Gauntlet I Arcade Cab question: Art...

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Vanne, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

Hey guys, I've been on the look out for art from my fave cab, which is Gauntlet 2, the 4 player version, but to be realistic, ill never construct/find a 4 player cab, but a 2 player one is in the realms of possibility. Now the question is..

Would you buy, new Side/control panel art, Repo's at that, or would you go originals Including the damage that they would come with?

reasons for asking as i have in my sights a 2 player original Gauntlet 2 control panel overlay, complete with ciggi burn marks on the perspex, would you go for that, or spend a little bit more and get a complete new overlay?

Interested in what you guys/gals think on that...

Repo gauntlet 2

[​IMG]

Repo Gauntlet 1

[​IMG]

(i Like this one better actually, but it won't be period correct. :(

Original 2 player cut down Gauntlet 2

[​IMG]

any idea guys? I REALLY like the Gauntlet 1 Control panel overlay.

This is the complete kit for Gauntlet 1.

[​IMG]

and the full Gauntlet 2 kit.

[​IMG]

Cheers guys and thanks for the help.

This being a pretty popular cab, id imagine plans would be pretty easy to find on the web.

I have never built my own, but pretty handy with a saw and hammer and nails. the most difficult thing it seems would be to put that plastic edge guard stuff on. That looks hard, and to make it look good.

So I've got lots of spare parts, but not sure on weather to use a old authentic monitor, or use an old CRT/LCD.

Def going to be running Advance Mame, nfi what front end ill be using, I've been out of that game at least 10 years now. My guess is that a lot has changed? Not going to be using a Pi, but something with at least a bit of horse power. (Cant stand frame skips)

got a 2 core wolfsdale on stby for this project, along with a bunch of other crap.

lol the main games to be played on this cab will be of course..

Gauntlet 2
    Gauntlet
    Gauntlet Legends (<--- freakin LOVE this game)
    Gauntlet Slayer Edition (PC, Hope i can make that work with using sticks)
    Wonderboy of course
    Black tiger
    Gaplus (my mate loves this, i rather suck at it)
    D&D Shadows over Mystara
    Capcoms, Knights of the round.
    Dubble Dragon
    Sega's Golden Axe series.
    Rygar

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. breech

breech Member

A cab is a big item that you will probably hang on to for a long time so you should choose whatever makes you happy. I can't see a problem mixing up the original artwork versions, in the end only you will know about it. I am glad you are sticking to original artwork because it ages well and stays in context, but 'fanmade' never does.

For me there is no replacement for CRT if you want authentic blur/scanlines/curvature and pulsing glow with a cab. LCDs simply do not pump out light in the same way, but again, you will need to live with it. Cons with CRT - locked frequency, noise, dangerous voltages, open chassis, rubbish controls, faults, power consumption, stepdown transformer (chassis), weight.

If you want to go down the modern frontend rabbithole (with covers/videos/music), the most actively supported frontend right now is Launchbox. Fast SSD + ram recommended.

anyway, just my 2c.

Vanne likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Depends on the condition. A few marks or a bit of yellowing is all good. I can put up with that. Likewise if there is clear Perspex over the art, sometimes that can be replaced.

I built a Moon Patrol cabinet years ago, and managed to source a real marquee. It was a bit scratched up, but it still looked great as an authentic piece on the cab.

Vanne likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks guys, going to go for the reproduction new stuff. Bought the whole kit.
    I found pretty darn good plans here at http://jakobud.com/cabinetPlans.php
    Has the complete Gauntlet cab plans. I also found some CRV and DXF files, that can (if shop is so equiped) cut the MDF completely digitally. Sure as shit no shop has that here where i live in Dubai atm.. thats for sure.. maybe in Oz?

not sure what sticks to go for yet, keeping it completely authentic would be cool, but this will mean ill need to buy 4 new sticks and said buttons..

