G-Sync to go FreeSync

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by illdrag0n, Jan 7, 2019.

1. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Recently bought a Kogan Curved 27" 144hz with Freesysnc. It'd be great if it works with my 980.

It really is a strange technology to pay a premium for. It's best for people on a budget, and people with aging video cards.

2. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Unfortunately for you (and me with a GTX 970), NVIDIA have only committed to getting adaptive sync working on GTX 10x0 series and above. I am currently unsure if this is a hardware limitation or just that NVIDIA don't want to support their older cards at all. Most likely the latter, given that existing gsync monitors work fine on 9xx series cards. I imagine they could easily enable support for our cards too but then we'd be less inclined to upgrade to one of their newer cards...

What you thought you'd get a cool new feature on a series of cards that NVIDIA are no longer making any money off?! Nah they gotta sting you with a catch somewhere

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

This is the first good thing to come from nVidia in some time :) Will be nice to use my 34UC88 with FreeSync again.

4. lowdog

lowdog Member

Where is the driver ^&*!@%$$&^(**^%(*&)*( :tongue:

5. datfreak

datfreak Member

I'm not sure if these are the correct freesync ones but..

Windows 10 - DCH : https://international.download.nvid...esktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe
    Windows 10 - Standard : https://international.download.nvid...71-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe
    Windows 7/8 - Standard : https://international.download.nvid...esktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe

Release Notes : https://international.download.nvid....71-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf

edit - the settings do not mention freesync at all but after enabling G-sync in Nvidia panel, my monitor lg 34um88 reports freesync is enabled..
    Using CRU I increased the 34um88 freesync range to 75hz(was 60) and testing it on UFO frame skipper it is perfect! Without freesync it would frameskip at anything over 62hz.
    I'm 1 happy customer atm
    Now more testing

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    riot123 likes this.
  6. riot123

riot123 Member

datfreak likes this.
  7. riot123

riot123 Member

GTX1080 working on my Korean 32" 4K QNIX UHD3216R (Freesync), adjusted my FS range to 35-65 via CRU.

If anyone want silky smooth gameplay, make sure Gsync is enabled (the new feature) and Vsync is turned on in Nvidia Control panel.

While ingame, have Vsync turned off.

- no flickering or visual glitches so far.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  8. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Works well for me, the demo seems good.

LG 34UC88

9. Badz0r

Badz0r Member

Ive installed the drivers but I cannot find the GSYNC option?

10. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I opened the control panel and there was a new option for g-sync displays. There I checked the box to enable the non certified monitor.

11. Badz0r

Badz0r Member

If anyone else has the same problem as me - you might also need to enable freesync inside your monitor's settings

12. lowdog

lowdog Member

After driver installation a message popped un on the screen of my AOC G2590PX saying G-Sync compatible display and G-Sync was automatically enabled :weirdo:

13. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Does anyone know if there is a list of monitors that have been found to be working, and\or what the experience is like on them

I have the LG 32UD99-W, so im hoping the experience will be good

14. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

don't think so, as this was only enabled yesterday with the new drivers release, but I'm assuming there will be sites like blurbusters that will have list of monitors and level of functionality very soon.

15. Badz0r

Badz0r Member

Well I am having all kinds of issues, but after googling they seem to be generic gsync issues?

My gsync compatible monitor (actually on their compatible list, the asus vg278q) works well until depending on the game I try to move anything where the game has a "mouse input". For example in call of duty blackops, the mouse disappears/reappears all the time and pauses the game for a second when I click. In fortnite, bringing up the inventory to move the mouse around - the mouse cursor does not appear and it freezes.

Pretty much makes them unplayable so i've disabled the option. Such a shame cause the gameplay is butttterryyy smooooooth. :(

16. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

From what I have realised about Freesync from this shit, is that you still at least want a good implementation of it. Seems to be quite a wide variety of quality from FreeSync. In the end, I dont think GSync is any better than a well functioning Freesync version, its just a guarenteed better expereience. Certainly not enough to justify the $200+ premium that they were charging.

cheddle likes this.
  17. datfreak

datfreak Member

Im running a ultrawide at 3440 X 1440, and I'm impressed how well the 1050ti low profile gpu plays GTA v. I wasn't expecting gta v to be playable at all at this res
    At that res I'm only getting 35-45 fps but it feels playable without stutters and choppiness.

Is there any benefit to freesync under its range, as my montor freesync is set to 40-75fps, but it still feels good when it dips under 40.

18. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

No. Freesync turns off.

19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Turns out I had a faulty DP cable. After replacement I have Freesync working without fault on my BenQ XL2730Z. 1440P at 143Hz.

Feels not much better or worse than without it but I confirmed it using the pendulum demo. Played about 7 different games today and none had or showed any issues.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    self_slaughter likes this.
  20. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Freesync can help a bit just below it's range if it supports LFC.

I think it basically just doubles say 22fps to 44Hz in an effort to keep things stutter free.

I still need to upgrade to a somethingsync monitor lol. Modern games are fine at 1080p with a 1080ti as I can keep them frames well over 144fps with reasonably high settings anyway making it useless. But my roms.... It would make life so much easier to have it just switch to 50/55/60Hz or whatever on the fly, rather than stutter like hell trying to run 60/144 or require manual intervention to set the right refresh rate for the right game.