future of VIA

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by MadOnion87, Jul 28, 2005.

1. MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

what sort of plans does VIA for their future products?
    i remember they tried making a console before, what happened to it?
    i personally think its hard to compete with AMD and Intel in CPU sector, so i guess in a way they continue making low power cpu is correct but that also means they can never fight for a place with their cpu
    as for their chipsets well, i have a few VIA chipset with my recent upgrade i chose nforce3, i got an impression that their chipset isnt as fast as nforce

so what do you guys think?

2. Knobi

Knobi Member

VIA has no future. Dead in the water

3. wtneo

wtneo Member

i think VIA is going for a niche market for fanless low power CPU. apart from ur plain jane laptop, handhleds, these CPU also cater for alot of the industrial computers/terminals/POS etc etc, often where speed is not the issue...

4. stmok

stmok Member

All I know is: C7 is coming (eventually), Nano-ITX has been delayed because of a major design change ("Corefusion" => Chipset + CPU on same silicon), and K8T890 chipset does NOT work with dual-core. (a new version of this chipset will be released to fix the issue).

It never really took off...I assume its cancelled.

Haven't you read about the point of VIA's CPU division?

They never intend to compete with Intel or AMD for the "King of the hill" crown. Nowhere in their design goals of their CPUs do they list "best performance against competeing CPUs".

The idea is to produce a cheap-ass CPU that does the job.

The upcomming C7 line is aimed at the Celeron-M (budget version of Pentium-M)...Its coming because most popular applications are starting to become too much for the C3. (As well, C7 offers various new features and improvements).

If they were making a CPU that offers performance, they would've done it by now.

That's true...VIA has always been the "affordable alternative" solution provider. It isn't about offering the absolute best and top notch quality...Because that's expensive.

Its about providing the customer a solution that : (a) "Sufficently does the job at low cost". And for some of their chipsets (b) "Sufficiently close to the competition in performance, at a lower cost".

And you know this how, Knob?

VIA is terrible when it comes to public relations. They say nothing about what they're up to. Just because they don't say anything in the public eye doesn't mean its dead.

Its no different in assuming that just because a country doesn't publically admit to owning nuclear weapons, does not mean they're the process of getting or have already got some, does it?

And I suppose you think countries doesn't send in Special Forces into other countries, doing "black jobs", because its not known to the public?

Your complete and utter failure of looking at VIA as a whole is really amusing.

You do realise that VIA doesn't just make hardware for the consumer, don't you? They have CPUs/chipsets/etc in the industrial and embedded markets.

AMD believes VIA is on to something here with th C3/EPIA platform, why do you think the Geode LX and NX exist?

Apparently, so are some people's brain cells.

5. OP
    OP
    MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

well to be honest i havnt read their goals for making cpu

they used to be a quite powerful force in amd chipset (remember back in the kt133/kt266 days?)
    i guess now they are still making chipsets but maybe not as dominating as before
    i will look at my upgrade which is the latest experience i have in choosing chipsets, i had the choice of k8t800 or nf3, more precisely abit's nf8 and kv8 (or something, the one with k8t800), they both offer almost exactly the same features and are both priced at 120, so obviously i will go for the performance king
    i really hope via can revive their chipset making skills and making something ass kicking to compete with nvidia

6. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

they need somthing with PCI/AGP lock, 4 DDR support, 2 x 16x PCI-e slots.

Basically what NF4 has, but with something extra on top, like 16 usb ports or something fun liek that :p

7. stmok

stmok Member

I think you're looking for ULi's upcoming M1695 chipset, if you want performance equal to Nvidia's nForce, while still costing the same or even cheaper than VIA's solutions.

ULi (formerly ALi) have focused on becoming the best Taiwan-based chipset provider. Their upcoming M1695 is looking like the most flexible of all chipset solutions.

It supports AGP and PCI-Express video at native speeds. Heck, they've even demonstrated a concept design, where they developed a special adapter that allows you to plug into a single PCI-Express 16x slot, and connects to two PCI-Express video cards at 8x each. The initial benchmark performance of this "third party SLI" matches Nvidia's SLI implementation.

The concept design is NOT for retail, it just demonstrates the flexibility to mobo manufacturers...So they can make quite a few variations using the same chipset. (Which can also cover workstation and possibly server solutions).

VIA's SLI implementation is much behind in performance. (Its currently no where near ULi or Nvidia's implementation...Needs alot more tweaking and modifying).

If VIA can sort their issues out, then its all good.

