G.W.C

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by dche5390, Mar 21, 2010.

1. dche5390

dche5390 Member

G.W.C.

[​IMG]

Every photographer's nightmare when it comes to weddings. Bloody G.W.C's.

But what happens if the guy (with camera) is in fact, a groomsman of the bridal party? Groomsman. With. Camera. It does not get ANY worse than that.

Enter me. Groomsman with camera (and lenses, flash and all).

Now before I get an inbox full of PM's of hate mail and this thread derails into abuses to the GWC, I was asked to bring along my gear. The official photographer was paid to cover only 7 hours of the entire day. That left another 7 hours without any coverage.

I'm fairly certain I only grabbed my camera when the official toga wasn't shooting. I was very well behaved. Most of the time, my gear was in my bag. Even at that, I managed to snap off 450 odd RAWs.

First time I've been at a wedding since acquiring a DSLR. First time as a groomsman. First time as a dreaded G.W.C. Last time to do all of the above all at once. I'm too old for this shit.

A few very quick edits from last night. God-damn it was a hot day in Sydney yesterday. The winterish suits did NOT help!

To bride and groom, Marty & Mel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "The last supper"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you enjoyed this small set as much as I did. Please do comment on anything you like (WB, composition, etc).

Wedding photographers. They have my utmost respect.

Cheers,
    Dan
    G.W.C

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. !nsane

!nsane Member

I personally have never and hopefully will never do weddings :)

cool shots mate, apart from # 7 which I didn't like (pose not flattering to the bride at all)

a great set with a good perspective. you use depth of field well and to your advantage :)

Cheers,

Daniel

3. TwinII

TwinII Member

I think I'm missing something - what does G.W.C stand for! (Edit: I just worked it out)

I think I'll be in a similar situation to you in a couple of week - I'm a keen photographer and I'm my brothers best man! I think I'll have to hand the camera over to the wife until the photographer leaves!

I like shots 1, 3, 11, 12 and 13.

Martin

4. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

It seems as though I took over 500 photos. Culled down to 177 so far in LR. I really missed having my 80-200mm as it's difficult getting candids being close up with a 50mm or even with a 28-75mm, there just isn't enough distance for isolation.

My jaw was cramping from all the smiling. Odd being at the other end of the camera.

There is so much more to photography than just clicking a shutter button. It's pretty crazy shooting a wedding alone. Then on top of that dealing with every uncle aunt tom dick and harry who is a GWC. Crazy. Respect.

Here are some more from the wedding rehearsal a few days prior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Groom & Best Man

[​IMG]

Thanks Daniel. I'm bit of a DoF junkie as Aperture mode is all I can figure out.

As best man, you will have no chance to get a shot off let along be able to carry anything remotely bigger than a PnS. Its a great responsibility. I'm still a bit envious that I didn't get the role.

#3 has a lot of meaning to me, being it the groom's last meal before becoming a married man. Meat pie. Steak meat pie. It doesn't get more manly than that (apart from frozen left over pizza!).

The rest of the bridal party was pretty weirded out when I took the bride's shoes. I don't think the photographer had a chance to get any shots of Mel's shoes. Picture being on a golfing green with a groomsman lying flat on his stomach taking a pair of purple heels whilst the rest of the bridal party are starring on in bewilderment (B&G were off in a distance getting photos done).

5. ChaoS-GoD

ChaoS-GoD Member

OMG I was in the same situation just last week. There was a lot of pressure on me to take as many photos as I could, since the groom didn't want to pay for many photos from the hired tog. I didn't even end up eating much in the reception. :( Still working on PP the photos as I type this, and it isn't even my full time job.

6. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

I ate my fill. And I sure drank my fill (free flow of spirits mmmm yum!). Probably slightly dehydrated though with the full-on summer like weather yesterday!

I won't have much time to PP any further photos until perhaps April. Uni and work are ramping up as well as my own personal life.

B&G didn't opt to include an all-day round-the-clock photographer so kudos to Zakari for shooting the girl's makeup session in the morning on extreme short notice. I look forward to seeing those finals.

