Future Neon - Type R

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by sethnmalice, Oct 2, 2008.

1. charliechaplan

charliechaplan Member

looking very interesting so far, especially the mock-up stage

what are you dimensions on this case? cause it looks like it will be pretty decent size.

2. Spectre8

Spectre8 Member

Awesome stuff mate - I really admire your craftsmanship. Very clear to see you're dedicated. Keep it up! :)

3. OP
    OP
    sethnmalice

sethnmalice Member

Lachy3000, ty :)

kk1993, ty :)

charliechaplan, 450mm x 424mm x 180mm

Spectre8, ty :)

4. OP
    OP
    sethnmalice

sethnmalice Member

This should have been a pretty extensive update but my camera is on its way out and I've lost the charger so i had to skimp on most of the photos,I'm in the process of getting a new camera charger at the moment.

I've been spending alot of time cutting and mostly polishing, and somewhere in all that ideas keep coming into mind.

An inside / outside case came to mind and with how I'm doing the external structure it seemed to make sence, so I'm throwing caution to the wind and going for it, I'll explain this with other updates as I progress through it.

I began by cutting aluminium tubing to size, alu tubing is 12mm squared, also the structure is now 424mm long and 450mm wide, the reason for the added width is because I couldnt configure in my drawings ample room for three hard drives, but with the added width i can do that successfully.

[​IMG]
    Cut Tubing.

Then I began work on the frame reinforcements...

[​IMG]
    Ruled some lines...alot of lines actually...and began cutting them out.

[​IMG]
    I made four, one for each side corner, this is to give maximum strength to the sides. I also have in the works something for the front and rear, although they will be much longer, like an ectoskeleton to the frame, for absolute strength.

Sanding with WD-40

[​IMG]

The tubing had stickers on them and I couldnt sand them off (have been there for well over a year) I looked about my shed seeing if I could find somethign that would help make removal easier and I picked up a can of WD-40 and used it, as I was using it , not only did it remove the sticky stuff left by the sticker, it also helped in sanding the tubing, as you can see in the above picture it dosnt look half bad, and I used this process for every other piece of alu I had cut. (ie: below)

[​IMG]

Polishing....

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's come up pretty good, and those frame supports are polished on both sides, as they will also be a feature against the acrylic when I work out how to mount it without bolts of any kind.

I still have to work on the opposite side and the other frame pieces, so I'll be back in a few when its done.

Seth

5. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

WOWWWWWWWWWWW :thumbup:
    Keep the pics coming in ...... :D

6. .Athrun

.Athrun Member

looks awesome :leet:

7. SaWBLaDe

SaWBLaDe Member

maybe 3M double sided tape - it sounds weak but really its almost like glue!

and once you have stuck it to something it takes quite a bit of force to remove it.

and i have used it/seen it used to hold acrylic to powder coated steel (ripple texture) and it still works great.

i also wanted to say this mod (if you can call it that) is looking awesome. keep up the good work.

cheers SaW

8. deathsgt60

deathsgt60 Member

NICE SETH I LIKE IT

9. Back Door Shen.

Back Door Shen. Member

Holy crap looking really good mate, keep it coming. You know your way around metal and wood :thumbup:

10. thrilos7

thrilos7 Member

Its looking great. Looking forward to final result.
    How did you even think of this design? Its amazing.

11. GTZLevin

GTZLevin Member

Looks like a replicator built ship from stargate sg-1..

lovin it!

12. OP
    OP
    sethnmalice

sethnmalice Member

Mini Update.

[​IMG]
    I cut each piece, then sanded each tube down, then hand polished them all.

[​IMG]
    Polished.

[​IMG]
    Polished the side pieces.

[​IMG]
    This is the Front and Back and the tubes for the side all finished, just a matter of putting it together now.

[​IMG]
    I cut the corner holders with a hacksaw.

[​IMG]
    Drilled the required holes then sanded each piece.

[​IMG]
    And hand polished them.

[​IMG]
    This is my make shift helper, Clamped the front and back down and places the side tubes inbetween for measurement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Drilled holes...

Putting it all together...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drilled and Rivetted the lot together, then polished it again, also added the side pieces to give it some strength as it was a very weak frame.

Finished Frame...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Different angles of it all complete.

The front and back are still pretty weak so like the sides I'll be adding something to them, just to give it a bit more strength, once all this is completed, I'll clean up the shed and move onto the acrylic portion of the mod.

I'm not overly happy with the outcome, its a learning expierience though, but I may convert to 25mm sq tubing and use the proper corver piece connectors, although it will reduce the internal size somewhat.

