Gamers anonymous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by BurningFeetMan, May 19, 2004.

1. johnsmith456

johnsmith456 Member

wanna beat being addicted to games? its easy.. delete them off your pc and put the cds away.. then it becomes hard for you to impulse go play the game because you have to go get it etc.. by the time you go get it or muster up enough 'courage' to get it... uve talked urself out of it.. however you must wana quit, worked for me and can work for you!!

used to play cs heaps back in the day of non-steam now i have a steam account but no steam installed on my pc and i dont play ever.. life is more productive on the other side!!

edit.. if you have to download them, even better.. the downloading takes time.. delete the games when your in a rage and motivated to make a difference.. when you want help.. then later when your in a different mind set you are safe because you made the choice when your mind was 'clear' about what you really wanted and not what your feelings want right now! good luck!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  2. Jaff

Jaff Member

Hi everyone,

It's been a tough few months since I last posted here... I've since bought a PS2 and have been playing WRC: Rally Evolved over and over again. Until I set #1 record times I will keep playing... It is a long way off yet as I can only achieve #3 at best. Unfortunately other games have also appeared for it, in the form of NRL2, Star Wars Ep3, Burnout the Revenge and Tekken 5, all of which contribute to sucking up my time :(

The good part is though that my computer no longer has any games on it, a part from BF2 and Steam, and even then I may play BF2 for only an hour or two each week. As for Source I've loaded it on but not played it in a fair few months.

I think I've come a long way and was almost there, but having a PS2 showed up foiled my plans a bit :(

In an effort to spread the word of Gamers Anonymous, I have placed a few posters around our office here and hopefully our bretheren who are in need will hear the call and join us in our fight.

Yours in gaming,

Jaff

3. Kozzie

Kozzie Member

hi my name is Kozzie and i have been addicted to gameing for close to my entire life allthough i am younger then most of you i still vividly remember gameing on machines you would struggle to comprehend it consisted of a long grey rectangle with 2 gray squares with dials on top of each square i believe i beat all 200 games before the age of 3 even despite the fact the the large black gun was probably half my weight. i then moved onto the atari where my only real current memory is why did they call those birds hancherchiefs in joust? reprogramd dos a few times on the office computer with the help of some terrible games and learning programs causeing quite alot of stress for the only computer technician in my town who simply couldnt figure out what happend or to solve it. then my glory days from 5+ was the nes with my best friend rob. rob didnt say mutch but he had some cool shades little did i know that he was merely protecting himself from the dreaded red eyes (later to cause many a partner and family members to believe that i was a addict of another kind) rob was a deceitful guy and fled from the scene to never be seen again if anyone has any knowledge of his where about please private message me. well i think from there on it just went incredibly downhill mostly on the console wagon thank god but that was untill windows 3.1 came out then it well you all know what happens there here i am now macroing 4 ultima online characters at same time and still searching for rob while my girlfriend is no doubt pretending to be asleep to catch me out doing something other then watching a screen. from all this i have learnt one thing dont trust shady robots in shades theyll be the end of you ..... so anyone seen my robot? i need him ...... he had so mutch more time why did he go? all these years and nothing compares hopelessly searching for something better even simular WHOSE GOING TO RAISE THE BLUE PILLERS NOW?!?! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO ME!!!

4. Jaff

Jaff Member

I'm disappointed to be back here again :(

For quite some time I barely played any games and everything was going fantastic. However due to a chain of events I found myself with a new TV and a X-Box 360. Unwilling to let them sit there unused I played a few games casually for an hour or so a couple of days a week.

I then had some time off work and found myself sitting playing Lost Planet and Oblivion for hours on end. And FIFA. FIFA was the worst. I would lose a whole day to playing that game. Oblivion was also another game that I could lose a lot of time to, and unfortunately I regularly did lose that time.

During the recent weeks I have been given a few new games to play and me being who I am, I have played them. I've still yet to beat Fight Night 3 even though my guy is a unit and is so far undefeated. Ricky Ponting Cricket I finished on the hardest difficulty within a few days of getting it. But that did not stop me from playing it through time and time again.