I felt the real pressure towards the conclusion of the night as the B&G were leaving for their honeymoon via the grand cliche exit (human archway). As the toga had left way before as per his agreement, the bride's mother requested that I cover that part. I set myself up towards the end. Fired a few test shots to check that lighting would be ok. Decided against flash. And just held the shutter until the buffer filled. Got a few keepers there so I'm glad.

A few iconic shots I missed such as cake cutting and shit but that's what the paid guy is for! Plus, being one of the four non-caucasions at the reception was awkward for me to go around shoving a lens into people's faces (no matter how smashed they were).

I'll need to invest in a decent NR plugin now.

7. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

The details like the ring, desert dish, cake look nice

Imo, pump up the exposure or brightness on 4-7 as the people are a little dark in them. The background might get overexposed but try it out anyway

But yeh I hate it when ppl with their Kodak easyshares get in your way ... also had a Canon XLS1 camera guy smoking right in my face last night..

8. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

That first photo with the ring is the absolute shit .. probably the best wedding photo I've seen for a long long long time ... :thumbup:

9. Robjess

Robjess Member

Wow Dan some really great shots there mate..!! :thumbup: Now stopping swapping ##$%$ brands and spend more time shooting.. you clearly are good at this shit..

10. Athiril

Athiril Member

some nice work, you can improve the portraits a bit by using shadows & highlights tool in photoshop to bring up the dark areas (and skin tones) up a bit without affect rest of picture :)

11. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

great shots!

i have the dilemma of being a bit of a photography enthusiast and having to endure my own wedding in just over a month without having my baby with me. Even worse now that i just got the 24-70L :lol:

i'll probably give it to someone to go nuts with for the day

12. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

Give it to me! Congrats mate. The day will be long. There will be hiccups. But big picture-wise, things will be exactly how they should be. Relax and enjoy the beginning of a wonderful thing.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not comfortable with PS but will see what I can do. All PP is done via LR2 at the moment.

B-B-B-But swapping gear is my true passion and photography is just a by-product! HA!

Long live the Ai 55mm f/3.5mm macro. It's no 100L but it appears as though from the comments here, that it's not too shabby.

My iMac has not been calibrated and I turn the brightness down so I don't get blinded by its massive bright screen. I'll see what I can do with #4-7. Thanks fro the tip.

Well, I was one of those G.W.C's so I can't really comment can I? Bloody fucking G.W.C's.

13. csimpson

csimpson Member

I'm going to go against the grain here to say that I quite like #7. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's a classic photograph that the bride can one day show to her kids/grandkids. Personally I'd mute the colours slightly, get a little more exposure on her face and skin, and add some more length so her hand isn't slightly cut off (if you have extra crop to work with) - then it would be a definite keeper.

14. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

I'm on my work comp now and the photos do look much MUCh darker than on my iMac.

#7 captures Mel for who she is. I don't do any sort of retouching. I'll try to get a longer crop but I recall the toga being on the left hand side, hence the tight crop. It was more of a candid passing shot where she paused, saw me and smiled, rather than a full-on pose (as the photographer was behind her).

15. csimpson

csimpson Member

I don't mean retouching - rather just a bit of an exposure boost with LR's adjustment brush, because I think her right eye is a little lost in shadow. I'm not viewing on a calibrated monitor though so take that with a huge grain of salt :)

16. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

Understood. Will have to find time to fire up LR hopefully after this weeks (multiple assignments due).

Hopefully will have the full set available on flickr as well! I've a massive backlog of photos to PP.

17. csimpson

csimpson Member

Looking on my calibrated U2410 at work it's better, but I still think it could use a small bump especially on the right-hand side of her face. Let me know how it goes :D

18. OP
    OP
    dche5390

dche5390 Member

Haven't used the adjustment brush before in LR. Will have to see how I go. Either that or learn what athril was alluding to in PS.

19. kix

kix Member

#5 and #7 are my favourites.
    Something just sticks out about them..

20. Crimpage

Crimpage Member

#4, Wow those bridesmaids are hot!

Yeah, good shots. I like the rings and cuff links. Shiny!