1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

G5 Case Mod :)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Shortass_Jr, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

guys i got a g5 case off the forums here and i have had a crack at modding it to fit an atx board looks the goods, ill post some photos up shortly :) so far iv put a lian-li motherboard tray to replace the rear of the case and glued some stand offs to hold it all :) its basically ready to put all my hardware in!!!!

2. Archy

Archy New Member

Can't you drill holes for the standoffs?

Also, if you're replacing fans, these might keep in with the aluminium theme: http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/fan_al.htm

Can't wait to see it.

3. OP
    OP
    Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

you cant drill them its hard to explain but it cant be done i just used some epoxy and it worked a treat :) photos will be up tomorrow!

4. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Interesting..

Very keen to see what it looks like :)

5. Tazor

Tazor Member

oo, looks like fun. Curious to see how it turns out.

6. OP
    OP
    Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

here are some photos of the motherboard tray in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the install will go as follows..... look at last photo for more of a visual, top right corner HDD caddy that holds two 3.5mm HDDs, top left holds the cd drive o and the button..... well lol i have an apple keyboard so to eject ill use the keyboard :) the motherboard tray will hold my X58A-UD3R board, my power supply will sit at the bottom right corner and two 92mm fans will sit on the front hanging from the cd drive bay :) blowing into the case!!!!

now i have a few small problems first is the power, where do i put it????? any feedback would be great after i solve that i will put the rest of the computer in there :) o and im waiting for a cable to come from the states, it converts the g5 case front io panel to atx so i can use firewire usb ect as seen in photo 3 :) a guy from instantlymac hand makes them just for this :) im lazy i could have done it myself but to much stuffing around for me....... GIVE ME FEEDBACK :p

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. SVD115

SVD115 Member

ah, i like your idea of the mobo tray...i was just going to try and work around the whole issue of the small back-plate etc... (im using a G4 Case...But still same principal...)

8. OP
    OP
    Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

motherboard tray is a god sent but iv seen guys who spend a mint on converters and cable n such, so they use the factory backplate.... i wanted this build to last for future upgrades so i can rip out my board and put a new one ect!!!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  9. OP
    OP
    Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

Not one comment about the power socket???? Help a brother out :)

10. kristianzanek

kristianzanek Member

only thing i can say is scrap the case :p, and give me the mesh out of it, i need to track down mesh the same as that.

11. Tazor

Tazor Member

looking at it, you may be able to fit something in the top area behind the optical drive, Would need to be slim, maybe a shuttle psu or something? Or you could place it on the mid-plate or hang it off the side past where the mobo tray ends and route the power cable to the back. I dunno, you may be in abit of a pickle there :p But your best bet would probably be the midplate towards the front and routing the power cable to the back, looks like you'll have room there. Not sure what's meant to go there usually, looks like mounting holes for something.

EDIT: looks like that's the top actually, I dunno, looks like a PSU would fit there though...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  12. kristianzanek

kristianzanek Member

i have seen it done before, modify a psu and take it out of its case and make a new case with like a 60mm fan in it and then mount it to the top. i think a 450 watter will give you a small enought board, then if u have a high power gfx get a thermal take 5.25 power supply for it.

13. Saggas

Saggas Member

mate looks good!

do you have a link to that cable for the front IO. searching has left me empty handed.

14. OP
    OP
    Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

15. Saggas

Saggas Member

good stuff mate!

now some more research. as I think the macpro (intel) connector is slightly different.

16. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Good work on the mod, it's nice and neat...... but:

I have to ask why? A mate of mine bought an off-the-shelf G5 lookalike ATX case 6 years ago for $80.... it looked exactly the same....

17. OP
    OP
    Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

mate i wont like i got the case for 70 bucks and everyone knows that doing mod is great fun its a challenge thats why i didn't go out and buy any old case :) o and guys its all up and running a few small things to do but its all going :D

18. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Fair enough :D

Like I said, so far it's a nice, neat job. Have fun :)

19. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

I can't see anyone making a case of the same quality for $80. Lookalike or not. Anyway, this is a modding forum, after all. :D

20. Saggas

Saggas Member

the lookalikes I have seen were fairly poor quality compared to the apple build quality.

sorry for thread crapping. show us the pics :)