Back with more soon

Seth

13. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Mate, this is looking great :eek: even if you think it can be improved! :)

Can I just ask what you used for polishing everything? I'd like to polish up the inside of my case during the holidays - so please let me know what you used/how you used it :Pirate:

14. SaWBLaDe

SaWBLaDe Member

quick Q : are you referring to those plastic corner pieces you just hammer in with a mallet?

anyway despite the small issues you are having i still think it looks like a great mod :D keep up the good work.

15. OP
    OP
    sethnmalice

sethnmalice Member

@Menthu_Rae,

I used Mothers Mag Wheel Polish Alu/Steel, also used a microfibre cloth to polish it with. Sanded all the pieces with 600 grit wet and dry, most people go 600,800,1000,1200 in that order to get an even better shine when polishing, and u just polish till your happy with the results, I havnt personally polished steel, so there might be another product for polishing steel, ask slamaa he's used steel polish or something like it before (if your case is steel).
    So when i did this myself, I wet sanded with 600 on the tubing, then cleaned it, then added the polish and polished it till I was happy, by using the 4 grades of wet and dry sandpaper you can get a super shiny result, but you might be polishing for a week or so, what youve seen in the photos took a little over a week to sand and polish, all was done by hand, most people use machines to help them out and thats a process im not familiar with.

@SaWBLaDe,

Yes they would be the ones, the 12mm tubing I'm using dosnt have connectors, alothough I did ask the people at bunnings (where i get the tubing from) if they knew if it existed and could they gt it in, but nothing ever came from it so I'm lead to assume it dosnt exist. I'm thinking more people use the 25mm sq tubing compared to the 12mm sq tubing, thus the availibility of the corner connectors for the 25mm.
    Only problem with using the 25mm tubing is the overall thickness of it, I'll work something out.

16. [/\V3NG3R]

[/\V3NG3R] Member

nothing like putting in the "type r" for an extra ricey effect.

17. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Type Rice :)

18. mustkill

mustkill Member

19. OP
    OP
    sethnmalice

sethnmalice Member

Has been a while since I last posted...

Basically I walked into the shed and looked at this project, then took to it with a drill, and pretty much destroyed it, I just wasnt very happy with how it looked, and since then have been rebuilding it very slowly, spending 2 weeks polishing parts, gettting new drill bits so the rivets hold better, painting the frame satin black.

There was alot of gaps in the old design, everything was working till I put it together and then I just lost interest coz of all the flaws in it, so as I said I'm re-designing and improving on what I have done, some small changes but mostly the same overall, I'm leaning more towards, acrylic rather than aluminium.

Aluminium will be used as accents rather than the other way round like in the original FN.

Should have an update soon though.

Seth

20. OP
    OP
    sethnmalice

sethnmalice Member

Has been some time since my last update...

I pretty much pulled apart the frame I had made as I wasn't happy with it.! - there were alot of gaps in between each piece of the frame tubing, extremely noticeable to me particularly, so I did a complete rebuild and took my time, paced myself, triple checked everything etc.

To get a fairly accurate frame I made a make shift 'framey thing'...

[​IMG]
    As you can see its pretty simple, it just holds all the pieces in place so that when I rivet it all together, it comes out flush and square.

[​IMG]
    These are the pieces that will be holding it together, I cut the corners away to allow for the other tubes to fit into it.

[​IMG]
    Polished therm up...

[​IMG]
    Completed before putting it together.

[​IMG]
    Tried some black satin paint, and decided that instead of polishing the whole thing again, this will be the color of the frame.

The front and back pieces of the case are solid, there no flex in them and they aren't loose, but when I added the side tubes (x4 in total), the case was still flimsy, so in order to give it some strength in the overall design, I added corner pieces to the top and the bottom.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As seen here, maximum strength and no flex at all, it one solid box.

I sprayed a few layers of Grey Primer over the lot, in preparation for the satin black paint...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Random shots...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    More Random shots...

[​IMG]
    Final shot of case.

My errors along my journey into frame building I seem to have corrected, I think polishing parts prior to lining them up for rivetting became my undoing, because they slipped, due to polished piece on polished piece, and not having another set of hands, but this time around I feel I achieved my goal quite successfully.

The frame was ment to be the simple task, as I know the DVD drive bay is going to be a skilled challenge, but I hope to overcome that in the next few months.

Unlike most of my projects, where I spend anywhere up to 10 hours a day working on it, I'm pacing myself with this one, slipping away from the addiction and making it more a hobby.

Seth