

Hi guys,

Desperately trying to sort this internet issue I have now, really new to all these optical fibre broadband thing, and it's giving me massive headache.

Story:

Moving into South Brisbane Fibre To The Home district (4101) has made contact with Exetel as service provider. I now need to confirm that the land line has been setup correct by Telstra before I can sign up to Exetel (as been told by them, I need the land line telephone for FTTH)

Did a bit of research

Got myself an Asus N56U
    http://imgur.com/3cZ2Zxq,m3RvRT7,DzgEoZB,gRZSHPb#3

Standard Ethernet cable:
    http://imgur.com/3cZ2Zxq,m3RvRT7,DzgEoZB,gRZSHPb#2

The box inside my room:
    http://imgur.com/3cZ2Zxq,m3RvRT7,DzgEoZB,gRZSHPb#1

Inside of the box:
    http://imgur.com/3cZ2Zxq,m3RvRT7,DzgEoZB,gRZSHPb#0

So it looks like I need to hook the cable down to the female/female adapter, but what do I do with the other end? The standard cat6 eithernet cable doesn't fit into it.

It looks like I need some sort of optical > either net adapter? Is this another dogy job done by Telstra of not including those in the first place?

Input from you guy will be much appreciated, I am not really a IT illiterate person, but this is driving me nuts without a clear answer.

much appreciated,

2. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

That's definitely a fiber cable. You definitely can not plug any ethernet cable into it. You need a network termination device. I have no idea why you have fiber in the wall, but it's not supposed to be like that - at least according to the NBNCo rollout standards (which the South Brisbane exchange was not really a part of - Telstra had to move the exchange and are not laying copper anymore), but a network termination device converts that fiber media into copper ethernet.

That should be an ethernet jack in the wall, but again, I haven't got the foggiest idea why they did this. NTDs are traditionally mounted on the outside of the house (just like the Telstra boxes which are a demarcation point - at least that's the case for telephone lines. Again I don't know. I don't have the fortune of living anywhere near an area supplied by cable, or the NBN (and won't do for several more years. Thanks Tony. :rolleyes:)

But I digress. Call Exetel and show them the picture. They should lodge a fault with Telstra because that doesn't look quite right.

BTW, congratulations on having a 21st Century internet connection. I'd kill to have fiber running around in my walls.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    jl2k2

jl2k2 Member

Dude, I've been trying to sort this out for 2 weeks. I feel like 2004 rather then 2014...

I wouldn't mind just go naked ADSL 2+ and be done with it and enjoy all the unlimited download at same price...

Hopefully I can get something from Telstra tomorrow. Will report back

4. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Man, you have freaking fiber right there. I would do anything for that. Even if you could get ADSL2+ (you can't, because the exchange that used to service that phone line no longer exists), you'd be screwing yourself out of a service that's literally up to 50 times faster than the best ADSL2+ connection (depending on what plan you go for). Not to mention rock solid and virtually lag-free.

Get Exetel to lodge a fault with Telstra. If not, give Telstra a poke on Twitter or Facebook and show them the photo/this thread. Seriously, those guys are really helpful.

5. OP
    OP
    jl2k2

jl2k2 Member

Guess I am just a bit wore out by all these stuff.

I'll give it a shot, maybe it will restore my faith with telstra after having to wait on line for 30min+ today and took me 45min to get a telephone number. Their "Smart Home Team" ain't so smart...

thanks dude

6. martino

martino Member

The install appears to be half-done (or the previous tenant/owner has taken some of the Telstra equipment with them).

A Telstra network termination device (ONT) that terminates that fibre needs to be installed by a technician before anything will work. This is what you will plug your cable into.

Telstra indoor ONT:
    [​IMG]

edit: bit more info here - see attached doc

7. OP
    OP
    jl2k2

jl2k2 Member

Hi fellows,

Just an update on current progress.

Spent another hour and half with Telstra today and got some facebook confirmation with Telstra reps. Confirmed that the NTD is indeed missing, either stolen or never installed in the fist place.

