Gameboy Color component indentification

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Lem0n, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to revive a Gameboy Color that no longer works after my Mum threw it against a wall when I was younger =P

Here is a link to pictures of the part I believe to be broken I found on the internet (Gameboy Color simply doesn't turn on):
    - https://flic.kr/p/6WsrFK
    - https://flic.kr/p/6WsrUF

The description says that it is the power converter daughter board which would make sense as to why the Gameboy doesn't turn on any more. The part that is actually broken is the round thing with blue colours in the second link. It is basically a coil of copper wire and wires come out of it and are soldered onto the eight contacts (four above and below the round thing).

Here's what mine looks like:
    [​IMG]

What is this broken component and is it easy to source and replace?

Cheers!

2. @rt

@rt Member

It looks like an inductor. If it’s a ferrite material that broke,
    the real brittle stuff, and you can find the piece inside you can just supaglue it back on.

3. hlokk

hlokk Member

What @rt said. Measure with a multimeter across the contacts on resistance mode (probe the circuitboard contacts with a sharp probe). Should read zero. If it doesn't it probably needs replacement. However, the top part shouldn't affect the function enough to stop it working unless contacts have broken off somewhere else (or another part is damaged).

Looks like it might be quite far off the board now or is that just the camera angle?

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

As hlokk has said, that part of the inductor is normally not essential. They're easy to break but I don't think I've ever seen one actually stop working as a result. Normally if you manage to burn out an inductor it's reasonably obvious (discolouration of the coil); that one looks fine.

On the other hand, it's probably worth finding the bit that broke off - it might be floating around causing odd things to happen elsewhere.

5. OP
    OP
    Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Alright so here's another angle with the inductor lifted up a little and you can see the wires soldered from it onto the board:

[​IMG]

Two of the connections have been broken, thoughts one what would be the easiest and cheapest way to fix this?

6. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Ah, right. That is looking a bit more broken. The challenge is going to be finding out exactly what it is. No markings visible? I couldn't see anything in the pictures. Not even a handy switching regulator that might have a recommended inductor.

Your best bet might be finding another GBC that's broken in a different way (eg. LCD smashed, case broken, etc) and swapping the power converter boards.