G1.Sniper 2 Overclocking guide and Support for Gamers and OC'ers.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Vivi, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Vivi

Vivi New Member

[​IMG]

Hey Dudes and gals!

I know it's rugby world cup and i'm from south africa so please keep your comments unbiased :p, although we are totally gonna whoop your ass. (not really actually, we've not been playing too great lately)

Ok on to overclocking!

THREAD SECTIONS

#1 Overclocking Guide
    #2 Voltage report

#1 Overclocking Guide

I set up a very basic guide to overclocking the Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2. It's suitable for newbies and the knowlege'd.

I will give any Overclocking support needed regarding this board in this thread. So ask away

Not every system is the same! So it's hard to "fine tweak" a guide.
    Remember cooling is important, do not follow this guide with only a stock cooler.

In this situation i will be using a 2600k (applies to 2500k aswel)
    and Memory that can run 1866mhz.

Let's get started!

Get in the BIOS! (spam delete key at boot)

Load Optimized defaults, just to clean all the settings.

[​IMG]

Now lets enter the motherboard intelligent tweaker, this is where we will be setting all our main settings.

[​IMG]

Jump into advanced frequency settings, this is all the CPU related stuff.

[​IMG]

Boom! Go straight to 45 multi, just for the purpose of this guide. It's rare that a cpu can't do 4.5ghz so it should be fine. Also set your memory Divider to what your memory is rated at. In MY case 1866.

[​IMG]

Now we will have a look at the Advanced CPU Core features. We won't change much but there is a very important setting in here.

[​IMG]

Yea that important setting i was talking about.. It's called Interal CPU PLL Overvoltage, and without this you can forget about ever reaching high mhz. Some Cpu's can reach 4.5ghz without this turned on, but it's better for overall overclocking stability to keep it on always. For a 24/7 overclock leave everything else as it is.

[​IMG]

Ok! Lets get into memory. Sandybridge memory is very hard to get stable in some cases, so i won't go too hard into this, it will be good to ask questions in this thread on getting your memory propperly overclocked and stable. But i will show you the basics.

[​IMG]

RED: Disabled X.M.P. We will manually tune our memory.
    GREEN: Select the multiplier of your memory.
    YELLOW: Set your Timing selection to "QUICK". So we can change the timings of 1 memory stick and it will be applied to the other.

[​IMG]

Now go into the Channel A timings menu.

GREEN: Timings with most effect on performance. Also the timings that cause system instability if too tight.
    ORANGE: Timings with less effect on performance but can be lowered quite a bit from stock.

If you are a bit scared just stick to changing the Standard settings to what your memory is rated at. In my case 9-9-9-24 is fine. I would recommend making CMD (right at the bottom) 1.

[​IMG]

Last but not least the MOST IMPORTANT THING that makes everything work. Voltage.

[​IMG]

RED: Important voltages. 1.35v is safe, for anyone using aftermarket cooler. Multi-step Load Line on level 5 is the best setting. This means you won't lose any volts when the CPU is under Load. 1.35v with level 5 Multi-step will be around 1.4v real voltage, and it will stay 1.4v under load. Memory Voltage on 1.65 or whatever your memory is rated at.
    Orange: Not so important, but MAY help for some in some cases. If your memory is unstable increase this voltage to around 1.15v.
    GREEN: Not important volts at all. But Having PLL low is better than having it High, might help for temps.

[​IMG]

WHEN YOU ARE DONE SAVE YOUR OC SETTINGS TO A PROFILE.
    PRESS "F11" WHEN YOU ARE ON THE MAIN BIOS SCREEN.

This is what i acheived with the above settings

Config:

G1.Sniper 2
    GTX 580

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok that's it, i told you it was basic! Now experiment more yourself and ask questions here if you need help getting it stable.

FAQ:
    What voltage is safe ?
    Watch your temperature, but for CPU 1.35v and LLC Level 5 is very safe. Memory 1.65 - 1.7v should be ok Depending on how good it scales. Don't just increase volts if it doesnt help your clock or stability.

I am getting blue screens of death?
    You are obviously unstable, take it one step at a time. Put your memory on stock speeds (if you have 2133 memory, put it on 1866), and only clock CPU to see if it's CPU instability. And so on. Possibly requires more volts or just can't reach your desired clock.

#2 Voltage Report

From my G1.Sniper 2 Power Check Thread.

If you want to know what voltage output you will get from what you put in the BIOS and what it ACTUALLY is look at the tests below.

Bios vs Multimeter (real)

[​IMG]

Pretty damn accurate, memory is spot on.

Next up we have Gigabyte's famous array of LLC (Load Line Calibration) levels.

What is LCC? LLC counters the voltage lost when the CPU go's under load.
    So what LLC does it tries to equalise the difference between IDLE and LOAD voltages.

