FTTP > Modem = How many pairs required?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by cal0006, Jun 12, 2018.

1. cal0006

cal0006 Member

Hi all, simply put, given the environment of a modem install that I will be doing, an option I have established is to have the FTTP Uni-D port to Modem connection running through a basic Y-splitter, then at the other end, splitting back. Effectively using 1 wall data point for two data feeds, one being the wall NTD > Modem traffic.

My question is, how many pairs does the NTD > Modem connection require? 2? or all 4 pairs? What will I notice in terms of experience and speed? I would estimate that I won't get gigabit speed through this which is fine, but NBN 100/40? Speedwise?

Cheers.

2. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Basic terminology; if you have FTTP (with optical fibre coming into a NBN-supplied NTD) and you're plugging a device into one of the UNI-D ports, then that device is a router, not a modem.

Don't futz around with pairs etc; either buy a pre-terminated roll of Cat5e/6 ethernet cable and use that to connect your router to the NTD or pay a cabler to run some ethernet for you.

3. Pugs

Pugs Member

One can buy a pre-terminated patch cable.. but not rolls... as the limitation of 100m applies

4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Sure, that :) If I buy a 50m lead, it's usually rolled up :p

5. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

7. summoner

summoner Member

I'm on 250/100... and some have faster depending on regional RSP's

Why not just use some Cat6E and be done with it.. my router identifies the port as gigabit when plugged into the NTD.. cables are so damn cheap not like it matters.

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

some what ???

no such thing as Cat6e

9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The NTD will be installed inside your home. Just have the router installed directly next to the NTD and connected there?
    Then you can patch it from there to other stuff via your single patch run without dodgy y-splitting, no one uses those anymore since the invention of gigabit switching.

e.g:

[​IMG]

Or use power over ethernet hardware if your so against running more ethernet cable.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. summoner

summoner Member

yeah meant cat5e/6 but sausage fingers and being at work so didnt revist failed me.