G-Sync to go FreeSync

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by illdrag0n, Jan 7, 2019.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Not exact same feature but same thing i.e. works at low frames.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/297...splays-make-pc-games-super-smooth.html?page=2

"Every G-Sync monitor supports the equivalent of AMD’s Low Framerate Compensation, guaranteeing a smooth gaming experience. All G-Sync monitors also support “frequency dependent variable overdrive.” Without diving into too much detail, the technology prevents ghosting on G-Sync displays—an issue that severely affected early FreeSync panels, though the issue’s less prevalent now."

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/2/

"Once the framerate reaches the approximate 36 and below mark, the G-SYNC module begins inserting duplicate refreshes per frame to maintain the panel’s minimum physical refresh rate, keep the display active, and smooth motion perception. If the framerate is at 36, the refresh rate will double to 72 Hz, at 18 frames, it will triple to 54 Hz, and so on. This behavior will continue down to 1 frame per second.

Regardless of the reported framerate and variable refresh rate of the display, the scanout speed will always be a match to the display’s current maximum refresh rate; 16.6ms @60Hz, 10ms @100 Hz, 6.9ms @144 Hz, and so on. G-SYNC’s ability to detach framerate and refresh rate from the scanout speed can have benefits such as faster frame delivery and reduced input lag on high refresh rate displays at lower fixed framerates (see G-SYNC 101: Hidden Benefits of High Refresh Rate G-SYNC)."

That second article is gold, a lot of users aren't actually setting up Gsync correctly then complaining (e.g. not setting Vsync to on (but leaving it off in game!) in global nvidia settings), which is arguably Nvidia's fault for making it confusing. In fact I had that very same issue, thankfully I'm pedantic and refused to settle for tearing on my new 900 dollar baby (and found that article which fixed it)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    walker_2003 likes this.
  2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Nice, didnt know bout the frame doubling, dont ever plan on playing @ 36 or below though. Itd be cool if you could use this tech with say Ps4 plugged in to make 30fps games bit smoother looking.

I always run G-Sync + V-Sync forced on NVCP, at first it sounded wrong but I read a Blur busters article showing its better on :) (might be same 1 u linked)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. Sledge

Sledge Member

it should be automatic..
    set g sync to on... the drivers set everything how it should be... why are we paying for something to 'just work' if it doesn't unless you know how to set it up properly...

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I agree entirely, it should toggle Gsync on and vsync on in the global control panel automagically.
    However, it can't stop users turning on vsync in-game, so not sure how to fix that bit.

5. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Is it advisable to toggle V-sync (or enhanced sync?) on in Radeon settings as well, when using Freesync?

6. Tazor

Tazor Member

Can confirm that GSync works on my AOC AGON AG241QX, which is awesome cos it meant I could sell my PG258Q and still make use of it.
    Worth noting though as I don't think these were listed as some of the GSync compatible displays.

walker_2003 likes this.
  7. ol-skool

ol-skool Member

Enjoying it with Asus Rog 32" XG32VQ whatever it is :D

8. dasa2

dasa2 Member

Just picked up a Samsung CF791 3440x1440 but it flickers in some games like CIV VI although all the shooters I have tried work ok and the only games experiencing flickers thus far are ones that don't really need FreeSync enabled.

There is a list of monitors being built here
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...2Zi1su7QzPRNJY/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true#

And I am wishing I had found this review that shows there is a newer model of my monitor that works better with FreSync\G-Sync the LC34J791
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...esync-monitors-for-nvidia-graphics-cards-7044

9. spank36

spank36 Member

What do you think of the monitor? Weighing up between that, the Viewsonic XG3240 and AOC AG322QC4.

10. ol-skool

ol-skool Member

ABsolutely love the monitor, played Far Cry New Dawn over the weekend, and it was butter smooth and looks amazing. Will never go back to 60Hz for gaming every again :)

11. spank36

spank36 Member

Good to hear, I'm thinking of side grading from my Acer Predator 34XR41

12. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

So... A little update from me. I purchased a Chinese Curved 27" 144hz 1440p Freesync monitor on Alibaba. In essence, it's this Kogan 27" Curved 144hz monitor, I just bought it directly from China for $120 less.
    Anyway, as it's Freesync, I wanted to see how G-Sync compatibility went. Unfortunately, out the box I had flickering mainly in BFV, a lesser extent PUBG. I then researched as what the issue might be, and discovered lots of people on Reddit said that some cheap Freesync monitors' default Freesync range is something like 45-148, therefore if your frames drop below 45, there is flicking. I modified this to 35-144 via CRU, and voila, works a treat. There's some slight flickering, but far less noticeable then before. The flickering that remains could be caused by RivaTuner displaying MSI afterburner information in game - still gotta work that out.

13. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Hmm that's interesting. Sounds like LFC isn't working properly on the nvidia drivers for that monitor, it should be frame doubling below 45fps so even on a 45-144hz monitor should adapative sync down to ~23fps (1/2 of 45hz).

14. fitfirst

fitfirst New Member

Blur busters is old news, here is something more recent.

I never use Vsync. I make sure Vsync is turned OFF in the NVCP and OFF in game

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

The best solution is gsync and vsync on in NVCP with a frame cap 2 or 3 fps lower then refresh rate*

His example is on one freesync panel on 1 game, Blurbusters covered several and more importantly gsync monitors. And at most the difference between vsync on and off was like 1ms in his setup.

Also don't be bagging Blurbusters, their know their shit.

*Unless you playing csgo and absolutely want lowest input lag at cost of tearing/stutter.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  16. Sledge

Sledge Member

Looking to get this atm...
    Any issues at all? Will be paired with RTX2080 , so interested in gsync compatibility...

wait... no speakers??

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 at 12:57 PM
  17. Kow

Kow Member

So many options for gaming monitors but No where to see how they actually look in RL lol :)

18. neRok

neRok Member

Freesync on Nvidia works for me. I've not noticed anything unusual.

Attached Files:

19. Sledge

Sledge Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 at 2:38 PM
  20. nope

nope Member

WORKS perfectly on my bogan samsung va 100hz