Garage door security risk

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by warrenr, Jan 8, 2018.

1. warrenr

warrenr Member

having just had my car stolen and returned last month it looked like my garage door was left open. We have obviously been extra careful, (I was certain I had closed it that night), but last night it happened again. A friend dropped by and told us the door was open. We’d just been in there to unload the car so it was def closed.....

It’s meant to be secure
    Tri-Tran Frequency Hopping Technology
    Every time a transmitter is used, it simultaneously sends a signal over three different frequencies, reducing the chance of interference from other radio frequency sources.
    Code Hopping Technology
    Every time a transmitter is used a new security code is generated from over 4.29 billion possible code combinations. This greatly enhances the security of the system and makes “code grabbing” a thing of the past!

Two times in 2 months is way too many, potentially a faulty remote? Anyway, I’m thinking of disabling the remotes by erasing all codes
    Step 16.6 - To Erase Programmed Codes
    If the DOOR CODE button is pressed and held for 6 seconds the DOOR CODE LED will blink rapidly for one second to indicate that all programmed codes have been erased. (Fig. 32)

Getting one of these and hoping it’s more secure.......
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Iphone-...S-Controll-A-Door-S-Garage-Door-/171862365757

Any thoughts on a pi solution as well? Is there a kit available to ensure the garage is closed and to alert me by having a strobe light in another part of the house?
    Potentially with a disable switch when th door is legitimately open?

edit - turns out mine is not compatible - will resync the remotes, get the springs recalibrated as a warranty service. investigating the pi solution - at the very least a warning will give me piece of mind and monitor the situation (and upgrade the whole thing if required)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. aalu

aalu Member

Tilt or roller door?

I have a roller door and there are limit switches on the roller door mechanism that prevents opening or closing too much. I have wired a long lever micro switch to trigger open at bottom of garage door travel. When the garage door starts to open from the bottom position the micro switch closes a circuit which is hard wired to a buzzer and a LED light in the bedroom. My LED light sits below the TV and in the dark of night is bright (Try sleeping with that LED light filling the room :). The buzzer is in the kitchen, but has a bypass so it can be turned off, if the sound becomes too annoying. Whole circuit runs off a 5V DC power supply (I think) - small plugpack with low amperage (may even be possible to use olden Nokia chargers with the right LED and buzzer specification)

There are off the shelf reed magnetic switches for roller garage doors, which you may be able to retrofit (even on a panel garage door)
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alarm-M...uits-ROLLER-SHUTTER-GARAGE-DOOR-/180913011991
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wired-A...-For-Roller-Shutter-Garage-Door-/302477425172
    But you still need a circuit to inform you when the door is open. Maybe you can wire the switch to a wireless door chime so that the chime operates continuously when the garage door is open. Or better yet, get one with a flashing light when the door bell rings

Here is an interesting sensor that can be tied to alarm system
    http://www.smarthome.com.au/chuango-wireless-garage-door-sensor.html
    Or here is one for a tilt door
    http://www.smartliving.com.au/z-wave-tilt-sensor.html
    And here is one from Jaycar, but also integrated into an alarm system
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/spare-wi-fi-alarm-garage-door-sensor/p/LA5613

Good luck

3. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

its a sectional tilt door - so a little from column A and little from column B :)

Tying it to the alarm system is an interesting idea. I've got a motion sensor alarm in the garage which I guess I could wire in parallel? Also found this one
    https://opensprinkler.com/product/opengarage/
    I like the way the video just sends the signal from the units relay output directly into a remote too.

Only thing I'm worried about is this thing will be connected to the internet - so whats the blynk account linked to the QR code all about?
    https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000717107-user-manual

I could setup up a vlan totally blocked from outside - but is this a cloud account?

Ultimately - just checking now, how configurable is the app - after say 8PM I need it to have a different continuous tone which is manually switched off if the door is open

4. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

live by a military port?

just kidding, the ISM band is fucking tiny and are not private by any means.

Fluoro / LED ballasts can cause weird back EMF, could this be trigging your door to open?

or it's something like rolljam being used to pwn you:

or his followup:
    https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/rolljam/

pissed off any neighbours recently? be they trolling you with a SDR transmitter.

5. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Not sure what route you're after. But if you want something simple check out gogogate

I got installed a few months ago. You open/close the door with your phone. Can be linked with google assistant using ifttt.
    If you use it with the door sensors, it can send you an instant notification when your door is opened and closed. And if it's left open for a period of time.
    You can also add an IP camera into the app to watch what's happening in there live.

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

Alarm + Cameras...

Alarm will only deter your casual/ opportunistic Thief Pros won't care but Cameras are the next layer

7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I have an irrational fear of my garage door opening itself when I leave the house. I usually end up sitting in the driveway about 30s longer than I need to to ensure the obstruction limiter hasn't engaged and it's opening again.

I have considered making a RPI interlock that cuts the power to the door opener when it closes. But getting it turned on again to open the garage is a bit harder so I haven't bothered.

8. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

I live next to a nursing home which I was actively protesting against them building a 30 million 3 storey development........maybe its a front for something else :p

Looks interesting! Can you set it so that after a certain time (say 8PM if the door is open for more than 5 mins) you have to manually turn off the visual / audible open garage alarm? I'm obviously super paranoid atm

Also my current system is not compatible with B&Ds solution - I assume this one is just hard wired into my remote?

not sure how to multiquote when I've already posted (I mustnt have refreshed my page and didnt see your responses)

anyway - pugs, guy who stole my car looked right at the camera....glows red, didnt deter him at all!

Holdennutta - I find myself watching it close, I've even gone around the block and driven back just to check!
    I wont even go into how many times I check the cameras..............

9. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Haha yep!!! Same here.

10. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Alarms well worth it.

Get something like the Bosch S6 and tie it in with roller reed switches. Get the Wifi Keypad and Register alarm with MyAlarmPro and setup notifications.

Can arm and disarm via your phone and if the garage door is open and alarm armed it'll notify you.

Likewise if it goes up for some reason when out it'll notify you.

11. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

thanks all, gogate2 on order. if it goes as planned - that ifttt feature sounds really useful (daily motorbike rider)
    Hopefully theres far less false alarms which means an alert will actually be alert (I found the motion sensing alerts in the garage kept going off). tried dropping the sensitivity, but it takes is a fly to go past it

whats the myalarmpro btw? the bosch appeared to be a battery, but I'm going to assume its an alarm system with remote connectivity?
    I'm running a hills with a comnav - which theoretically should let me do the same thing (massive pain trying to get remote connectivity via xconnect atm though). could either be I have an old revision or require the codes from the supplier (callout fee)

12. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

13. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

how about, buy a decent car alarm or remote central locking kit (mongoose), run it off a small 12v power supply (small battery with trickle charger for backup), and use the actuators to drive bolts through locking plates either side of the door.

so theyd need to hack the 'car alarm' system, then the door remote.
    and if they go for the weak mechanics of the door alone, they still need to hack the car alarm part of it.

Triple jeopardy/extra points for using the car alarm dead bolt system to turn on/off power to the door lifter itself.
    Door shuts, you arm the locking system, which also turns off power to the door door lift motor.
    Disarm the locking system, it turns on power to the door lifter, and away you go.

Anyone getting past that is either already inside the house or deserves an award for determination......

14. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Interesting idea..

Only problem you face is that the actuators are the weak part where they'd drive the bolts through a locking plate (on panel door this could be harder).

Actuators are normally weak, and could possibly be broken simply forcing the door.

That said if someone is going to that effort they'll just drive straight into the door, or jump your fence and brick the rear window.

15. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Member

my thought is a steel plate or L section on the door and the rail with matching holes, so that a bolt can be driven into the holes.
    has to be better than nothing.
    quick, cheap, easy to implement.
    and means when its locked, its locked.

16. ericks

ericks Member

I have a wireless alarm system....two wireless door reed switches that i have always installed on the garage door/s.....

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Pitbull living in back yard, with a doggie door into the garage...

18. cozbert

cozbert Member

get yourself something like this https://goo.gl/E5uYXJ and when the door is closed use the app to turn off the motor

ruffdayz likes this.
  19. darknebula

darknebula Member

I really like this idea after Copie mentioned it in another thread. Grabbing one and configuring Home Assistant to handle turning it off while I'm out or when asleep should be fun

20. aalu

aalu Member

If gogogate2 does not work out, over at whirlpool forums, there was a recommendation to use wemo maker. Can also interface with IFTTT. Wemo maker comes with a relay inputs (to open and close the door) and also a sensor input (to detect the state of the garage door - open or closed)