1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Galaxy S9 Moisture warning, Check charge port

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by VL_BT1, May 8, 2018.

1. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

Hi guys,

partner has an S9. Took some photos underwater in a pool yesterday. Even now its still showing the message about water detected in the charging port. Ive tried drying it with a cloth/hair dryer. Hasnt changed. Tried resetting the phone. Still came back. Saw some posts that it could be an oreo software bug but not sure. Anyone else had an issue like this? Right now im downloading firmware and will re-load to see if that helps

These phones have an IP68 rating. Does intentionally putting it under water void its warranty?

2. UncleBully

UncleBully Member

IP68 is "protected against long,durable periods of immersion in water" so i would think that in order to make that claim it would have to be able to operate under water.

3. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Months ago my S7 active refused to charge at all when plugged in, giving a moisture warning even though I've never had it in water or exposed to any moisture. At the time I read online about cleaning the charge port in various ways, but in the end I think I just waited it out trying every few hours till it allowed it to charge. Phone hasn't had this issue since and charges perfectly.

I learnt something new about Samsungs and their "liquid damage indicator" too. Here's an s9 link as all Galaxy versions have this sticker in different areas inside the phone:
    https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-find-damage-on-galaxy-s9-using-liquid-damage-indicator/

4. Dynamite Dave

Dynamite Dave Member

I dropped my s8 in the spa and had the same warning, went away by itself after about 2 days. Just used wireless charging in the mean time.

5. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Put it in some rice... (uncooked)

Sanity_Smith likes this.
  6. thecondor

thecondor Member

Then all the asians come and fix it during the night?

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

Or if you don't want the asians, some desiccate powder/granules (you know, those 'do not eat' packets that come in new things), does the same job - absorbs moisture.

8. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Don't put your phone in rice :wired:

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Don't_Put_Your_Device_in_Rice._Here's_Why...

9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  10. clonex

clonex Member

My S8 has never seen water and regularly comes up with "moisture detected".
    Mates S7 comes with similar complimentary message randomly so must be a samsung thing, i went to measure out some fencing on the weekend and was hoping to take some pics but couldnt as battery was down to 4%.
    Tried the dryer in the morning and made no difference so left it on the dash for 20-30 mins while i measured and started charging when i finish :(

Always seems to be when battery is below 6% :D

11. OP
    OP
    VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

Thanks for the link. Had a look, indicator is fine. The warning is now going off randomly too. It was back earlier, so i vacuumed the port out and it disappeared. came back briefly a few hours later then went off quickly. So could be dirty port coupled with a super sensitive detecting method

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  12. stevo4

stevo4 Member

The residue left behind, after the moisture dries out, being conductive.
    As mentioned above isopropyl alcohol and a bit of careful rubbing with something small enough to fit into the charging port, and another go with the vacuum can fix the problem.
    Had this problem with my S8 last year. fine now.