I am now awaiting a call back from Telstra and confirmation that the land lord will cover the technician connection fee of $250 then to proceed with Exetel.

Technically speaking, the property management should be doing all the leg works, but I doubt that they'll know all these stuff (I went through hell to where I am now)

Oh, by the way, Telstra connected my land line against the wrong unit, so I've got that connection fee weaved for land line.

Thanks guys, have been much more helpful then the Whilrpool folks across the street.

Hopefully I get this sorted soon, this fibre thing has better to be worth it.

8. power

power Member

it's worth it, Sth Brissie has good fiber.

9. martino

martino Member

I would question whether such a fee would apply - Telstra should know whether they previously had network infrastructure (their NTD) installed in the premises and if it was not installed (or someone else has removed it), I would suggest that Telstra should be covering it.

I don't think the end user shouldn't be paying for this - but check Telstra's Velocity T&C's to be sure.

Is there bad fibre?

10. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Trust me, download speeds of 10MB/s, 25MB/s or 100MB/s are very much worth it. I also find it odd that Telstra say they've "reenabled" the landline, because as I said earlier, the exchange that serviced that landline no longer exists, and I very much doubt there is any copper in the new exchange whatsoever (hence the fiber rollout).

And Telstra did confirm what I had already said - there's no NTD there. What they didn't say is why there is fiber inside the house. I'm not sure if it's characteristic of their rollout, but it isn't of the NBN. NBN fiber terminates outside (much like the old copper and cable generally did), the NTD is usually on the outside wall - not inside the house. You should only have an RJ45 plug on the inside wall, which is what your router is supposed to connect to.

Good luck.

That's what I was thinking. :lol:

And to answer the question, no. It either works and it's great, or it doesn't work at all, there's not really an in-between with fiber reliability, like there is with copper.

11. caspian

caspian Member

even if it was installed, my understanding is that the first connection ever ordered still incurs the normal connection cost.

normally that first connection actually triggers the installation of the NTD, but I suspect South Brisbane may be unique due to the brownfields conversion done?

12. martino

martino Member

This was my thinking too (should have elaborated on that).

OP: is the premises a new build or recent construction? ie: last 1-2 years.

13. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Comparing to the NBN (again), isn't the installation of an NTD performed by NBNCo, and the cost of doing such is also borne by them?

I also question why the OP would need to pay for an NTD, as it's mandatory for a fiber connection to be useful, and, consequently, is also mandatory for a telephone service - something that I thought Telstra is obliged under law to provide and hence, shouldn't cost the customer anything. I don't know if the same applies under fiber - if it doesn't, that sounds a little shady.

The only cost the customer should be obliged to pay is the "connection" fee, i.e. actually connecting the service. Not replace the missing hardware required for it (you don't pay for a DSLAM or line card, do you?)

Though I may be wrong...

14. caspian

caspian Member

South Brisbane is a Telstra Velocity FTTP area, not NBN.

you don't pay for the NTD any more than you pay for a copper line. you pay for it to be installed.

shouldn't cost the customer anything? where did you get that idea? you have a USO-guaranteed right to access a voice service on demand. nothing says you don't pay for it.

15. martino

martino Member

16. martino

martino Member

FYI NBN fibre terminates inside the premises on an indoor ONT. There is a connection point on the outside of the premises (premises connective device or PCD) but the fibre continues from here inside.

Telstra initially rolled out outdoor ONTs for their BPON and GPON network - they now use indoor as well.

17. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

The previous tenant probably stole the NTD thinking it would be worth keeping :lol:

Fat lot of good it's going to do them.

18. caspian

caspian Member

usually, yes. an outdoor NTD is available when required, though.

mmm, and not the best decision either.

19. thetron

thetron Member

I evaluated the area for renting recently.

I could have fast internet with a bed on the ground in small room or sharing with a 3 people in one room.

20. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

There are probably people in some areas that would take offers worse than that to get internet better than they get not.