1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Funnest 2P retro games

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by shredder, Feb 6, 2020.

1. shredder

shredder Member

Funnest not being an official English word is a travesty of inefficiency, as per this frivolously redundant sentence; nonetheless, this is a thread, like some of the others I've made.

I can't be arsed writing a proper thread blurb at the moment, but that shouldn't preclude the thread existing, preferably as a non-Newtonian substance in zero-g.

2. power

power Member

Speedball 2

3. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Lotus Turbo II on Amiga. If you entered your player name as "John" before starting the game, it would appear during the game to the other player as "John Ahead" to tell you when you were about to overtake your human competition.

Naturally, being an immature teenager, this gave rise to names like "Give Me" and "Big Wang"...

shredder and Vanne like this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Two player fun for me broke down into to broad categories, mostly around the skillset and sportsmanship of the person I was playing with. Ultimately that led me to choose whether we were playing co-op or versus. :)

Options for co-op were a bit limited in the retro days. Pre-network games it mostly came down to brawlers like Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Final Fight, TMNT/Simpsons, etc. Many of these had a final battle where 1P and 2P had to duke it out, but for 99% of the game working together was a better option. A few 3P and 4P titles in there too.

Some sports games allowed for co-op. Early FIFA Soccer and NBA Live titles from the 16bit generation could put people on the same team (even play 4P with a multi-tap on certain consoles). NBA Jam was pretty fun too, with a 2-on-2 game where you could play together.

Neo Geo had a few 2P co-op platform games. "Spinmaster" and "Dyna Gear" were two great ones with heaps going on.

Shmups were another. Arcade in particular once you got out of the 8bit CPU era, there were tonnes of shooters that allowed 2P co-op on screen at the same time. DoDonPachi, Metal Slug and Contra 3 are personal favourites, but there are an almost countless volume of them (check the dedicated shmups threads).

Versus games were plentiful though. Almost every driving game had split screen (I loved the spiritual sequels to the Lotus games HyRax1 mentions above, in the shape of Top Gear 1 and 2). Add battle elements to that and you've got Super Mario Kart's infamous battle arenas, responsible for many sibling fist fights. And again all the sports games mentioned above could be played in versus mode, as well as some great titles like WindJammers.

Fighting games are endless as an option. Street Fighter II and it's infinite sequels and clones are all there for a laugh, whether you want serious tournament play, or just total bullshit like the Mortal Kombat games.

And of course puzzle versus titles. Tetris, the (IMHO) superior Poyu Poyu, Puzzle Bobble, Puzzle Fighter, and so on.

shredder likes this.
  5. power

power Member

yes puzzle titles, play Baku Baku and watch the insanity ensue.

WuZMoT likes this.
  6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Second!
    This game gets bonkers at my place.

I've (jokingly) told people to get out of my house in defeat.
    In contrast I've also transcended to a mode of consciousness where there is just me and Baku Baku to come back from a position where 2 bad pieces in the game would have ended it.

purpaboo, shredder and power like this.
  7. clonex

clonex Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  8. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member

Mario Kart
    Sven Co-Op (Half Life co-op mod)
    Simpsons Arcade Game
    Metal Slug Series
    Halo Series

shredder likes this.
  9. flain

flain Member

Battletoads NES was a blast if instead of co-oping with each other you decided to fight it out. We originally started co-op but quickly found out if you attack your co-op friend you can do things like stealing weapons they are running for etc. After that every game just starts out with us fighting each other, while also trying to beat the levels at the same time. Usually we would get to level 2 or 3 before someone runs out of continues :)

10. OP
    OP
    shredder

shredder Member

Also feel free to specify the exact title from a series, if wanted.

I like Metal Slug 3, with the zombies. Though I had a quick look at some bootlegs recently, so-called Metal Slug 6 I think it was, seemed like a cool collection of levels, starting with X level 1 and then going to the zombies etc.

And Mario Kart either the GC version (Double Dash) or the Wii U version (8). Not sure which I prefer. Probably the later one for the bling but not experienced enough for a deep judgement.

Tetris-wise we've been playing Tetris The Absolute The Grand Master 2 which probably goes without saying is a bit of a mouthful. Dunno how it stacks up against the competition but it's Tetris but modern and fancy with modes and fun. The mrs likes it (and probably beats me at it). Haven't yet introduced her (or myself, much) to the Puzzle Bobbles and Baku Baku's of the world.

11. power

power Member

you NEED to play Baku Baku.

shredder and WuZMoT like this.
  12. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Bubble Bobble great co-op, and too cute for its own good

power likes this.
  13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Speaking of whacky puzzle games, "Bishi Bashi Special" on PlayStation1. OMG, get a couple of beers under your belt and play that with a mate.

Made in Korea, it's the original inspiration for "Wario Ware" and similar micro-games. Think "Point Blank", but made to be played on controllers rather than with light guns. Absolutely bloody hilarious fun.

If you're in Brisbane, Netherworld Arcade has the original "Bishi Bashi" arcade cabinet. Great fun to slap a few bucks in while having some beers.

nic55 likes this.
  14. power

power Member

Bishi Bashi Special looks nuts, haha

proffesso and elvis like this.
  15. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

I used to play both, back in the day :D

16. nimmers

nimmers Member

Final Fight Co-Op
    Street Fighter 2 Vs

17. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

Some of these are posted above but mine in absolutely no particular order:

TMNT Arcade
    The Simpsons Arcade
    Golden Axe
    Double Dragon
    Mortal Kombat (1-3, Trilogy)
    Streets of Rage (all)
    Final Fight
    Tetris (most versions)
    Columns
    Mario Kart (esp N64)
    Wacky Wheels
    NBA Jam
    Duke 3D (over LAN)
    Grand Theft Auto (Internet).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  18. Phido

Phido Member

Final Fight(s)
    Turtles in Time TMNT
    Double dragon
    Gauntlet (2 or more!)
    Mario kart

19. power

power Member

Blue wizard shot the food!

Phido likes this.
  20. flain

flain Member

Might be breaking the rules here as the thread is about 2P, but what about 16P in 1987?

Id like to add Bolo (mac) to the list. 16 player top down tank game from 1987 (you heard that 16 players in 1987!!). Our school computer lab had it in the early 90s which by then thankfully 16 players actually performed ok being some years after the original release date and having better hardware available. It used appletalk as the communication method between macs (kind of like the IPX protocol).

The goal was to make teams, capture bases and "pillboxes" and eventually take over all bases and pillboxes on the map. Bases started out as ready to claim while pillboxes would be hostile to everyone until you beat one and replaced it (wherever you wanted). This was my first real multiplayer experience and teamwork mattered. You could coordinate attacks against bases by shouting at other school mates across the room that happened to join your alliance. The map was in a way terraformable, you could fill in blocks in the water with dirt to drive over, place roads down and put mines down to blow up other tanks and also if the mine square was touching water it would turn into water too.

Unfortunatley finding videos of a game with multiple people playing is very hard these days, so here's a video of one person playing on his own. It doesn't capture the magic but at least you can see what the game looked and played like a bit.

Phido and clonex like this.