Gigabyte has 10! Levels, this is how they perform.

BIOS SETTINGS

Vcore 1.3
    Memory 1.65
    VTT / IO 1.10

[​IMG]
    Very acceptable no LCC result!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would not recommend going above LLC6. It will just become more dangerous. So stick to 4 or 5. As stated in my OC guide, cool!

2. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

Let the rugby bios begin.

YOU SOUTH AFRICANS ARE GOING DOWN :)

I like your guide, it has lots of picture :)

3. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

Great guide.
    Nice and simple :thumbup:

4. dinos22

dinos22 Member

thanks for sharing Vivi :thumbup:
    LOL what a welcome I love it :lol:

5. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

what he said. you south africans are going down in the rugby.

as for your guide. man one has to a complete numb nuts not to be able to follow those instructions.

6. XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX Member

Just bought a G1 Sniper2 so will definitely follow this guide - thanks!

7. dinos22

dinos22 Member

8. mediaforensics

mediaforensics New Member

Hi Vivi,
    What aftermarket cooling are you using on your system?

9. XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX Member

I love the fact this thing has an X-Fi onboard... am offloading my X-Fi Forte in the trading forum :D

10. OP
    OP
    Vivi

Vivi New Member

It's a sweeet board deadly!

and at Media, i was using a GlacialTech UFO cooler..
    Not a good cooler at all and the clocks were easy to get.
    [​IMG]

Yea i made this guide easy so new OC'ers can start here. And good OC'ers can discus stability issues or problems.

Thanks for the bios thread dinos!

11. XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX Member

Yeh well I just snagged a 2500K off here that can apparently do 4.8ghz at 1.25v with just air cooling (previous owner) - I will be using a Corsair H100 with it so can't wait to see what I can get it to using this board :D

I'm only used to X58, where I have volts up to 1.5v or more - is sandy bridge roughly the same in terms of volts you can give the chip? Or would ~1.5v or higher on the 2500K be considered 'suicide'?

12. dinos22

dinos22 Member

try to stick to 1.4-1.45 that will be enough for 5Ghz. If you have a really nice chip maybe you will be able to go lower than 1.4 but who cares. These chips will get toasty too once you start cranking voltage and some CPU intense stuff at higher clocks

13. dinos22

dinos22 Member

Here's a video with me messing around with a few different RAM kits to get it up and running quick without any major bios tinkering :thumbup:

14. ada3k

ada3k Member

Awesome thread to get me going :).

Anyone run into issues putting 4 sticks of RAM in? I can post/boot fine with 2, as soon as I up it to 4 sticks, just powers on for about 10 seconds then back off...Haven't looked into it much probably a bios setting (guessing undervolting or too tight timings).

15. dinos22

dinos22 Member

Are you on the latest bios, F4H? Also copy main to back up bios, on start press ALT+F12

I've only tested some Kingston HyperX 4x2GB 2133Mhz and they run at rated speed i didnt have to do much.

Try doing 2x first and set XMP, save and shutdown, put the other two sticks and see what happens...

Dino

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  16. OP
    OP
    Vivi

Vivi New Member

what sticks of memory are you struggling with?

I spoke to some gigabyte insiders and they are still working on fixing elpida hyper support (old good memory past 2133).

But for newer 2133 memories it should be fine like Dino showed!

Thx

17. ada3k

ada3k Member

Ok updated to H bios, same issue.

Slots nearest cpu (#2 / #4) work without any issues.

Slots furthest away (#1 / #3) refuse to allow any ram to post.

I've tried setting the SPD's manually and also just optimised defaults, no difference.

I've switched which sticks and they all work 100% in 2/4 but not even one stick can post in 1.

Any suggestions very much welcome.

Using Mushkin Blackline 996995 - PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5 (running on correct divider to hit 1600).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  18. dinos22

dinos22 Member

use slots 2/4 if it works in then :thumbup:

it is a bit odd though but it may be related to your memory kit. So you saying it doesnt post at all when even one stick is in slot 1 or doesnt post when you set to 1600? Does mushkin state what platform they certified those sticks to run at rated speed and volts?

19. dinos22

dinos22 Member

added configurations with 4 memory sticks at 2133MHz

Kingston HyperX (8GB) are rated at 2133Mhz so that was a straight forward XMP profile enable

Corsair GTX7 (16GB) are rated at 2400Mhz and i set XMP and manually set primary timings to make sure its stable

sometimes when ram is rated higher bios tries to tighten timings at lower speeds which in this case made it unstable as it was a bit too tight.

20. ada3k

ada3k Member

Issue is that i have 4x 4GB sticks so i'm currently stuck with only getting two working.

Tried enabling XMP works fine once again with memory in 2/4 as soon as you try just 1/3 or 2/4 + 1/3 fails to post, powers on then about 2 seconds later powers off, no codes/beeps etc.