Games developer tells "bitching" PC Users where to go

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boron boy, Nov 24, 2011.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

95% of us PC gamers would have pirated it eh? Interesting figures *cough*....

Does anyone know where I can illegally download the very latest low-res-low-rent-late-ported-bug-riddled-steaming-piles-of-shit from Ubisoft then?

God only knows what horrors await us in the "free before microtransactions" version. Interesting language that Arnoult used too... "something ported in the classical way, without any deep development...". What does that say about the current culture and mindset at Ubisoft? Ok, they're trying something "new" but it suggests that a quick-ported DRM-laden product is the "standard" or "traditional" way of doing things over there. That doesn't fill me with hope.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. trickma

trickma Member

Apparently it needs to make more than 50k sales to justify the cost of porting it, maybe he doesn't believe his crappy game is capable of such feats.

3. moosi

moosi Member

Long live Blizzard !!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF ONLY there are a few solid companies like them that focus on PC ONLY, it'll surely bring it back.

Anyway, lets face it, if multiplayer cross platform is EVER allowed, everyone will be back on the PC. Cause these conassholes won't stand fuck all of a chance against the mighty mouse and keyboard. Though that would definately mean the downfall of consoles lol...

Ahh... it doesn't hurt to dream :)

4. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

Highly informative post proffesso, thanks for this.

5. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Hehe, you haven't seen the waters Diablo 3 is treading have you? :lol:

6. MrBS

MrBS Member

I just finished reading an interview in the latest game informer where the head designer for Diablo III talks about progress on the console version ;)

7. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

Here's lies Blizzard, they sold out and there games went to shit. PC gamers laugh in your face
    R.I.P

:) But seriously, they can't see this as a smart move. D3 may remain primarily a PC game at heart, but with any sequels the shit is going to hit the fan, because they will do things to make it more suitable for consoles. Hate brining up the same examples again and again, but they are the shockers. Look at Crysis 1 vs 2 (not even gonna discuss how two was just so much worse) or look at DA:O vs DA2, DA2 was atrocious. That is what consoles cause, the ruining of good IPs (I know DA:O was multiplat, but it (like BF3) was primarily developed for PC, and it showed)

8. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

From my personal point of view, I couldn't be bothered downloading, storing, and crossing fingers hoping that a pirated downloaded game actually worked.

I can just as easily head to the shops if I really *need* that game, and know 100% everything will work.

If the game is too expensive, then I don't *need* it.

That all said my PC is probably getting a bit old for the very latest games these days (video card aside).

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

If you're talking about PC Games... (if not, disregard)

Maybe in the past. But now, that game you bought from the Shops probably requires an Internet Connection for online activation, once activated, it will probably also want to download the day 1 patch, because games are now mastered in Beta and Patched on release.

10. spaced1

spaced1 Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive

11. moosi

moosi Member

Oh yes totally forgot about that, not much news on the beta but first glimpse at the preview looks solid.

Microsoft won't allow cross platform, cause they know the PC will rise and crush the consoles.

There're far too many better reasons to be on the PC than a console if cross platform play is allowed for games or future games. But then there are easier ways to cheat and more of it and monitoring and banning will involve all parties, thus too much work. Unless there is a universal anti-cheat thing on all platforms but who's gonna invest in that...

Probably too much cons than pros business wise to allow it I guess.

12. iinsom

iinsom Member

Cant say that any version of the games ive pirated has never worked...

I mean.. Er...

I havnt pirated a game =)

13. OP
    OP
    boron boy

boron boy Member

CDProjekt weigh in on the piracy issue.

CDProjekt founded good old games and are the makers of the Witcher games. They develop games for PC first and console second, and they provide them DRM free. GIVE THEM YOUR CASH NOW. If you don't want to play the witcher, go buy a retro game from gog.com instead.

14. moosi

moosi Member

The reason for the down fall of the PC platform is piracy. Even now as things things grim for the PC, they aren't shaping up anytime soon, as people rather to pay nothing than for their games on PC than support the devs by buying the game.

We brought this on ourselves. Sure you'll pay for the update in 2-3yrs time of hardware and such but realistically the PC gamer would pirate the game on release finish it and move on to the next game, thus not giving any returns to these companies and therefore they don't see a reason to invest the time and money on the platform.

So as hard as it is to admit and accept for some, PC users are killing the PC platform.

15. simm

simm Member

The fact that consoles are:

1. Hugely more popular as a gaming platform. Equating to more $$ for developers.
    2. Locked into standardised hardware for the life of the console. Making less work for developers as they can build a game for known hardware rather than the infinite combinations found in PC's.
    are pretty big factors too.

I'm not saying piracy is not a factor but I think developers are finding it harder and less profitable to develop for PC when compared to consoles. Piracy is becoming a convenient stick to beat PC gaming with as developers look for excuses to invest less in PC games, i.e. make crappy console ports.

16. moosi

moosi Member

If its a game has any single player aspect to it, the ratio of piracy:buying is really insane.

Why buy before you can try before you buy.

17. Sundance

Sundance Member

One of the reasons, yes. But the reason? Absolutely not. Infact I'll be surprised if it's anywhere close to the biggest reason, which is the popularity of consoles because of the convenience offered by them.

18. Wokeye

Wokeye Member

It seems to me that if we want PC-based game development that we need to suffer some form of DRM to account for those *whatever* percent of PC gamers that pirate games. Sure, it sucks - but I'd much prefer good PC games with some DRM than only play dodgy console ports. As always, it is the minority that brings down the whole.

Sorry for my ignorance of the piracy thing... I honestly dont bother with it now, with Steam games so bloody affordable - but is a steam only release (eg Skyrim) or Origin only (eg BF3 single player) easily 'piratable'? I would have thought it'd be a struggle to beat that kind of DRM?

19. Kyorisu

Kyorisu Member

Wait when did this happen? Oh right it didn't happen. Move along nothing to see here. Answer me this, why is it that piracy only started getting the blame after the big casual consoles came into existence? Piracy has been around a lot longer than the xbox and didn't seem to be much of an issue back then.

Piracy is a scapegoat.

Instead of "Yeah well were moving all our development to the consoles there are more idiots there".
    We get "YOU'RE ALL PIRATES. FILTHY SCUM".

According to publishers piracy is nothing but negative but many companies/people have shown this is bullshit.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  20. apsilon

apsilon Member

Very easy. Non Steam Skyrim was out the day the game was released. DRM does nothing but effect legitimate users. I know I shouldn't but for the couple of games I buy per year (from OS BTW due to local prices being a scam) I download the version with DRM removed and play that and put the boxed copy aside. I have a valid copy that I've bought but I'll be damned if I'm going to be inconvenienced with their crappy limits.