Galaxy S6 repair options

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by cdtoaster, Mar 20, 2019.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

I have a Samsung S6 128GB where the charging port doesn't work properly anymore (hasn't for ages), the battery is a bit sad as well.
    my location is quite remote, the only place locally said they have to break the screen to get to it and it would cost quite a bit to fix. i was in a capital city recently but only had time to stop by one store, they said it would cost $170 or $300 if the screen breaks while they are fixing it.
    looking at youtube videos it seems quite to remove the screen and replace the module containing the USB port if you know what you're doing.
    has anyone had experience having the battery or usb port replaced?

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Its a lot of work and risk. Coild you just use the wireless charging instead?
    This tends to happen a lot and most people just use the wireless option

3. Hater

Hater Member

i've replaced both these items on my partners S6 edge

it's not that hard, just a bit fiddly, and removing the back glass sucks. such a shit design but workable

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

its a bit shitty of the business to charge you more if THEY break the glass.. IMO

5. OP
    OP
    cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i've been using wireless charging and using airdroid to transfer files but with the shorter battery life and inability to use a power bank it's becoming less viable, especially when i travel and want to use it as a media device.

yeah, you'd think it's easy for someone who claims to repair phones professionally.

6. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Buy my pixel2xl. :Lol:

7. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

upgrade time, no ifs or buts

qwertylesh and Radley like this.
  8. Radley

Radley Member

Don't waste your time with a 4 year old phone, it's time to get a new one. I moved from S6 edge, to S8 and now I'm on S10 and there's a huge difference.

9. miicah

miicah Member

Upgrade, plenty of cheap china fones to tide you over until something you really want/afford comes out.

10. OP
    OP
    cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

seems like a terrible waste, it's a good size, beautiful screen, lots of storage space and is more than powerful enough for browsing the net and watching videos.
    i wish you could still replace batteries yourself.

11. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Upgrade time for sure, i just replaced my s7edge with the pocophone f1 128gb. 500 outright from kogan and they threw in a bunch of free shit too. Good times

Yeah the battery thing sucks i stuck to the note2 for the longest time due to that but u have to move on eventually

12. Hater

Hater Member

you can.

i wouldn't listen to these nay-sayers, I offered haterella a huawei note 9 as an upgrade to her 6 edge, she didn't want it so i sold it on here

my missus is not a nerdicus who frequents overclocking forums, she couldn't care less about specs and performance as she's happy with what it does now. if yours is happy with the 6 i don't know why you wouldn't just replace the battery with a genuine samsung one and get another few years out of it

the smartphone fad is dead and buried, nobody (besides here, macrumours and people from india) cares anymore

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  13. congoh

congoh Member

Yes it's a waste but since you're not willing to risk replacing the battery yourself it makes more financial sense to buy a new phone.

Even if you replace the battery, it would be a refurbished one (there are no new genuine batteries as stock of genuine batteries are all gone) so your battery life won't improve that much.

I blame people wanting thinner phones with waterproofing for eliminating user replaceable batteries in mobile phones.

14. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Long story short, I have an imported Galaxy S7 Active which is still awesome in a few ways and works well, despite having thin cracks in glass going along the screen. Looked into replacing screen and is ridiculous as would cost more than phone is worth to replace it second hand. Got a Sony XZ Premium refurbished on eBay for less than $300 and it runs nearly pure Android 9, unlike Samsungs bloatware which slows down the phone! I used to own a Galaxy S3, S5 and S7 I already mentioned and I doubt illI go back to Samsung. The Sony's true 4k screen with 807 ppi, 1080p@960fps camera is insane specs for the price but it was retailing at $1100 at one time :D. Only things suck are it's speakers are a bit quiet and flashlight could be brighter on the Sony.

Anyway my point is upgrade, don't waste money repairing unless you are confident to repair it yourself or know someone who can do it cheaply and properly. You won't regret it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  15. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

The S6 is waterproof, right?
    Tried washing it? It's possibly just gunk in the port.

Then try a different usb cable if you haven't already.
    They seem to be getting worse and worse quality lately. I've had a few become duds.