1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

G15 modding thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TheLobb, Oct 11, 2007.

1. TheLobb

TheLobb (Banned or Deleted)

Hey because G15 modding seems to be the flavor of the month. i thought that i would start a collbaroty modding thread. ill start with my two G15's (the carbon fiber one got sent in for warrenty [lcd died, :Pirate: ]. and so i got a new one for free. thats the black one)

I did not mod the black one. because i killed my lcd the first time i gave it to scotty1991 to mod and paint. its Vynyil dyied satin black.

G15 1 (modded by me /fail)

[​IMG]

And here is my new one modded by scotty1991

[​IMG]

so far the new one is fine
    and looks mad

so post your modded G15's so others can see

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. Seith

Seith R.I.P.

Here is mine.

[​IMG]

Original Thread here. But really, you have to see this in real life to see how much better it looks. Will try get a nicer photo on the weekend.

3. DavLe.BeRRy

DavLe.BeRRy Member

hehe, this was inevitable.
    Well i'll reserve this post for when i load the cameras software only my comp :)

My plain black paintjob that is, better than the ugly silver haha, maybe when i can be bothered spending money again i'll carbon fibre it :D

4. OP
    OP
    TheLobb

wow. did you think about mabye doing the three diff sections (maco/qwerty/numpad) in like red green blue. i wanted to do mine in green. but i could not find good square leds :Paranoid:

5. Scotty1991

Scotty1991 (Banned or Deleted)

I like the assorted colour LED's, very nice!

Mien!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS. I think Lobb's turned out better than mine, but i still prefer glossy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  6. OP
    OP
    TheLobb

Yea mine is better. but becuase there is so much Dye on mine i have spent the last 2 days sanding some of they key mouts so that the keys work. i would reccoment stickking little balls of scrunched up tissue paper in the hole that the leds shine through for the keys. that way they would not get caked up.

btw nifty hack for putting they keys on. when you doing to big keys with the metal bars on them

install the metal bar, then get the key and push it onto its mount and keep pushing till you hear it click into the metal. saves heaps of time. :Pirate:

7. DamageInc

DamageInc Member

scotty : how the hell did you do that , like the change the silver thing to black with out fking up the keyboard

8. ojk007

ojk007 Member

damnit i really wanna do this, but i dont have any money atm :p

9. DavLe.BeRRy

DavLe.BeRRy Member

iirc scottys is black vinyl dye.

10. Scotty1991

With great skill, wish to pay me do to it like lobb did?

11. DamageInc

DamageInc Member

i added ya on msn , lets talk business :thumbup:

12. Scotty1991

Heres those pics of lobb's keyboard right after I finished it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was extremely pleased with my finish.

Also, I put more pics of my keyboard up above.

13. OP
    OP
    TheLobb

i really want to see dave's i have nvr seen a pic of his. but he is in all the G15 threads. must see G15

Load cam software asap

:p

14. Billabong00073

Billabong00073 Member

You can only seek my permission to post once you have successfully completed a G15 Mod....till then dont demand :)

15. DavLe.BeRRy

DavLe.BeRRy Member

Haha what?

k lobb, here is my effort. As soon as i saw Billabong post the first painted G15 and i spilt lemon tea all over my keyboard i just knew it had to be painted. (once i got it clean :p)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    excuse the blurring, i turned off the flash and a slower shutter speed gives the lighting a much better effect - but maybe too slow :o (i may have to whip out the tripod for some quality digital 350D shots ;))

I really did want to do the red LEDs too but i was afraid of breaking something, this is with the new LCD (if you remember i broke it when dissasembling the keyboard) i forgot who it was here on OCAU you provided me with the replacement but special thanks goes out to them :D

I think i did a good job covering the G15 logo, looks very clean imo. Doesn't look as pro as the vinyl dye but i like the gloss and desired effect has been achieved - much more attractive than the factory finish.. However i do really wanna try the carbon fibre :weirdo:

16. OP
    OP
    TheLobb

Cool looks good. its so hard to take pics with out a tripod and Dslr. and my dslr is afk at the moment. looks good. did u use standard paint or shiny dye on yours. i want to led mod mine to. i will have to open it again to fix the mute and light button. as the little gel thing that presses the button sliped and is not making contact so now the buttons dont work :wired: so ill have to reopen mine. im going to go to jaycar on tuesday and ill see what they have. im going to use green on mine.

@Billabong. i modded my first G15 with as much success as you did with yours........the carbon fiber one was my doings. scotty did the vynil dye. with assistance from me (like waking him up and telling him to hurry up)

17. DavLe.BeRRy

DavLe.BeRRy Member

I was thinking the same myself :) i just need to study the LED configuration abit better.

It's just that cheap white king squirts stuff, black gloss enamal. 3 coats hit the spot for me.

18. OP
    OP
    TheLobb

has yours rubbed off. scottys is not standing up to frequent use....thats why i made sure he vynil dyed mine. a bonous of the dye is that its not sticky. like its almost like a powder coat. feels sexy

19. Billabong00073

Billabong00073 Member

mine aint having any problems at all, and i used matt black from a spray can.

I have another G15 on the way and if i can fix it ill do an awesome mod to it!
    *cough*halo*cough*

20. OP
    OP
    TheLobb

halo? goto see this. but i hope its not like a big ass vynil sticker of master cheif...but if its green and copper like the xbox branded halo stuff. then that would look cool. but the keys will still be black. i wish i could change the colour of keys. i would do mine in all white.

btw billabong. what size leds did you use on yours. 3mm?