Gaming cabinet / arcade machine

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Furious, Sep 9, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Furious

Furious Member

It's easy enough to just use a multimeter to work out which is which.

Plus, if I've done my job properly, there shouldn't be any trouble shooting! Famous last words! hahah

2. INerTIal

INerTIal Das Uber LemMinG

Also wires that are installed inside something like this tend not to fail spontaneously.

3. OP
    OP
    Furious

Furious Member

Dummy fit of screen. It's a Samsung 6300 60".

[​IMG]

Seems it is thicker at the bottom than the top, so it's slightly angled facing up.
    I will machine up some 16mm thick round spacers in either nylon or aluminum (whatever I have laying around, but nylon preferably) to space it off the cabinet face. This will make it level and also give me a space to run the power and HDMI cable.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. d33g33

d33g33 Member

I really love this build. The size of it, it's styling. Amazing. Obviously this isn't your first one but i think it's awesome. Keen for more updates!

5. OP
    OP
    Furious

Furious Member

Thanks! But, yes it's my first build - never done anything like this before.

6. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

Love watching your build. after 10 years of wanting to build a cab im finally gong to do it this time. As you go through the build could you list everything that you put into the cab? Like the button encoder etc etc. What are you planning to d hardware wise? Running a pc? What are you planning to do about sending the video signal to the monitor? Scan line generator?

Where abouts are you getting your hardware from (buttons, sticks etc)?

Im still new to this so im not up with the lingo or if certain aspects of cabs are still relevant as the hardware has changed after 10 years.

Thanks

7. OP
    OP
    Furious

Furious Member

Thanks!

I didn't mention where I got the joysticks, buttons and encoder from becuase I was pretty disgusted with their service. Since you asked it was "Game Dude" in Queensland - but I wouldn't recommend them, whilst I eventually got what I wanted, it was a very poor experience.

The encoder I am using is a i-Pac4.

Yes, will be running a mid-range PC, probably an old one I have laying around as the processing power required is not very high.

No hardware scan line generator planned as yet, most of the emulators do software generated which i'll probably use.

8. d33g33

d33g33 Member

Awesome. On another note I recently used Power to Make for a replica R2-D2 I'm building and they were very easy to work with and contacted me to check and confirm anything they weren't 100% clear on. Great service.

9. OP
    OP
    Furious

Furious Member

Had the joystick mount laser cut from 3mm stainless, and I counter sunk the holes.

[​IMG]

Pulled the joystick apart:

[​IMG]

Then assembled it back together with the plate sandwiched between the joystick top plate and base.

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Furious

Furious Member

In order to space the joystick top plate from the mounting plate, I need to make some spacers that are exactly 2.38mm thick. That way it would be supported everywhere and provide the most rigid mounting.

I made the spacers from some 25mm wide, 3mm thick mild steel bar. I milled them to shape, and then ground them on a surface grinder down to the eaxct thickness.

On the surface grinder:
    [​IMG]

Finished spacers:
    [​IMG]

Spacers bolted in place:
    [​IMG]

And finally, the whole thing screwed into the underside of the control panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    Furious

Furious Member

Haven't done much recently, but got the wiring the to the subwoofer all tidied up.

[​IMG]

12. d33g33

d33g33 Member

How you going with this?

I'm about to have a good crack at nailing some Arcade machines starting with R2-D2. keen to see how your project is progressing?