Garage door security risk

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by warrenr, Jan 8, 2018.

1. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Simple, but effective.

I like it.

2. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

just got the gogogate today, but that tplink looks great as a secondary measure as well! scheduling could come in mighty handy and opens up ALOT of possibilities

3. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

And it’s a wrap. Installed an additional app on the phone and scheduled it so if the door opens at night a super loud notification is triggered from the email. Trying to work out now how to get the smart watch to vibrate for emails for vips during bh.... stage 2 is the auto open when the bike rocks up in the driveway with stage 3 eventually disabling all remotes as Gogate is hardwired into the motor atm. Weird how this works fine but when I called b and d none of their smart phone solutions are compatible! There is an ip camera solution but subscription only, will see what I can manage to achieve in the future with that. Now to move onto the front door intercom over the net (it already calls me but the latency is so bad a 2 way conversation is impossible) and open the garage remotely for parcels....

4. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Their $40 every 3 years to be able to use IP cameras is a joke. I used the trial and didn't bother after.
    Since I use ifttt I either just ask Google, or have a button widget on the home screen. So I haven't actually opened the app in months.

I made my own front door intercom using a nest camera at eye level on the wall near the front door. Nest notifies you almost instantly when it detects someone (like a doorbell), and you can talk to them wherever you are.

Also, Gogogate let's you open the door outside of your network, enable it in the settings.
    I never thought about it, but I could tell the postie to put my parcels in the garage like you said.. brilliant idea!
    I've just been watching them on the camera, feeling sad I've missed it..

5. LiNERROR

LiNERROR Member

a pair of 5mp ip cameras in the garage, and a network attached custom solution that can control the door and disable the opener and control a pair of maglocks to keep the door from being bypassed. i assure you if someone wants to open your factory door wirelessly it is trivial with the right hardware, and even the best systems can be circumvented with a simple fibre fish rod with a hook. it's the only way to be sure.

6. Sledge

Sledge Member

7. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

9. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

If it is opening when it shouldn't be - it is not working well?

If everything was "working well", you wouldn't be creating a thread to ask for solution.

Anyway, good luck with it

10. Sledge

Sledge Member

i think you're confusing me with the OP :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  11. koopz

koopz Member

I just wish domestic modem/routers provided by ISPs come with WLAN 1/2/3/etc options.

it's been long enough now

people want their automated home lighting/garage door/AV/aircon etc for their new home now

12. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I've got an el cheapo wireless doorbell kit from Bunnings. Every once in a while, when the neighbor gets home and opens his garage door, my door bell would ring. My guess is the frequency is fairly common among those things. Maybe a neighbour's remote is opening your door.

13. callan

callan Member

Acting on some suggestions here I've gone cheap and low tech.

Bought a 3 of THESE and installed one of the remote power switches on the roller door motor. I programmed up the switch to respond to any of the 3 remotes and tested it out. I'll no doubt I'll use the remaining 2 switches elsewhere.
    I've used these devices already all around the house for years, doing everything from bedside lights to isolating my retro-computing desk when I'm not using it (it's not wise to leave antique electronics powered up when not present) - they're ubiquitous devices.

[​IMG]

The zappers have sufficient range to activate the switch from the street (even when closed) and there's a remote now next to the internal motor switch, and one in each car. The delay between powerup and responding to the garage remote is only a second or two so that's good enough.

That should be sufficient to stop opportunistic "war-driving"-style attacks. Phone apps are cool and all that but dicking around unlocking the phone and launching an app just to open a door seems a lot more hassle than just pushing a button on a remote.

Callan

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    AgB deano likes this.
  14. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

Love that idea Callan. Simple and effective.