Gamespot Editor Fired.

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by budzilla, Nov 30, 2007.

1. budzilla

budzilla Member

Jeff Gerstmann who was a game reviewer and editor for the website Gamespot got fired.

It is alleged that his was shown the door because of pressure from the publisher Eidos of his "Kane and Lynch: Dead Men" review; Eidos didn't like the review and threatened that they would pull their ad contract. It wasn't a terrible review (click here) with an overall score of 6.0. Although his video review was nastier.

Shacknews article here.

The video review was taken down.

Also the Eidos forums have been spammed with terribad pictures.

This is terrible for the already laughable game journalist industry.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  2. giles666

giles666 Member

Wrong on so many levels.

What ever happened to independent review. With the exception of a few sites the whole game review industry is a complete joke.

3. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Personally i'd like to see them all fired, they are the biggest bunch of BS'ing reviewers i've found on the net, their reviews are just plain biased and crap.

So this is some welcome news indeed.

4. Rabe

Rabe Member

Oh my i need to go gouge my eyes out...went to look at what u meant by the eidos forums...had to click on the most disgusting one.

5. Reva

Reva Member

"We are currently making a change to the forums. They will be up shortly. Please check back later."
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/

Eidos decided to take down the whole forum?

I've always thought that the game review business is frequently rigged (eg. the reviews for big-name, hyped games). How did Black & White got 95% + reviews from most magazines, yet bombed not long after?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_&_White_(computer_game)#Reception_and_controversy

Gamespot tends to overrate the average games, and punish the good games that I like. Hitman1 for example. Okay the controls weren't perfect but they're still perfectly playable if you take 3 mins to learn.

To make a generalised statement: The whole PC parts and software review business tends to praise things rather than look at its flaws seriously, as in 80% praise, 20% criticism.

IO Interactive's previous offering: Freedom Fighters sucked balls so I guess this one should go to the same rubbish bin.
    :thumbup: I thought so. Another Freedom Fighter clone.

6. THeX

THeX Member

Its no secret if you make a shit game, word will get out that it is shit. The company should take this as feedback and find ways to improve their quality of their product. *thumbs down for Eidos.

7. g4n0n

g4n0n Member

Here's the deleted video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FuJ81sDR2o

I don't know what his regular reviews are like, but it seems he was deliberately bagging the game to death. Maybe a game reviewer telling the truth for once?

8. Rahk

Rahk Member

9. Hardwhere

Hardwhere Member

Definetly telling the truth. The game reviewers are reliant on the producers for their income, for the free samples/test games and other perks. Of course this limits how much they can really 'review' a game. The only way that a game reviewer be independent is by solely relying on its audience for income.

Im sure that Eidos would of said get rid of him or else to Gamespot.

LOL to the above.:D

Ouch! Did you see the user reviews?! They are sticking up for Jeff on a big scale. All I see are 1s lol. I think Eidos just made shit even worse for themselves.
    http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kanelynchdeadmen/players.html?tag=hotslot;yousay

10. Wizdon

Wizdon Member

What a shamble. Eidos and Gamespot are both coming out of this looking bad.

The game looks terrible, too!

11. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Rumour has it that PA comic above was posted before he was fired. On The GAF forums a Gamespot employee posted the (then) leaked comic and said "umm, yeh...that last frame kinda came true"

I lost all respect for Gamespot since they were bought out by Cnet...seemed to go downhill from then

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

This sort of thing has been going on for years and being discussed on forums like this for years also. So nothing new. It also gets discussed in regards to hardward, software etc etc etc.

At the end of the day I don't trust any review sites, I just look at them to gather the factual information about the product without the opinion, and make my own judgement based on actual users reviews on websites such as OCAU.

13. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

doesnt surprise me in the slightest. its even worse for internet sites because they get most of their income from either ads or under the desk sponsorship from game companies. theres only one PC game and hardware mag I trust, and thats GameStar. pity they only publish it in germany.

14. UncleRes

UncleRes (Banned or Deleted)

Wow.

This is really dissapointing. I wasn't such a huge fan of his reviews, they seemed a little skewed. But Jeff was a great host of the Hotspot, the weekly gaming podcast. Very funny guy with an encyclopedic knowledge of video games.

15. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

Wow, I'm quite disappointed. Despite what a lot of people on this forum think I've always liked gamespot and found they review fairly, if a bit on the lenient side. Jeff was my favourite editor by far. I'm not sure if I want to visit the site any more.

The amount of K&L stuff on gamespot really was massive though. One of the Button Mashing finals was Eidos staff coming in with a K&L work in progress multiplayer match, it appeared on OnTheSpot at least once and there's the aforementioned advertising and "make your own trailer" stuff.

Jeff himself seemed to be really keen on the game pre-release going by his comments on the Hotspot and other places so maybe his expectations were too high.

16. japes

japes Member

I stopped trusting game reviews a long time ago, in fact, ever since Halo was released I'd say.

Yahtzee Crenshaw's Zero Punctuation reviews are the only ones I take notice of. His Orange Box, MOH:A, Bioshock and Halo 3 reviews were so perfectly on the money.

Gamespot are jackholes for doing it. If you load up the Lynch and Kane review you'll notice all of the user reviews are 1.0 Abysmal "Avoid this game like the plague". You don't fire people for reviewing games honestly.

17. joecool55

joecool55 Member

Whilst i always suspected this sort of thing occurrred (im sure many did), especially for online game review sites, this coming out into the open for everyone to see shows how much of a complete joke & how untrustworthy online sites can be when colluding with big business. Hopefully this will keep some people away from gamespot.

I used to go to gamespot for its reviews & other info, but after this shambles i will not be going back. How can anyone trust any game reviews - you cant really. Thats why i buy games from EB, so i can try the game & return it if its crap.

However with many places not allowing returns i can see why people may download games to try them instead.

What a disgrace for gamespot.

18. Rzeractor

Rzeractor Member

+1. If I was a Dev I would take it as feedback, hands down. Read what's not good about the product, and improve in a sequel/next game.

On his note, he'd have a really good resume so I'm sure he'd pick up a similar job in the not-so-distant future.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  19. Kaji

Kaji Member

The guy cost a company hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of money. I'm sure potential employers will looovvee that.

(yes, I know)

20. Silent Remorse

Silent Remorse GAMING OVERLORD

**Been a Gamespot reader for many, many years.

Some of you guys just don't get it - every single gamer should be rallying around Jeff about this.

He's been with Gamespot pretty much since its inception - 10 years. He started out as a freelance writer and quickly gained traction as quite a good reviewer. He's extremely passionate about games, and the industry, and when he became an editor he provided that little bit of "Reviews for gamers" that has died on mainstream sites.

He's always been brutally honest in his reviews and always tends to cut through the hype. One of the reasons I still bother to read GS since the Cnet takeover are staffers like himself.

Unfortunately, this whole action is what stinks about corporate reviews. It's been going on for years, with Gamespy and IGN both coming underfire for conflict of interest and developers/publishers influencing scores by threats or with promises of gifts or money.

I always thought of Gamespot of kinda the bastion of a relative amount of impartiality in the games industry. They've always been a better site then IGN/Gamespy but now, I'm not so sure. Their scores hold are too much weight and buying power, thus the advertising/promotions onslaught, but I've never actually heard of anyone this high profile being fired before.

This is not going to be good for Gamespot or Edios. This game went from being mediocre to both companies losing more money then they ever would before the action.

I'll never be relying on a Gamespot score ever again.

Edit: More info going on here: http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/alleged-gamespot-employee-spills-guts-on-valleywag-328797.php

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007