G-Sync to go FreeSync

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by illdrag0n, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Is good NVIDIA support freesync, but made me regret in getting a gsync monitor. Now I am stuck with NVIDIA GPU....

2. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I'd gouge my eyes out before playing any game at 22fps and I don't care what sync solution is being used.

3. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

This. My Asus MG278Q does variable refresh rate sync between 40 - 144hz. Seemed a great range to me, as I'll avoid playing anything under 40fps unless I have no other choice (eg some games locked at 30fps).

With reviews and prices out, I am heavily considering the RTX 2060 as an upgrade from my RX 580. Will put out stable, minimum 60+ FPS using higher detail @ 1440p.

The Asus Strix or MSI Gaming Z 2060 cards are fast and exceptionally cool/quiet. Both come in under AU$700 with out of box performance damn close to a reference clocked GTX 1080 or Vega 64.

Full Gsync support for my monitor is the primary motivator for me considering the switch back to green team, alongside the better value of the RTX 2060 compared to the bigger cards.

Then the RX 580 will do what it was always destined to do and go into my HTPC. Unlike the GTX 970 in that machine, the RX 580 does Netflix at 4K, and it will also do variable refresh rate sync over HDMI to a supported TV (something even the RTX 2080Ti currently won't do).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    RnR likes this.
  4. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Has anyone tried the Kogan 27” Curved 1440p 144hz monitor? Thinking of getting it as a replacement for my Qnix one... any thoughts?

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Seems to add 10ms input lag. Not noticeable but a consideration for competitive gaming. (not that many use free or gsync when competitive gaming)

It may just be that monitor though.

Screenshot_20190124-073842_YouTube.jpg

7. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I've finally got my Freesync monitor working with G-Sync compatibility. Unfortunately I'm getting some artifacting in some games, so it needs some more testing on my part.

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

When NOT turned on
    If you keep your FPS under the screens max, and have gsync turned on, it's fine

9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Ah Yup which is fine.

Enjoying assassin's creed odyssey in 4k hdr 50-60fps with freesync, works a treat.

I did notice a weird horizontal tearing until I forced vsync which fixed it.

10. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

hmm..I was always keeping V-sync OFF and G-sync ON...according to the video above, V-sync ON, G-sync ON is the best way to minimise input lag. I thought enabling V-sync would add to input lag :confused:

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Nope I used to think same but the negatives of vsync disappear when fps match refresh rate. I always force it on now. I think it was Blurbusters did some in depth analysis and came to conclusion overall for most gamers. Keep vsync and gsync on.

dzajroo likes this.
  12. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Enable Vsync only in NVIDIA panel. Off in-game

13. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

I've got one, but can't say I've put it through the ringer. I've got a 980GTX which doesn't support the freesync. I've only played 2 games on it, LoL & ARK. Occasionally in ARK I'll get a super smooth section and, you can really notice the 144hz.

I'm hoping ARK runs alot better on a 2060. I was considering jumping ship for an AMD card since I had a freesync monitor, but my feet are firmly planted now.

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

15. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

So if i was in the market for an acer Xb321hk, is there a smarter option if i dont have to pay for native gsync anymore?

I cant find anything with the same specs that isnt more expensive. 4k, ips, 32inch. Dont want ultrwide.

Is native gsync now a waste of money if the monitor has freesync?

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Gsync overall is superior. Higher range and it always works. Freesync is hit and miss. But usually just fine on brand name panels.

Rtings are making a good effort to test as many as they can they have a list.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/motion/g-sync-compatible

Azer1234 likes this.
  17. havabeer

havabeer Member

I bought that monitor specifically for the g sync as alot of games will dip under the 60hz at 4k (on ultra at least) I would try and see if there is something bigger then 32" in my opinion

Azer1234 likes this.
  18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yes IF you do your homework thoroughly on the Freesync monitor and make sure it has all the correct features to provide equivalent performance. Which many don't. e.g. Low Framerate Compensation is a commonly missing with cheaper Freesync monitors, so it only kicks in 40hz to 60hz or whatever (so if say you dip to 39 FPS you get zero benefit during those frames). Whereas for example Gsync always has LFC working correctly.

Gsync is a bit like Apple (feels dirty...), you pay for "it just works".

19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I didn't think gsync had LFC at all..

20. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Not exact same feature but same thing i.e. works at low frames.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/297...splays-make-pc-games-super-smooth.html?page=2

"Every G-Sync monitor supports the equivalent of AMD’s Low Framerate Compensation, guaranteeing a smooth gaming experience. All G-Sync monitors also support “frequency dependent variable overdrive.” Without diving into too much detail, the technology prevents ghosting on G-Sync displays—an issue that severely affected early FreeSync panels, though the issue’s less prevalent now."

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/2/

"Once the framerate reaches the approximate 36 and below mark, the G-SYNC module begins inserting duplicate refreshes per frame to maintain the panel’s minimum physical refresh rate, keep the display active, and smooth motion perception. If the framerate is at 36, the refresh rate will double to 72 Hz, at 18 frames, it will triple to 54 Hz, and so on. This behavior will continue down to 1 frame per second.

Regardless of the reported framerate and variable refresh rate of the display, the scanout speed will always be a match to the display’s current maximum refresh rate; 16.6ms @60Hz, 10ms @100 Hz, 6.9ms @144 Hz, and so on. G-SYNC’s ability to detach framerate and refresh rate from the scanout speed can have benefits such as faster frame delivery and reduced input lag on high refresh rate displays at lower fixed framerates (see G-SYNC 101: Hidden Benefits of High Refresh Rate G-SYNC)."

That second article is gold, a lot of users aren't actually setting up Gsync correctly then complaining (e.g. not setting Vsync to on (but leaving it off in game!) in global nvidia settings), which is arguably Nvidia's fault for making it confusing. In fact I had that very same issue, thankfully I'm pedantic and refused to settle for tearing on my new 900 dollar baby (and found that article which fixed it)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    walker_2003 likes this.