1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Maker 2.3

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by BurningFeetMan, May 8, 2020.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Hi all,

Finally! Game Maker 2.3 is currently going through public beta testing, and fan videos are starting to pop-up in my feed, spreading the joy.

Yoyo blog (scroll down for the 2.3 blog posts)
    https://www.yoyogames.com/blog

Structs, Constructs, Static variables;

IDE Changes, tags and asset browser

Animation Twines

More Animation Twines

I'm posting this thread just to see if there's any interest here of others dabbling with GMS2, and at the off chance that it generates some interest itself. I would prefer this thread not to be a dick-swinging contest between my-preferred-game-making-app-is-better-than-yours, but rather a place for discussion where anyone interested in making 2D games with GMS2 can join in.

I've been using GMS2 for some time in conjunction with BitBucket and SourceTree - but actually put everything on hold knowing that these improvements are in the works (coding without these new features has been a chore, to be honest) - and finally now they're here. :) I also picked up the GMS2 HTML compiler, which allows me to create and post my games to the web, has been handy for showing off the odd app on my mobile phone when down the pub.

I'd also be keen to start an OCAU collaboration if anyone is keen, in which this thread would also be dedicated to hosting related chat.

Happy coding people!

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

What games have you made so for?

3. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I'm forever learning, but haven't actually finished a game - but I get enjoyment from remaking classics like Ski-free and Asteroid, also learnt how to implement 2D physics - slowly building up my skills year on year.

Below is my sandbox project for learning 2D physics - pushing spacebar on my ship creates an anti-gravity wave that pushes blocks away, depending on their density;

As a side project, I'm figuring out how to blog more, but again... finding the time for my slow potato head is a challenge. Need to spend less time on OCAU :p If you do start game dev, learn how to capture snippets of your project along the way. Great to share in the indie community, helps with motivation and also a look back on memory lane when you're source no longer compiles 10 years later. :D

Thought I'd mention there's a GMS2 sale on now and that 2.3 is now in open beta for everyone to access;

https://www.yoyogames.com/get

Below are some more vids from Michael aka DragoniteSpam on the 2.3 additions (which are crazy overdue but good, wish I had more time to sink into them!!);

Structs and Methods;

4. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

5. breno

breno Member

I've been wanting to make games for years. Always dabbled with level design in editors but I want to finally get serious about it otherwise it'd always remain an unfulfilled desire. Started barebones with UE but just stumbled across Godot. Now I have to convince myself that I can learn to code after years of design.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

When thinking about what it is that you’d love to create, what comes to mind? For me, old school 2D retro rts and outpost style push games are it - all achievable with GMS2, and even more so with 2.3 changes.

I can’t recall why I settled on GameMaker (2D) vs Godot (3D and 2D) vs Unity (3D and 2D, also mainstream). I think it was the smaller yet active discord, the simplicity of not worrying about a 3rd dimension and all that comes with it. Oh, I also recall GameMaker was on sale plus I got the HTML compiler too on the cheap.

Although I haven’t made any games, I at least now gave a firm understanding in BitBucket, sourcetree, and pushing my source about - real world skills.

I’m tempted to hit up fivver for a 2D artist to make me some sprite sets :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    breno likes this.
  7. breno

breno Member

That sounds really cool :) I'd like to make all types, my problem over the years, my ideas are too grand for my knowledge/skills so I've (finally) decided to scale myself down and start simple. I do like pixel art platformers so I'm going to start there but I'd also like to make 3rd person 3D action/adventure type one day.
    I'm trying to work out why you'd choose game maker over free options lol community? Support? Toolset?