Gaming monitor advice

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by varin, Feb 21, 2019.

1. varin

varin Member

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on monitors. I've never owned a high refresh rate monitor before, and I'm planning on getting one.

I've already decided I want 1440p and at least 144Hz. I chose 1440p because it's not currently practical to get high refresh rates on a 4K monitor.

I've decided on 144Hz somewhat arbitrarily. Since I'm getting a high refresh monitor, I don't want to "settle" for "just" 100 or 120 Hz.

The features I haven't decided on are panel tech - VA or IPS, and size 27" or 32".

My current monitor is a viewsonic VX3276-2K, which is a 32", IPS, 60 Hz (can overclock to 75 Hz, but I've had some issues with games when overclocking).

I haven't found the lowish DPI to be too much of an issue - 2560x1440 on a 32" screen is only 93 PPI. Whereas 2560x1440 on a 27" screen is around 110 PPI which is considered a sweet spot.

The monitors I'm considering:
    IPS/G-sync/165Hz:
    Asus PG279Q 27"

VA/freesync/144Hz:
    Asus XG32VQ (maybe not available anymore?)
    Asus XG32VQR (new model - I'm not sure on the price)
    MSI AG32CQ
    Viewsonic XG3240-C

I watched the recent Hardware Unboxed video on monitor tech, and it didn't seem very clear cut. I remember the host said he would recommend VA to most people because it's the best value.
    I've never had a VA screen before, and some of the reviews talk about "smears" and "trailing" which makes me a bit worried about going with a VA. I like the size of my VX3276-2K, and I prefer the price of the freesync monitors.

I'd prefer to buy local just in case of warranty claims. I'm pretty close to a umart, and I can also get to MSY.

I know ol-skool just got an Asus XG32VQ and he seems very happy with it.

Are there any brands I should avoid because of bad dead pixel policies?
    What do you all think of IPS vs VA?
    Do you know of any other monitors I should be considering?
    Any other thoughts?

Thanks

2. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

IPS screen. Nothing shits me more than the poor colour-washed picture of a TN panel.

VA panels have ghosting issues.

3. Skyw4rp

Skyw4rp Member

I ended up getting an Acer XB271HU late last year. 27", G-Sync, 144Hz. My panel is pretty decent which I'm thankful for. They're expensive though...

If I was in the market today I'd consider:
    - Whether my graphics card can power high framerate at 1440p
    - Which graphics card you currently have and whether you're going to stay with Nvidia/AMD for your next one (this would direct you to look Freesync/G-Sync)
    - Some Freesync monitors compatible with Nvidia cards (read up more on it, there's a compatibility list somewhere)
    - Larger monitor size is probably better for the immersion aspect of gaming and smaller monitor size might make everything easier to see at once if you're playing competitively. Can't comment on the ideal resolution for the 32" size though.

Best of luck with your purchase!

4. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

VA is traditionally the slowest of the techs which is why people comment about smearing, it also has by far the best black levels and viewing angles between TN and IPS. But VA has got better over the years, Almost 100% LCD of TV's use it or variation of. If your concerned I'd read reviews with response time tests (eg tftcentral). Keep in mind there are plenty of rubbish TN/IPS monitors that smear/trail heaps worse than a decent VA.
    You should get good results out of the 1ms VA panels that are out like the MSI AG32CQ you mentioned already. Heres a review of 27inch version it games well, 32 should be similar given same line.
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1742-msi-mag27cq-msi-mpg27cq/

5. nope

nope Member

oled/ips or bust imho

6. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

agreed.

VA's are just shithouse. I had a screen i paid over $800 for and i returned it because of ghosting, it was just too slow. I went back to my dell 30inch IPS. :)
    find an OLED screen, or get an IPS screen.

nope likes this.
  7. nope

nope Member

i had a decade with a tn the colors are washed.
    va is the same
    couple of years with a amoled phone i need oled but sadly nobody makes them in 21:9 for desktop monitors

8. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

i want oled 16:10 in 30 inch :'(

9. nope

nope Member

we gonna be waiting a while until panels get big last long enough and most importantly mass produced and cheap

10. OP
    OP
    varin

varin Member

Thanks for the comments.

Mathuisella & nope I think you'll be waiting a long time for those oled monitors.

nope likes this.
  11. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

until then I'll stick with my IPS 16:10 2560*1600 Dell monitor with lots of inputs :D

great screen real estate and higher than 1080p lmfao, yet not as high as 4k as that requires a lot more grunt to drive. It's a nice sweet medium :) and there is nothing in 16:10 ratio that has a higher resolution

12. nope

nope Member

ill stick to my ancient 29" lg ultrawide i oc'd to 75hz

13. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Can vouch for the asus pg279q. Try wait for a sale or at least a coupon code via ebay or sumin. Got mine for about $830 iirc

Worth noting to make sure u set the monitor to correct refresh and also confirm the settings in nvpanel. Thought id wasted my money before figuring that out lol

varin likes this.
  14. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    varin likes this.
  15. fitfirst

fitfirst New Member

As for someone who has both IPS and VA panels, what can I say. The VA panel has deeper blacks, perfect for watching movies or playing games in dark scenes. My fairly new VA panel seems to do a bit better with motion blur than my ageing old IPS panel. The colors on the IPS panel are great but the ghosting can be a bit of an issue. If you can find a TRUE IPS panel with low response time(1-2ms), especially on 27" good luck on that. I have 32" VA and 27" IPS. The VA is a curved panel, may be it's just my mind tricking me, but I feel more immersed playing games on it than my 27" flat IPS panel.

The old Asus PG279Q that you are interested in have been known to suffer some severe BLB and IPS glow. Some say it has a bit of ghosting. My IPS panel has some severe ghosting and very light IPS glow, but no BLB. That's what ticks me off from IPS monitors BLB, IPS glow and ghosting. I really hate it. Especially when I'm watching movies in dark scenes or playing games. :(

What can I recommend you? There is no perfect monitor, you will find flaws in all of them. Take for example the expensive Asus/Acer 4k 144Hz IPS monitors, I hate the Noisy fan that is inside of them, also for an extremely expensive monitors the response time on them is crap. Also it's not a True 144Hz 10bit monitor you have to downgrade it to 120Hz... ETC ETC...Do you see what I mean??

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    varin likes this.
  16. fitfirst

fitfirst New Member

I was looking into getting one of these. But a few things have been reported on them, bad ghosting, BLB/IPS glow, if you turn on HDR then Freesync gets disabled.

It also has a Freesync Range of 48Hz-144Hz which means LFC kicks in way too early.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  17. fitfirst

fitfirst New Member

My old IPS panel is worse than my fairly new VA panel. So I'm guessing you haven't tried the new VA panels yet.

18. fitfirst

fitfirst New Member

People have been talking of OLED taking over the PC world for so many years. Where is it??? Is the reason for them taking so long is they can't sort out the burn in issues???

19. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

6 months ago

yeah :'( damn burn in. Imagine a wow player who plays all day, after 1 session the UI is going to be burnt in so much :O

20. havabeer

havabeer Member

You know you can just hit the "reply" on multiple posts so you dont have to post 4 individual times. Or use the +quote button