1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuji X-Pro1

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Modafroman, Jan 6, 2012.

1. locopano

locopano Member

I have read that also. Plan is to test the Fuji, if its better than my very much loved CV 35 f1.4 then ill sell to recover what i can. I also have some more lenses to play with - (15 f4.5 / 21 f4 CV / 35 f1.4 CV / 90 f4 Elmar).

My feedback from some testing is that i like the XE-1 better just from perspective of how it feels in the hand, but i haven't really thought about how i will use the OVF vs EVF and if its worth the weight etc and relatively similar price when you add the 35mm f1.4

2. crispy12

crispy12 Member

The Fuji website says that the 35/1.4 is not supported via the official adapter, I think it should work via 3rd party though.

3. RichoB

RichoB Member

Picked up a body, 18mm and 60mm today and I'm pretty happy.

Well happy now that I've updated the firmware and put the Thumbs Up on it from my x100 - makes a huge improvement over it's handling and speed straight out of the box.

For those that have used the camera a lot, what's your post processing workflow like?

4. pop4

pop4 Member

I shoot large jpegs at fine image quality, import them into lightroom to enter metadata and then make any adjustments in the develop module as needed. I used to shoot RAW with all the dSLRs I owned, but I've found that the jpegs from the X-Pro1 pretty much hit the spot most of the time, so any adjustments needed are pretty minor.

5. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Ι shoot raw, and process to jpegs on camera :wired:
    I quite like fuji's jpeg engine but I like to keep the raw files just in case I want to make heavy adjustments later (unlikely)
    Then I import the jpegs to LR for rotation/cropping and maybe some light brightness/contrast adjustments, or to clean sensor spots. WB is spot on 99% of the time with this baby, so I dont have to touch it.

6. RichoB

RichoB Member

Cheers lads, I'll give the in camera raw conversion method a go.

7. RichoB

RichoB Member

8. pop4

pop4 Member

New firmware again. And omg, I f#$king love you Fujifilm, you've address my biggest gripe with the X-pro1, which was that you couldn't change AF frame selection one handed.

And they're bringing focus peaking to the X-Pro1 next month as well though another firmware update.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/0...mpatibilty-with-lenses-without-aperture-rings

9. RichoB

RichoB Member

Awesome.

I knew new firmware was coming out, but I figured it would just be for the new lenses.

I'm so amped for focus peaking!

10. wongy

wongy Member

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Bought Fuji with focus speed issues because I heard so much about how Fuji are always releasing firmware updates for their other products. My other choice would have been a NEX camera solely because of focus peaking but so glad I stuck with the XPro.

11. killerwombat

killerwombat Member

Yah for focus peaking!!!

12. ToanIsAnIdiot

ToanIsAnIdiot Member

13. nightbringer

nightbringer Member

I've had my eye on the Fuji again with the new firmware - how is it compared to when it first came out?

14. pop4

pop4 Member

Upgraded my X-Pro1 to firmware v3.0. Focus peaking is pretty interesting, and just playing around with it, I've found that it works best in conjunction with the 3x or 10x magnification.

I've had the X-Pro1 since the week it hit Australia, and the firmware updates have made the camera much much better, mostly in terms of usability. I mean, it's always had top notch image quality and the lenses have been great, but now I find the camera a pleasure to use.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  15. OP
    OP
    Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Notice much of a difference in focus speed with the new firmware?

16. pop4

pop4 Member

Haha, was too busy playing with MF and focus peaking, so can't really say.

17. RichoB

RichoB Member

Can't wait to play with focus peaking - if it's good I'm going to grab a couple more M mount lenses I've been eyeing off.

While we're talking of lenses, has anyone got any experience with both the 18mm prime and the 18-55? I've been contemplating selling my 18mm and picking up a 18-55 for a little more versatility. Anyone done the same or even gone the other way?

18. pop4

pop4 Member

Updated the 18/2, 35/1.4 and 60/2.4 to firmware 3.0 just now (they didn't seem to have it up earlier in the day), and AF actually does feel faster. Feels a lot more like using a dSLR with a screw driven lens now.

Go Fujifilm :thumbup:

19. WRC

WRC Member

Be interested to see what you guys think of focus peaking on the Fuji.

i rarely use it on my NEX 7 because whilst is shows you everything that is in focus, for absolutely critically sharp focus I find it almost useless and tend to use the zoom function much more often.

Of course it's quite possible that I'm just shit at using it.

Edit: I only use M lenses on my 7.

20. crispy12

crispy12 Member

That's been my experience as well, generally not too useful for critical focus but good for getting things generally sharp. Zooming in to focus all the time can be very annoying though, pros/cons both ways for me.