Furi, Global or Wusthof?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by user5124, Jun 28, 2004.

1. user5124

user5124 Member

Out of these three, what is everyones top recommendation?
    Here's what I've heard/read/found from talking to people in shops, reading boards, etc.

Furi: slightly cheaper than globals, better handle (?) good steel.
    Global: expensive, well reputed, good steel, good handle.
    Wusthof: Best steel, most expensive, oldschool handle design.

I've noted that the globals have a very thin piece of metal at the base of the blade would scrape against your forefinger if you push the knife into something. Does this happen?

Are the wusthofs worth paying $40 or more per knife?

Does a lighter, sharper knife lead to being able to more rapidly slice vegetables?

I'm all about speed. I'm also a total, complete and utter kitchen newbie, but I am coordinated and want to make cooking as *efficient* as possible.

Also, do you people always buy sets, or just get paring/chef/cleaver knives individually and ignore the rest?

You'd think knife shopping would be easier.

2. Huynhie

Huynhie Member

It appears that you have decided on either one of the three brands listed. All of those guys are good and should last you a lifetime. Ultimately the best way to decide is to go to a shop and try them out. Here are some more site that will also help you

Choice Magazine

Hospitality Oz

I eventually decided that the Wusthof was the best knife for me after checking out everything on the internet as well as finally trying each one out. These guys are expensive but at least I wont need to replace them any time soon. They also come with a lifetime guarantee.

As for buying them individually or in a set, that all depends on whether you are going to use all of them or not. For me I found that purchasing them individually was best for me as the set itself did not contain everything that I wanted so I would have had to purchase more item on top of purchasing the set.

3. Shalmanese

Shalmanese Member

In terms of blade:

Wustof > Global > Furi

In terms of comfort

Furi > Wustof > Global

In terms of price

Wustof > Global > Furi

It's really about priority. IMHO, I instantly stopped considering the global because there is no way I could imagine using that for 1/2 an hour without my hand cramping. I dunno, maybe you can grow into it but I'm not going to waste $90 to find out if that's true or not. Of the other two, I chose the Furi simple because I didn't feel the extra money was worth it at the stage that I am at. If I were to be cooking every night, preparing intricate dishes, I would have probably shelled out for the Wustof. Have you also considered Henckels? They are about the same in terms of blade with the Wustofs but I still prefer the handles of the Wustof.

4. gbh

gbh Member

Current knives of choice in the pro world are Kasumi.
    They are incredible. And just as expensive.

5. Shalmanese

Shalmanese Member

Ooh, Damascus steel. I was wondering, when they cracked the secret to that about 5 years ago how long it would take for it to start appearing in commerical applications.

Basically, Damascus steel was a type of steel which, due to the specific chemical properties of the iron and the special cooling procedures, produced a steel that had ripples of strong/brittle metal and soft/flexible metal running through it. This gave it the intricate structure visible on the blades and also made them amazingly hard and durable. Unfortunately, the steel from that specific mine in india was mined out and replaced with steel from another mine and the voodoo was lost and the technique died with it. Some guys from... UCLA I think... managed to reverse engineer one of the blades and they now know how it was done.

6. gbh

gbh Member

Yes.
    There is quite a bit of info out on the web re the technique and method of manufacture.
    Interesting stuff.

7. OP
    OP
    user5124

user5124 Member

I'm going into peters of kensington this Sat. I've narrowed it down to Global and Wusthof, as I haven't really seen any other knives getting such a widespread mention.

It's going to be really tough to pick between the two.

Those damascus steel ones are probably great blades, but too hard to find, and too expensive!

Oh, and I did look at henckeles... Their steel didn't seem to be quite as reputable as global and wusthof. I wonder how they manage to be so consistant.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  8. gbh

gbh Member

9. OP
    OP
    user5124

user5124 Member

In the end I used the good advice here, especially the mention of the choice magazine link. That was very helpful.

Settled on six knives. All up half a K.

