Games to play while listening to something else?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by AEKaBeer, May 30, 2017.

1. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Do you recommend any games to play with the sound off or turned all the way down?

Currently I'm enjoying sitting at my pc while the missus and I talk or watch/listen to videos in the background while she's on her laptop or ipad. I normally love being fully immersed in a game, but we're expecting a baby in a couple of months and want to spend some more one on one time before then.

2. damo13579

damo13579 Member

Turn based stuff like civilization or Total war.

3. breno

breno Member

A city builder or the sims?

4. roamin

roamin Member

sitting at your pc gaming in any way is not really spending time with your missus. sitting on a couch feet up and her curled up under your arm, thats spending time together.

if im gaming and talking shit to the missus, she doesnt see that as me spending time with her, trust me i tried it lol.

5. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

I play WoW with the sound turned off and it's perfectly fine.

6. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

Dwarf Fortress
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    Caves of Qud
    Factorio

These are my usual pics for half arse gaming, bonus points as you usually run them in a window.

7. samus

samus Member

If shes on the ipad laptop, that's being in the same room together, not "one on one" time.

anyway...

consider the setting. if you are in the lounge, you can still snuggle and game. Lately cause its been cold, its been me and the wife, sharing a blanket with the column heater and the cats. I'm retro gaming, while she helps me with a walkthrough. this way shes engaged as well, and i get to game!

Now to answer the on-topic question, anything retro with a controller, that you can play in the living room. For me, its been n64 games (banjo-kazooie).

8. power

power Member

switch off the PC.

9. OP
    OP
    AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Do your relationship how you chose to, we spend hours talking every day, we are very happy and have been for over a decade.

She is wrapping up work (her own and her employers) before she goes on maternity leave and I've put a new rule on myself not to work free and out of hours for my employer. I now have some spare time to unwind after the work day and have chosen to play a few games before the baby comes along and will have zero time for a while.

To those who gave game suggestions thanks.

10. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Civ.
    Factorio.
    XCOM

Anything that you can walk away from and it doesnt cause issues/matter

11. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

I think that's a great idea. Try and get The Boss involved in what you're playing, or play something that you can do as a couple. I've been playing the Telltale Walking Dead games with the Mrs; works well as i get to play an interesting game and she gets to tell me what to do :D. And now that thelatest one has the crowd play feature which means that she has to pay attention to the game more rather than fiddling with her phone and missing the story hahaha.

12. Boneman

Boneman Member

The Royal Game of Ur.

Try not to swear too loud when the computer (seemingly) cheats.

13. insular

insular Member

you should be rubbing her belly with coconut oil

and enjoying 100% risk free sexy time

14. Brick

Brick Member

I've got a couple of hundred hours in Binding of Isaac and most of that is with the sound off so I can listen to/half watch videos

15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

get in all the multiplayer games you can because you cant pause that shit for kids..

I got kicked from a cs:go competitive match for AFK just as I was coming back from crying kid and enemy team forfeited next round..

Before baby pops, enjoy sleep, sex, getting in and out of car easily.

As for games without sound being crucial, I rkn anything like Diablo 3 would be fine.

16. roamin

roamin Member

and this is why i wont have kids. i like sex. im lucky though as my missus doesnt want any either. wont be happening now were both in our mid/late 30's

17. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Farming Simulator makes a pretty good background game while watching tv etc. You can hire workers to do the fields for you or install the GPS mod to control the tractors. It has coop multiplayer as well.

You could also try browser based incremental games. They don't require much interaction but some take months to complete

http://bloodrizer.ru/games/kittens/
    http://faedine.com/games/crank/b37/
    http://dhmstark.co.uk/games/civclicker/
    http://jhollands.co.uk/spaceplan/

https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/wiki/list_of_incremental_games

18. Szemen

Szemen Member

FTL and XCom would be my picks for this situation. I play FTL fairly often with something on the background like a brainless movie or something.