1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuji X-Pro1

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Modafroman, Jan 6, 2012.

1. r00b0y

r00b0y Member

Interested in updated thoughts from users with newest firmware & now you've had a chance to get used to it.

Seriously considering dropping 75% of my SLR gear (& X100) to pick this up with the 3 lenses. My wife gave birth on Saturday & all shooting in near future is going to be friends, family & baby. I'll keep the 1DsII & longer lenses for when my boy starts moving around quickly enough to need decent AF, but apart from that I see no need for SLRs. The Fuji seems smaller, quieter, less intrusive, brilliant image quality & more enjoyable to use (absolutely love my X100 despite its faults).

Is there anywhere cheaper than PhotoContinental ($1700 for body, lenses $650 - $710)? No issue with buying grey/overseas but B&H seem to be same price as Australian so might as well buy local.

2. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Hey congrats on the bub :)

LOL you described my life here:

The firmware didnt make much diff other than killing lens chatter and made EVF brightness adjusting to changing light a little bit slower (they made the lens quieter by moving aperture blades slower).
    Bottom like is, I cant see how someone could like the x100 and not like the xpro. It's basically the same thing with more lenses, better ergonomics, 1 more stop in low light and a few more pixels. Shutter is now audible but still very quiet, you lose the monster flash sync, cant fit in a jacket pocket, AF and EVF same crap as x100.
    Non fuji lenses: wide retrofocus look ok, wide symmetrical is crap. Longer looks good, 40mm (native) seems to be the cutoff.

FWIW I kept my x100 for the jacket pocket.

3. r00b0y

r00b0y Member

Cheers mate :)

Meh to the flash sync - not too fussed. Would have killed for the X100s flash sync when shooting sports on my Canons but can't see myself needing it.

X100 can't fit in the pocket by the time I added the hood :p

EVF never bothered me much - better than most other options in super low light. I also never had massive issues with the AF. Sure it hunts in close range in low light, but not enough to really annoy me. Possibly because I've always used it in MF mode using thumb button to focus?

By 40mm you mean flange distance? Why do some cause issues? I would eventually look at a longer lens (something like a Nikon AI-S or Leica 90mm) but hardly in a rush. Fuji will eventually get around to more lenses for the system anyway I presume.

4. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Longer is fine, all long lenses are good on this camera (as long as you're happy using the EVF).
    By 40mm I mean focal length. Apparently this camera has a thick layer of glass on the sensor for some reason which doesnt affect image quality, but if the rear element is too close it causes corner smearing and it requires the whole lens to be designed especially for this sensor. So symmetrical (rangefinder/pancake) wide lenses are out. Retrofocus wides (mostly SLR lenses and some RF lens designs like the zeiss 21mm f4.5) are ok, and obviously all fujinons are ok. Fuji has a 14mm and some slow zooms on the roadmap for next year. Also some crazy chinese company is making a 35/0.95... in gold (colour) :tongue:
    http://www.fujirumors.com/chinese-company-is-making-a-35mm-f0-95-lens-for-our-x-pro-1/

Basically the main catch with this camera is AF, which is no worse than the x100. If you're ok with that you're good to go I reckon. Lenses/sensor/OVF/ergonomics are fantastic.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  5. wongy

wongy Member

I've just ordered from them myself. Couldn't find anywhere else cheaper. Wouldn't have known about them until you posted about them. So thanks :lol:

6. WRC

WRC Member

7. wongy

wongy Member

Just a little eval and experience with the XPRO I posted on RFF. Thought I share it hear too.

For the past 2 weeks I have been shooting solely with the X-pro1. I thought I should share with the RF community my thoughts and experiences with the camera. Take note that I am still using the camera out-of-the-box and have not updated the firmware since purchase.

I have mainly focused on the negative aspects because the benefits are obvious and most people seem concerned whenever they hear XPRO. The picture quality the camera is capable of are fantastic. All images are resized JPEGS as Lightroom has only just provided an update for RAW compatibility.

The Good

Picture Quality. No need to say more, there are pixel peeping sites you can visit which will tell you what you want to hear.

ISO/Noise. See above.

Dynamic Range. See above.

Size. I replaced my Canon 60D and a few lenses with this combo. The camera is light. The first time I picked up a Leica my initial impression was "Wow, this is heavy". The first time I picked up my XPRO I thought it was very light. Build quality is great too. Fits well in the hand.

It's also a fun camera to use :) Pictures make my heart melt.

The (Not So) Bad

Focusing. At a wedding I was attending, one of the cameramen approached me and asked about my camera. "How's the focus speed?". I told him "Not as bad as people say it is". That statement remains true. Another gentlemen approached me in Melbourne asking the same thing as he was holding off from purchasing a XPRO because of focusing speed. It isn't fast but it isn't bad either. In broad daylight/outdoor it's absolutely fine.

