1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

FTTN modem testing

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by aideno, Jan 4, 2016.

1. aideno

aideno Member

Ive put this into Whirlpool and onto TPG forums, but I thought I would try out the folk in here, being technically minded.
    Bought Asus DSL-AC68U for its VDSL2, and plugged it in to my new FTTN. Only get about 50/13 when using the TPG supplied Huawei HG658, and wanted to see what else the line is capable of, if the SNR tweaks even work with this new NBN tech.
    When I plugged in my modem, it instantly shut down my port and after trying to convince TPG tech support of how to fix it, they finally listened and did a port reset, and my HG658 then syncs up again (literally no DSL light on any modem at the time, wasn't even trying to connect).
    Now I have the hassle of wanting to test out my new modem, but if I have to call TPG everytime I want to test the settings to do port reset, ill be frustrated.
    Anyone else been doing testing on this network?

2. Renza

Renza Member

Likely the DSL-AC68U is not on the approved list of VDSL modems for NBN's nodes and isn't correctly responding to certain commands that the nodes put out.

Can you check that G.Vector is enabled in the settings?

3. Pugs

Pugs Member

This... It isn't supported so ya know use what is... Till otherwise told by your RSP you can use your own gear

4. OP
    OP
    aideno

aideno Member

There are 2 G.993.5 options, one for non-standard which is currently disabled, and the normal one is activated. I believe G.INP was also on, but not sure if that's even supported by FTTN.

5. OP
    OP
    aideno

aideno Member

Do you have a list of what is supported and what is not? I cant seem to locate that anywhere saying that this modem isn't supported.

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

No i don't
    What your RSP has supplied. there are few off the shelf vdsl modems at the moment none have been approved to work on NBN. I have telstra training so they only support the modems they suppliy

7. OP
    OP
    aideno

aideno Member

Goodo, im ex-Telstra too :p

NBN hasn't said what is approved or not approved, just what is registered to have been working so far. Its up to the RSP's to test certain equipment, and they picked the cheapest and nastiest ones that could to get you up and going. Any VDSL2 modem that meets the requirements set out by NBN should work.

8. Primüs

Primüs Member

Exactly right. NBN Will not be maintaining a list of what is approved.

There are still even some concerns around faults and approved modems vs 'functional' modems.

At this time, you'll always be told to revert to the RSP tested and supported device. Your best bet is to chuck it in bridge mode and use an Ethernet WAN router, if the modem supports that.

9. OP
    OP
    aideno

aideno Member

Currently that's what im doing, leaving it in bridged mode. Sure hope there are some solutions to this in the future, I feel my line could achieve more than what this Huawei is doing, and even if it cant do more, there is no way to disprove it at this time. Well, except for the Billion 8800AXL that I also had running earlier that syncs slightly higher in uploads, but slower in downloads.
    Essentially have 3 VDSL modems, only 2 for sure work, and none of them are the ones that I want connected to the net :p

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

what plan are you actually on? and you have any idea where the node is ???

and how are you testing via wired or wifi??

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  11. OP
    OP
    aideno

aideno Member

On a 100/40 plan (since most RSP's now don't offer 50/20 tier), about 650m away from the node now getting 50/13. Everything being tested is wired, even had the socket moved to the garage so its as close to the lead-in as possible, removed every other bit of phone wiring in the house (was prepping for the day to move off ADSL2).

12. Pugs

Pugs Member

hmm ok.. even tho my training and such is purely from the big T's perspective i could go and look what their tolerance level is.. and pm you that.. it does sound slower than it should be.. of course each RSP has different levels of acceptable lose in signal for FTTN

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  13. OP
    OP
    aideno

aideno Member

Cant remember my line attenuation, modem syncs up at around 6db up and down SNR margin, which is the same as ADSL usually does on Telstra DSLAMs. Was on a RIM, node put right next to RIM but attenuation jumped up a bit, but being different tech its not really a way to compare. Was just hoping to get at least 20mbit upload.

14. Renza

Renza Member

as long as you get 25/5, no remediation will be done by NBNco no matter what the RSPs 'tolerance level' is. I believe it's 12/1 for the 18 month transition period, anyway.

15. caspian

caspian Member

I am *so* waiting until someone tries this. :)

16. Pugs

Pugs Member

Will it let the magic smoke out?

17. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

TransACT has had VDSL2 for quite some time (note in case it's not obvious - it's FTTN but not NBN), so you might find some interesting stuff on VDSL2 modems in the TransACT section of Whirlpool

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/67?g=46

The FRITZ!Box 7390 for example seems to be working, but from what I've read the speeds are worse than the Huawei units.

There's a discussion on the Asus DSL-AC68U over there too.

18. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

havent they artificially lowered the vdsl2 speeds anyway since the mid path deployment fucks with normal dsl services in the same cable bundle?

19. FiShy

FiShy Member

wouldnt they cut the whole bundle over?

20. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Well can you co-ordinate the deployment with x ISPs to be able to do the entire bundle in 1 window?

I thought they were cutting customers over only once they had ordered a service via their RSP to change.