The more competition there is, the more choice for the consumer.
    (Assuming they know there is a choice out there to begin with. :))

8. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Who in their right mind would buy a mobo with a ULI chipset though?
    I dont care how damn good it is on paper, even in benchmarks, I want something stable that gets fairly good support, and most people seem to agree.
    How many people bought KT600's when the Nforce2 was out?
    Not many. I base that on the total lack of anyone I know owning a kt600, and I havent even seen any for sale threads for them.
    Anyone with a clue were looking for the first possible half decent excuse to never buy a VIA chipset again. I know after my KT133a I sure was.

VIA can barely compete in the areas they focus on. Their C3 processors are garbage compared to 5year old pentium 3's, they're garbage compared to AMD's Geode, they're garbage compared to P3/PM/P4 based embedded processors. The only area they work well in is encryption and I'm certain there are other hardware solutions for that that would beat that hands down.

Their audio ?DAC? chip , which sits on my current motherboard seems moderately competant. certainly better than my previous realtek/crystal media variants. I'm certain I'll run into some isssues oneday though.

Stmok, I know you like the C3, and you deal with it a lot, but they're still in my mind only winning by default. While AMD and intel have low end embedded gear, they havent ever done anything creative with them and pushed it to market. Perhaps they're too expensive? Perhaps VIA do better chipset/cpu bundle packs. Whatever the reason, I'm convinced that as soon as one of the big 2 wake up and provide the segment with a competetively priced bundle, VIA are going to be sidelined once more. Hell, with the intel/nvidia cross licensing deal, who knows? Perhaps nVidia will obtain the rights to make x86's.

Anyhow, I dont really like via at all. Everything they do seems to fall well short of reasonable expectations.

my 2c

9. Spludge

Spludge Member

The sales of boards with VIA chipsets have tanked in recent years - nVidia has taken the AMD market away from them.

Couple the lack of dual core support in Sk939 with the VIA southbridges not supporting SATA-II and you are crazy if you buy a VIA board for AMD. Almost no-one buys them for intel CPUs either.

EDEN boards still trickle through, but VIA seems to have missed the MCE boat by not bothering to make a MCE graphics driver for these boards, so they are obviously not concentrating on the DIY and assembler market.

Their forums are another case in point - they used to be fairly busy, but these days? We were offered a trial month of banner ads with them - got 150-odd clickthroughs - hardly compares to dansdata, who is getting 5,000+ in the same period.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  10. OP
    OP
    MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

its sad to see a previously good company diving like this
    this forum ued to be quite busy as well
    can anyone smell 3dfx?

11. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

They were never what you'd call GOOD.
    They were just the only option.
    Now there's a better option, everyone jumped at it.

12. Hairy_Harold

Hairy_Harold Member

one day maybe via will make a pci-e and agp board and all the golden oldies will fall in love with them again

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  13. Ranchu

Ranchu Member

Agreed. The KT133(A) chipsets were popular, but I remember the problems well :eek:

14. yujen

yujen Member

Nay, Via won't die like 3dfx, they may "exit" the retail (DIY/Desktop/etc) market but they still have a very strong presence in the embedded/industrial market where they currently dominate. One could say they've changed their entire direction.

15. Rod M

Rod M Member

in the desktop/laptop CPU market they are useless, but desktops and laptops are not usefull/cost effective in all situations,

there are thousands of thin clinets sold worldwide everyday, this market is dominated by VIA Eden and Transmeta Crusoe Processors

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/thinclients/t5525/specs.html

16. OP
    OP
    MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

hmmm never seen them around before lol
    seems cool, but how does the performance look?
    but you can always find a cheap amd cpu these days that use k8 architecture, they are cheap, cool and good performance

17. Rod M

Rod M Member

performance is not the point with thin clients, they are designed for just one or a few application to be run (call centres, bank tellers, etc) to be ultra low cost and low power usage, all the claculation/storage is done on the main server/s

think if you had a call centre of a couple of hundred (taxi booking centre for example) all using the same simple peice of software all data stored on a central server, you don't need PC power to do that just a terminal/thin client.

for hundreds of users, what looks more appealing a $300 +monitor Thinclient or a $1000 +monitor desktop?

18. OP
    OP
    MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

oooo point taken :)

19. Knobi

Knobi Member

I think VIA would cater from low end market whereby reliability and pricing is essential!

20. Wardhog

Wardhog Member

I have an Abit Kv7-v motherboard lying around, which has the VIA KT600 chipset on it. It's proved itself useless with Barton core CPUs, can anyone tell me which CPU is most likely to work well on this motherboard? I'm thinking Palomino core chips, does anyone have any advice they can give me?