Only the other day did I realise how much I've fallen back in to gaming when I loaded Star Wars Rebellion on to my PC and played that until 3 in the morning, after starting at 8:30pm. And this was a work night.

Thus, I set out on a mission to find this thread and seek the support of those who have helped me in the past. I hope everyone else who has suffered or suffers the same affliction I do is doing well and have managed to make gains in their life.

In an effort to spread the word of Gamers Anonymous, I have placed a number of posters around the office. There is one person here in our office that I am highly concerned about so I have placed it right where he has to walk past it. I have hidden his face to save me from possible death if he were to find out his face was on the internet:

[​IMG]
    Click for larger

Jaff

So fucking bored at work right at the moment

5. konvulse

konvulse Member

A suggestion from me for you people -

- Sell your graphics card if you have intergrated graphics in your PC and buy a set of speakers, or a large monitor. With Intergrated, youll get sick of gaming and wont even try :weirdo:

6. gibbz

gibbz Member

7. cenithx

cenithx Member

Hi my name is Sen and i'm a gamerholic.

I started with the Colecovision and NES.. and in the last 20 years i've not gotten so addicted that I own just about every console ever released in Australia.. and enough games to drown a small family.

I quit my job and started up a console lounge so that I could play all day and get paid for it.. and so i'd never have to "grow up and get a real job".

I play WoW and even put up with it on a laptop with integrated graphics (how's that for commitment?)

I wear geeky shirts that have pictures of NES controllers on them, or the Sega logo, and I even get shirts screenprinted with little-known phrases from games most people have never heard of.. "Cyberhawk ftw!"

I work out and shaved my head so I can look like Zangief.

TV bores me because I can't push buttons to eat the mushrooms on the cooking shows, or save the woman from the gorilla in King Kong by jumping barells and climbing ladders.

Pretty sad aye :p

8. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Or you could simply install Vista64bit and try playing games with only 1gb of ram, you'll very quickly lose interest as you will spend more time looking at the loading screens than actually playing games. It worked for me =)

9. watto86

watto86 Member

I knew I'd seen you somewhere before
    [​IMG]

10. cenithx

cenithx Member

11. TaroT

TaroT Member

hi my name eludes me :)
    i,m not a gameaholic but i am close

it all started full on when UT was released...online stats...THAT is what will be the end of us all...
    i used to play 5 to 10 hours a day to keep near the top, at one stage i could be listed in the top 10, now on dailup against yanks with a ping of 500 to 1500 i was proud...damn proud.

but i got over it, only be hit by the mapping bug(this should be another addiction that has it's OWN thread)
    My maps were nothing exciting...poor really :) but i enjoyed making them and playing them at lans and the like...got so bad at one stage that at lans we would spend half the time buildign maps for ourselves...playign them then making more maps.

the shame....thank god for quake 3 and its piss poor attempt at an editor... :)

other addictions were diablo2 and diablo and ...i can't say it...monopoly and scrabble... it was dailup there wasn't that much going...gimmee a break.

To all you that have te guts to give up good on you i just wish i could go cold turkey...
    but alas ut2004 is calling :)

12. watto86

watto86 Member

Mate, if you had the chest hair, the dumbarse haircut and everything, I'd just piss myself laughing.

13. Daexkor

Daexkor Member

Hi I'm Daexkor.

I just spent the entire day yesterday on a redundant chain quest in the buggy MMO that is Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

I don't know why I did it. I need help.

Although this is nothing to the hours of my life wasted farming faction in WoW, or time wasted in Oblivion, or Morrowind, or Fallout, or Age of Empires, or Total Annhilation or Ultima Online, or Star Wars Galaxies or.... shit.

14. cenithx

cenithx Member

Hrm ok.. hope you don't care if those pants get messed up then :p

15. watto86

watto86 Member

lol, oh dear.

16. Ignignort

Ignignort Member

*sigh*

Hi, my names Nathan.

