Gameservers and Hardware

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by FarZK, Oct 4, 2010.

1. FarZK

FarZK Member

I'm doing a bit of research to plan an eventual gameserver build in the event that the LAN I'm running gets off the ground.

Wanting to know what's important for running multiple gameservers on a single box and how I should go about it?

Should I be virtualizing each seperate server or will it be fine running them (let's say about 5ish? on the one windows install?

For hardware, what is important? I'm thinking about say a 1090T 6core from AMD but would happily consider i7/Server CPU instead.

I'm looking at about 8gig of ram, would it be sufficient or should I go for 16gb?

TIA for input guys.

2. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

How many players and what games?

Certain games have massive servers that use huge amounts of RAM and CPU. Other servers are tiny (think TF2).

3. OP
    OP
    FarZK

FarZK Member

It'll be a mix really. BFBC2, Cod4, Source, TF2, and probably a couple of other random ones.

4. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

Make sure you take internet capacity into consideration as well (upstream speed is also important). You could be using a PC that's up to the job, but it will still have problems if there isn't enough bandwidth to support the number of players for the game you are hosting.

5. OP
    OP
    FarZK

FarZK Member

That's not an issue, this is for a LAN.

6. OPM881

OPM881 Member

it could be depending on the size of the lan, i believe he was refering to network speed, but anyway

7. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

Oh my mistake sorry :). Network speed shouldn't be an issue then.

Source engine game servers don't seem to use all that much in the way of resources, but I don't know much about the others. You should be able to run multiple game servers on the same machine, even multiple servers of the same game with different settings, just make sure you use different port numbers for each. You could run VMs, although this adds significant overhead, when they should all be able to run on the same system at once anyway (negating the need for VMs)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  8. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

COD4 apparently doesn't take much more then a P4 era Celeron, 1GB of RAM and some storage space. A 6-core AMD sounds good. So too does 8GB of RAM. It might help if you invest in some cheap, high-speed storage. You're biggest issue will probably be server loading speed. If you really want to up it, go for a dual Xeon system. Probably a bit of overkill, but it'd be fairly future proof.

9. oohms

oohms Member

Most dedicated servers don't take much in the way of cpu/ram, but watch your ram usage if you are running 10+ servers off one box.

It is a good idea to have several network cards in the pc, and if you do things with 'bursty' usage (FTP redirect for custom maps) then you will want it on a separate port.

VM's are a good way of separating 'user space' so its not daunting to see 10+ dedicated server windows, but there are sometimes I/O issues (lag and other really random things)
    Alternately you can use management software eg HLSW and administer the servers remotely with RCON

Some games have their own peculiarities - eg the cod4 server browser will only see a maximum of 4 servers per IP - so test it all out at home first before you host a lan with this as your main server

10. OP
    OP
    FarZK

FarZK Member

Thanks for the bit about network cards, I can quite happily chuck in a couple of extra gigabit nics in there, what is involved with directing traffic to different NICs?

Probably won't bother with VM then, there won't be a LOT of servers, at least not this early.

11. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

Each port has a different IP address. Run the FTP server facing the IP of port two (10.0.0.2) and then when someone connects on port one (10.0.0.1) forward them to port two. Try to keep each additional forward on a separate card at the beginning. Makes things easier.

12. oohms

oohms Member

You can usually choose what local IP to use, as stated above.

If you have static IPs (good idea for the server, if you are running the lan) - then you can also allocate several IPs for a single nic (useful for cod4 if you have to run 20 servers >_>)

13. OP
    OP
    FarZK

FarZK Member

As far as storage is concerned. Would I see better performance choosing a Velociraptor over a WD Black? Would it be worth running the server programs off an SSD?

14. oohms

oohms Member

For game servers it doesn't matter much at all - just stagger them when you launch them initially and it will be fine

Even at larger events the FTP server usually doesn't get hammered that much (assuming you don't store game isos etc on it)

In theory an SSD would be the best, because of the very low seek times, but i wouldn't get one until a regular hard drive becomes bottlenecked

15. OP
    OP
    FarZK

FarZK Member

Don't really want to make another thread for this so I'll ask here because I believe it's related. Is anyone with LAN/Networking experience happy to have a chat with me through PM regarding possible network setups? I'm unsure where to start in regards of boosting available bandwidth between switches.

16. Pugs

Pugs Member

also AS far as I'm aware BF:BC2 doesn't have dedecated servers??

umm there are lots of threads in N,T and I about lan switch set ups

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  17. OP
    OP
    FarZK

FarZK Member

Yeah BC2 definitely has dedicated server tools, you might be thinking of MW2 which doesn't. I used to rent a BC2 server.

Thanks, I'll check out the networking forum.

18. Pugs

Pugs Member

ok what i meant was avalible to the public.. i know you can rent them.. but the software isn't avalible to anyone other then ISP's/ online server hosters

19. OP
    OP
    FarZK

FarZK Member

Oh bollocks, you're right. That's a kick in the teeth, oh well. COD it is.

20. Pugs

Pugs Member

yeah much the pity would love to play BF:BC2 and MW2 offline properly.. but alas...