Global 20cm cook knife.
    Global 14cm vegetable knife.
    Global 8cm paring knife.
    Wusthof Culinar 20cm cook knife.
    Wusthof Culinar 14cm utility knife.
    Wusthof Culinar 9cm paring knife.

All I need now is that magnetic holder, and a decent steel....and some basic cooking knowledge. Right now my idea of competent cooking is putting something in the microwave, or pouring water in.

10. gbh

gbh Member

re cooking knowledge:

Good starting point is with the basics.

Have a look for some books such as:

Le Repetoire de la Cuisine by Saulnier (I think)

Larousse Gastronomique

Practical Professional Cookery - Cracknell and Kauffman

The Escoffier Cookbook

11. jobaby

jobaby Member

If you are after Furi's, Myer have 25% off their Furi Max Block set, which is a good starter set - it just needs the two large East-West knives to make it a good collection. It's $150 with the 25% off, so it's a pretty good place to start.

12. gbh

gbh Member

or this audio book I have for sale!

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=292139

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  13. KyocEr@~*

KyocEr@~* Member

Excellent choice... although I'd have gone for the Henckels over the Wusthoff personally - based on comments in my expensive knives thread (at the bottom of this forum on the first page at time of writing).

14. woodstock

woodstock Member

I thought of this too cause I already had the 23cm east west knife but it won't fit in the set that myer had on special (which i don't think was the max set in Tassie)

15. woodstock

woodstock Member

Just curious but why did you get 2 of each knife in different brands?

16. Wylf

Wylf Member

I'd vote for the Whustof knives. Bloody brilliant as far as I'm concerned. Never used the others though. I'd recommend against getting the knife blocks though - much better to get single knives as you need them.

17. OP
    OP
    user5124

user5124 Member

When I went into the store and held each of them in my hand, I wasn't able to make an immediate decision on which of the two brands made the better knife.

I felt I'd done my research well enough to know that I wouldn't be dissapointed with either brand, but I winded up getting two of each for a few reasons.

1. I couldn't easily pick one brand over the other.
    2. I want two pairs of each main knife (cook/util/paring) so that when one pair becomes blunt, I can use the other whilst I find time to sharpen the first.
    3. The wusthof culinar cooks knife cost as much as all of the global knives put together, and so the globals didn't really break the bank as an extra purchase.
    4. As the wusthof and global knives are of such different paradigms, I figure that this will be my learning stage for what's best for me, and I can pursue the winner brand in any future purchases.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  18. PobodY

PobodY Member

I have the global knives... I figure one-peice construction means there are no nooks and cranies for bacteria to hide in... the steel is quite soft, so blunts relatively easily, but sharpens just as easily (you must use a diamond or ceramic sharpener on these, NOT tungsten or carborundem).

My hands never cramp, becuase I never have to push hard with them. However, I do have small hands for a man, so the handles are a good size for me. No, they don't slip even when wet and oily...

Most of all, I like the feeling of that folded japanese steel! Just like a kitchen samurai :D

19. kasar

kasar Member

The main problem with Global knives is that most of them don't have any protection near the edge of the blade where you hold your hand. Also, the bolster/finger guard is usually quite weighty making it easier to cut food. Also, I find that the steel handles aren't as easy to grip as others. I find they get too slippery if your hands are even slightly wet.

ie. [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

A normal knife with a bolster looks like this -
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Wusthof knives are the best i've ever used but they are too bloody expensive. Henkels aren't too bad, but I don't really like the handles.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  20. itang

itang Member

Not to nickpick, but the Kasumi knives aren't really damascus steel if they are forged according to japanese swordmaking techniques. Its only 32 layers, and as far as I know the real damascus steels have several 100s to 1000s of layers ?

Its description also fits that of jap swordsmithing, a softer steel core sandwiched between 2 layers of harder steel, giving the best of both worlds - Edges that retain the sharpness and flexibility along the blade.

Heh, does anyone really need a mini katana in his/her kitchen ? :lol:

Oh very good book on Jap swords - The craft of the japanese sword by Leon and Jiroko Kapp/Yoshindo Yoshihara, reccomended