My first addiction was Mario Bros on the Nes, unfortunately my Dad was a huge video game nut and ofcourse this passed onto me. The first major single addiction I had was probably Final Fantasy 8 on the PSX (yes a PSX not your gay PS1) Sucked well over 120 hours of my life into that, then I bought Final Fantasy 7... Pretty much after those 2 games I became addicted on RPG's. I bought every PSX game I could find. About 2 years ago I realized most of them had an insane value aka: Suikoden Series. I sold them and said goodbye. Oh yeah forgot about the Addiction that was Magic: The gathering, but they aren't video games and another story for another few days...
    There was ofcourse the Pokemon phase, this lasted a good 2 years. Then the Xbox came out, nothing terribly addictive on there but I found myself playing alot of various games.
    Oh..the most important era.. WoW, I got addicted for a good year. Then I bought a bot for it, to help me get away... small problem, I got addicted to botting and the community. I sold everything and have been WoW free for a good few months.
    Essentially we are here today, I have a PS3 which I use more for music and movies :( and I have my PC. I'm currently playing Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, which I bought at release and only played for a month, then stopped for one, now I've picked it up again...

*sigh*

17. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

where is this poster?

18. OP
    OP
    BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Two words (and a number)...

Team Fortress 2.

:(

I'm clocking up 20 hours a week on this baby!

:upset:

19. dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Is it ok if I bump this thread? Very relevant to me right now, wouldn't mind talking it through with fellow gamers...

I've been addicted to online gaming for around 16 years now, mostly through playing WoW on and off, but certainly other online games as well. I say online games, because I reckon I could count on two hands how many single player games I have completed in the last 16 years. I've missed out on some great games, to be sure.

My career has suffered, my life in general has suffered, I've failed/dropped out of several career-development courses over the years - I've started to learn Javascript/Python programming to help me in my job probably about 10 times, only to find after a week I don't touch it again for a year, so essentially I've learned nothing. My brain feels like it's getting grayer and I'm less in touch with pop culture, world events, general every day news than most of my friends and family.

I know why - the dopamine hit I am getting playing games like WoW (and other similar 'skinner box' type games) is extremely satisfying. As soon as a task is achieved, it's on to the next one, and the next one, and the next one. Everything else I do in life is not fun, well, that's the way I feel. If I pick up a book to read, I put it down within 15 minutes because I'm bored. If I start working on an assignment for my Diploma, I'll do it for an hour and then that voice in my head goes "you've done your quota today, time for some fun stuff!" The only thing that I find 'fun' outside of online gaming is catching up with mates and having a few beers and laughs - this I can get around, but going to the markets with the missus, bushwalking, and general stuff that I KNOW will actually be good for me - ppfffft, no fun.

I've known this for years but have chosen not to do anything about it, until now.

My life is not in a terrible place... I earn a respectable middle income in a relatively low stress job from the comfort of my own home, in a state where the high income/high stress trade-off isn't really necessary. I made some bad life choices in my teens (got rank 12 in WoW - lost my job because of it), but I got my shit together in my early 20s and started to rectify my work ethic. I have just purchased my first home (after renting for many years) and this together with, funnily enough, the latest WoW patch (8.3) has made me take a good hard look at myself and really want to focus my efforts elsewhere.

I've taken a few steps already: removed any reference to WoW in my online bookmarks, discord servers, and I have cancelled my subscriptions. But right now I am feeling a bit empty and unsure what to do with my time.

I don't want to quit gaming completely, the social element playing with friends is good for me, it allows me to wind down after a day's work and have a laugh with them. I am not sure dropping it completely is a good idea - from the advice I have read online it seems just cutting back hours spent, setting daily or weekly time limits and enforcing them, or cutting out online gaming entirely and playing games that you can enjoy at your own pace, pause when necessary, etc. -- the feeling of dropping the social element of gaming though makes me nervous.

Thanks for reading, I hope I'm not alone here.

mAJORD likes this.
  20. boneburner

boneburner Member

I found when I wanted to distance myself from an MMO, but still keep connected - i would hunt out new-ish players on Twitch (or Mixer) and offer advice etc. Find someone you like - or a few people you like, and just watch and chat with them and their community - it can fill the social need. I sometimes actually got more out of doing this, than just playing/grinding the actual game.

Another guy I know took his own advice to his kids, and moved the gaming pc out into the main room of the house - so he wasnt cooped up by himself away from the social areas.