G70 is ready...woo hoo!

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, May 9, 2005.

1. lowdog

lowdog Member

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Well, if that info is correct, then all the fears about Nvidia having a huge power draw were unfounded. Indeed, it might go the other way (ATI seems to have been having more trouble than Nvidia with the 110nm process - Nvidia might end up with cooler GPUs for the first time since the GFFX).

3. domlebo

domlebo Member

I would questio nthe vailidty of that article, as The Inquirer have long been known as being an errr... shoddy source. Although if it is true, then all i can say is.. DAMN! I WANT ONE!

4. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

that AND they say so in the first line

"THERE IS little enough information available on Nvidia's next generation"

5. Azz-AmoebA

Azz-AmoebA Member

It seems like the INQ cant make up their mind if it's gonna be power hungry or not. They posted new a couple of weeks ago that it'll have 2 power plugs and now they're saying it's gonna run cool. Thats guess work at its best.

6. angelessme

angelessme Member

no they wrote that nvidia requested the two power thing be put onto the next spec or something, then offered some conjecture as to why

7. sandeep

sandeep Member

Maybe they need it for the G80 speculated to be 32 pixel pipeline with 1.4ns memory 512Meg on a 110ns process??

Well if 6800GT could be a single slot on a 130ns, it sort of makes sense. On the other hand, once a 6800ULTRA is overclocked, the rate at which it consumes power is quite high.Hence you really need a good power supply for 2*6800ULTRA on SLI.

8. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I think I will wait for the G100 ...Quad GPU 1 Trillion G/B throughput / multiple displays (up to 8 from the one card)...Optional back scratcher and built in coffee and tea maker.

9. Fodder

Fodder (Banned or Deleted)

That's not speculation, it's baseless conjecture, and a very poor effort. The 110nm and 1.4ns for a start is blatantly wrong, given that we're looking at at least those specs for G70 and R520.

10. OP
    OP
    lowdog

lowdog Member

I was under the impression that R520 would be 90nm. :confused:

11. Fodder

If you draw yourself up a Venn diagram, you'll find that from a technology perspective, 90nm falls within 'at least 110nm'.

12. sandeep

sandeep Member

And WHO has got the 90ns running?? And where do you find a 1.2ns ram?? :confused: At times I really question your counteracting statements. Not much basis to it either isn't it? (Reverting to your statement on PS3.0 efficiency on NV40 and you pointed me to a bunch of forum threads filled with rather conjecture of garbage. Pretty lame I thought as I scratched my head and... pufff waste of time.)

P.S Syn for speculation if I recall my 'banks' is conjecture. :tongue:

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  13. Fodder

TSMC and IBM, who coincidentally fab the vast majority of ATI and NVIDIA's products.
    Samsung are shipping it, but I expect 1.4ns on the upcoming parts. The 1.6ns used this generation won't be nearly enough for a 24 pipeline 500MHz or 16 pipeline 700MHz part. G80 isn't due until next year, by which time 110nm and 1.4ns will be midrange options.
    Sounds to me like you didn't read (or perhaps understand) them.
    The important word here is 'baseless'.
    And I question your reading comprehension skills.

14. OP
    OP
    lowdog

lowdog Member

Now what do we reckon for G70.

16, 24 or 32 puf puf pipes.

450, 500, 550, 600, 700Mhz core???

Tranie count......yuck tranies :sick:

Just joking, but realy, what do you guys think we will see in reality.

15. spectreofgloom

spectreofgloom Member

Well that depends on whether we are talking about the "super, mega, ultra, platinum edition" or just the GT. ;)

My guess though is 24 pixels with a 550ish core. Like the relationship between the 6600gt and 6800gt, they probably will also have a 12/16 pixel part running at about 650Mhz. There may, in 6-12 months' time be a bump to a 28/32 pixel core .

I won't estimate the tran counts because my electronics knowledge is...considerably incomplete.

EDIT - These are assuming that the R520 is a worthy competitor. If it isn't then Nvidia will probably cut these back for the sake of yields and speed bump later on (as necessary).

16. SLATYE

I'm guessing that we'll continue to see 16 pipelines, maybe 20 if we're lucky (although the '20 pipe' part may actually have more and keep them disabled - by having a few spare, you can greatly increase yields although it also increases die costs).

For the core, I'd expect 500Mhz or maybe a bit more. An estimate could be based on average GF6600GT overclocks - it's that technology, just expanded.

17. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

I agree, I doubt very much that we'll see any complex 32 pipeline designs until SM4 which has the unified shaders

18. spectreofgloom

spectreofgloom Member

Oh, I didn't realise this. I thought G70 was a new core from the ground up.

19. Fodder

It's the same process as NV43, but a far higher transistor count. It'll be based on NV4x, but have a few enhancements such as full hardware 3Dc support. For the top end model, I expect 24 pipelines but only 16 ROPs (as NV43 is 8 and 4) ,at 500MHz or lower. Any higher and I think yields would start to be a worry.
    Unified shaders are no longer a requisite part of SM4.0, and it looks like while ATI are taking the unified approach (R500 for Xenon seems to have 48 unified ALUs) NVIDIA may even be further separating them.

20. SLATYE

It may be, but I doubt it (they haven't had time since the NV40 to design and build a completely new architecture). It'll be based on the old one again.

I was actually trying to refer to the manufacturing technology with that comment (it'll be the same 110nm process that the 6600GT uses - just on a larger scale for the far larger core). I'd expect that with the maturing process, the overclocks on current 6600GTs may show the stock speed for a brand-new GPU.