1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Galaxy Note series firmwares

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Timcyn7, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Timcyn7

Timcyn7 Member

Hi,

I have a note 4. It is painfully slow. Its been worse since it updated to lollipop.
    I have done several resets etc but it still freezes and crashed etc. Has anyone else had the same problems?
    I want to ( if possible ) load a stock firmware into it. I had the same problem with my note 3 and loaded a stock, no bloat ware ROM onto it and it helped alot. My wife is having the same issues with her note 2. So i dunno if its a buggy update or other software related?
    Any ways, has anyone have any links to stock roms that will work with aussie phones. I cant remember where i found the info on my note 3.

Thanks

2. aussie7

aussie7 Member

May help Sammobile has stock ROMS

Just enter your model number and it will display ROM's for your phone. Don't worry if the ROM is in a different language as you can choose English when you setup the new ROM

3. sanjay

sanjay Member

I'm currently using AryaMod v7 on my Galaxy Note 3

not sure if there is an equivalent for the Galaxy Note 4 but i'd strongly recommend it if so.

4. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

wierd, i was running a note2 for almost 3 years. and it got really laggy towards the end. i since upgraded to a note 4 and it flies.
    google the youtube vids on how to speed it up by removing all the fancy ui features and see if that helps

5. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

I've got a Note 3 and wife has as a Note 4. Both running stock Lollipop. I'm running Nova Launcher on mine although slow at times, it's running pretty well most of the time with little lag. A few force closes on Marvel Future Fight, but that's a pretty intensive graphics and cpu game. I've only factor reset once when I went from Kit Kat to Lollipop,

On the Note 4, it's pretty damn smooth without having to do any factory resets.

What is it that's actually freezing or crashing?

6. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Maybe try CM12.1 for your Note 4. I hear it's stupidly quick. Nova launcher helps too.

7. Grant

Grant Member

Interesting - do ROMs like this that are based off official ones distribute the built-in apps? If not is it simply a matter of saving the APKs from the stock device before flashing? I'd mainly be worried about the free S-pen apps.

8. OP
    OP
    Timcyn7

Timcyn7 Member

It started with facebook. Thought bugger all of it. Then chrome, messages, settings, alarm clock lol. My wifes note 2 randomly restarts too.
    I emailed samsung and they said they know of lollipop being buggy and are waiting for an update. they have had heaps of complaints. Just said to wait it out lol.

Thanks for the suggestions. i checked out sammobile and im downloading a stock rom now.

9. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Any issues to speak of like GPS not locking on? I have N3 with 5.0 but the GPS is crap and even with third party fixers doesn't work well.

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

+1 trying a third party launcher. Should improve performance a fair bit just taking touchwiz out of the equation, s-pen will still work fine.

11. sanjay

sanjay Member

ive not had any issues but its not my main phone. might take it for a drive on the weekend and see if it has any issues.

the AryaMod ROM certainly includes all the stock Samsung apps and they update through the Play Store just as they do on the stock ROM. you can choose what Samsung and google apps you want to install when installing the ROM itself, which is nice, as there is a whole load of junk apps included with Samsung phones.

12. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Happily running KitKat on my Note 4. You should check out other users' experience before any OTA update. Lollipop is Android's transition to 64-bit, and introduces shitload of new features and design changes. 5.0.x is pretty buggy; there is even a memory leak! 5.0.x to 5.1 changelog is incredibly long, and it is probably a good idea to avoid pre-5.1.1 as the memory leak was finally addressed with 5.1.1.

At work, I developed a couple of apps for our service engineers. Those apps consume considerably more power on Lollipop than they do on KitKat because stupid Lollipop leaves the mobile radio in high power state for longer than necessary. I made changes to close TCP/IP immediately, but mobile radio stays on quite sometime before switching. This issue is also observed in M preview. :thumbdn:

As for Note 2, which my wife uses, stick with 4.1.2. She gets roughly 13-hour screen-on time before she has to swap the battery. We tried 4.3 and 4.4.2, but didn't like much. Sure, 4.4.2 would be more secure, but I think Samsung put half-arsed effort in that ROM. I put 4.1.2 on her phone, gained temp root privileges, uninstalled several apps that she would never use and a few Samsung apps that no longer work (why did they disable Wallet?), changed the launcher, and put a 32GB microSD with decent read/write speeds to prevent the phone storage being clogged up with photos, videos, google play files, etc. She is pretty happy with her phone; in fact, she told me to stop messing with OTA updates.

13. aussie7

aussie7 Member

I was using lollipop 5.0 rom from sammobile (linked above) I had no problems with it

I'm now running CM12.1 (lollipop 5.1.1) and I have read that there was some problems with earlier versions of lollipop, but I had no problems

I find cm12.1 zippy and functional for what I use my phone for