Other users have posted ways of getting around the focusing issues. It's a shame really. Out of the box and in a new users hand the camera is poop. Unless you know how to get around the quirks and what settings to use you will not get the most out of the camera. Small things such as:

1. CORRECTED AF - turning this ON makes focusing a lot easier.

2. MACRO MODE - turning on for close subjects gets you a much higher hit rate for focusing on subjects.

Lens Chatter. I have noticed and been told that the firmware largely fixes this issue. Not bothered by it while walking in the street unless it's a really quiet environment.

The Ugly

Lag. In low light the EVF will be slow. What concerns me more is the way the camera will adjust information through the viewfinder. Unlike most cameras which have the lens hunt into a focus position the XPRO instead 'JUMPS'. People here call it 'freezing' or lag of the EVF. It's the lack of transition between one point to another e.g. focusing on a distant object then a closer one, half-pressing will get you from FOCUS A --> Freeze/Delay --> FOCUS B.

The camera will do this with the AE-Locking too. Once you lock in your preferred exposure you don't get a live update as you pan your camera to your subject. It will 'JUMP' from EXPOSURE A --> EXPOSURE B once you half-press and focus on your subject.

Rear Light. I hate it. It is constantly flashing, at the corner of my eye as I shoot. I honestly don't know why. Holding focus on a subject? Flashing until the shot is taken then flashing some more as photos buffer. It serves little purpose while shooting and is quite an annoyance.

Frame Lines and Framing. Wtf. I still do not understand this. I would focus on my subject and in my head know exactly where to position the camera to compose the photo. Half-pressing the shutter however will automatically shift the frame lines to a new position once the subject is in focus. This is a problem because mentally you have to compose TWICE - before and after half-pressing.

If there is a way to fix these problems now, please do tell. I'm still trying to understand the camera and I think THAT is the NO#1 flaw. The Fuji XPRO has so much potential. Is it a great camera? Definitely. Can it be improved? Definitely. All the ugly bits to the XPRO can easily be fixed but unfortunately it isn't user friendly. It is a camera that is difficult to approach. There is a steep learning curve where reading a manual will not improve the handling of the camera.

I love this camera to bits though. It will be by my side for quite some time :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. psychedelic

psychedelic Member

I picked up my body for 1600 and 35mm for 600 at Fotoriesel in the city. Nice bloke there did me a nice price.

If you like you're x100, you'll like the x-pro no probs. only thing it might take some time to get used to is that the body feels more 'hollow' compared to the x100. I remember first thing my mum said comparing the two was that she thought the x100 was heavier (even though its lighter). But once you're used to it it's a non-issue

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  9. nightbringer

nightbringer Member

How long did it take to adjust to using the AF?

I tried one out in a camera store using the full press technique I read about and AF seemed a bit spotty - sometimes it'd nail it, sometimes it wouldn't.

10. psychedelic

psychedelic Member

I think the main thing that throws people off is that it's not like a dslr, you just have to allow a bit longer each shot to focus. I don't find myself firing off a million photos for one thing, you shoot it as if you get one chance, like film I suppose. Some people won't find an attraction to this, but those who do know who they are.

11. wongy

wongy Member

I'm a slow shooter, conservative and take my time. In broad daylight the AF really isn't an issue (at least for me) and I have shot with the Canon 60D and Panasonic GF1. Surprisingly when I thought I missed the shot I would often get the focus perfectly. Only used the full press method two or three times and it has worked fine, there's just that moment of 'lag' where you find out if you got the shot or not.

12. nightbringer

nightbringer Member

That's the main reason why I'm looking at one, I love my film and manual focus Nikons, and even with digital I prefer to pick my shots instead of just going crazy with burst mode.

13. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

God I want to love this camera.

14. lithos

lithos Member

Me too, catalyst...although I'm coming from Pentax, so it's not like I'd be pissed about the AF speed if I got one.

Kinda a shame Kodak doesn't do something similar, but I suppose they ain't got the scratch for it.

15. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

I had a play around with an XPro1 in store the other day.... to me it actually focused pretty quick (in bad store lighting).... not as fast as a USM lens on a DSLR, but definitely quicker than my S95 :p

16. bueller

bueller Member

Yeah I have to admit after using my X100 for a couple of weeks I don't know why everyone bitches so much. It's not as good as my D700 but it's as good if not better than my old 5DMKI.

Really happy with it overall, might consider a switch to the XP1 sometime next year provided I don't blow too much cash on cameras in Japan.

17. r00b0y

r00b0y Member

Why don't you?

18. deepspring

deepspring Member

*drool*

I wants now! (with the 60mm lens)

19. pop4

pop4 Member

The AF of the X-Pro1 is definitely not as fast as say a K-5 with a Sigma HSM lens. The only screw-driven Pentax lens, the FA 35/2 also focuses faster on my K-5 than the X-Pro1 and it's 35/1.4.

20. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Too complicated, some serious interface fumbles, ridiculous manual focus, clattery lenses, poor af, menu requires degree etc.

The thing that kills me is it probably would have been cheaper for fuji just to make the vital things work than introduce all this extra shit that doesn't.