No rush in any of this btw guys, i have a few other projects on the go atm, and more looking to start this when we move back to OZ.. on the cards pretty soon. Just time to start thinking of acquiring some parts and thinking about how its all going to go together.. Not sure ill be able to find a arcade monitor that will fulfil the requirements for this cab, but i def will be looking for a big ass CRT. 23-28 inch or something to that size.

Just checking out Launchbox now..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  5. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Nice choice going for new repro art.

I got a uv damaged cab and spent a few months doing the art myself.
    All the original black had turned pink plus it wasnt the best art for a multicab looked 90s and chinese mass produced.

I was going to go with noodleshirt for the printing which would've been better materials and ok on price (approx $160ish) but actually went with officeworks ($40), turns out they do print to fabric (great for marquee) and adhesive fabric (laminated is great for control deck) only u have to diy that and it was a tough job, but doable.

Being a multicab i went for a number of different themes and tied them all together.

Before https://i.imgur.com/JrzxTFN.jpg

After https://i.imgur.com/xGTmmqQ.jpg

It had some side art decals but after removing them im happy with it asis

Vanne likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG]

Hope they turn out great..

elvis and qwertylesh like this.
  7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I hope the dimensions are perfect

Post pics when they arive and the install result :D

8. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol that's gonna take a while.. only sourcing parts and spit balling ideas atm.

9. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG] for some inspiration. :D

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Just about to order some Sanwa sticks.. wanna leave my current Sega control panel in one piece.
    things must have changed a bit.. when i was doing sticks we only had 2 pin switches? what are these new 5 pin switches and which is better?
    cheers and thx

11. elvis

Depending on your preference, US Gauntlet cabinets used Happ Competition Pro joysticks (the bat-handle style). These have far more throw than Japanese style (Sanwa/Seimitsu sticks). Personal preference though.

I wrote a guide about a million years ago here that tries to describe the different feel of each stick:
    https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/852-The-quot-What-joystick-should-I-buy-quot-thread

I try to era/location-match sticks and buttons to my projects. So I'll use US controls for US games, Japanese controls for Japanese games, etc.

Most older style joysticks (particularly US "Happ" and AU "MCA" style) had the common cherry arcade microswitch, which had 2 pins that you plug a spade bit into each (one for common ground, one for your switch). You'd then need 4 switches for your four directions, each with 2 wires going to them (although you could loop your ground wire to attach to all ground points).

Newer Japanese sticks have a 5-pin connector, which is your up/down/left/right 4 pins, and then 1 extra pin for a common ground.

Vanne likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Yeah I hear ya. I know all of the original Gauntlet I/II cabs I've played on in Oz had these sticks Colour coded to the player. i.e. Red Yellow, Green and Blue. [​IMG]
    But al the cabs I've owned had the Sanwa sticks. I know that Gauntlet will play fine with these Happ sticks, but what about the other titles? Wonder boy for example? will that be weird?

13. elvis

100% personal preference. This is no "best joystick", nor is there a "wrong joystick".

This guy can legitimately kick my arse all day long at Street Fighter (a series I've put tens of thousands of hours into), and he doesn't use joysticks at all:

Vanne likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

fuck! very humbling little video that... thanks for posting it man, amazing bloke.

Still not 100% sold on the Happ sticks, on the other hand, if i don't like them, i can always swap them out i guess for the Sanwa sticks. And i guess it (the Happ's) DOES suit the Gauntlet cab better...

decisions, decisions... lol..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  15. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Plans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

qwertylesh likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Also just noticed that this cab/overlay is set up for lefties.. I've grown up having the smash buttons on the right of the stick and manoeuvres the stick with the left hand... Hmmm...

Hmm 19 inch crt isn't going to cut it. Cab is 25.5 inches wide.. leave and inch each side for the MDF, leaves 23.5 inches which will probably fit a 22 inch screen. Though not sure if this will leave room for a bezel.

17. nimmers

nimmers Member

Vanne and qwertylesh like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Ok I have decided to go for the original Happ competition 8 way sticks that came with this cab..,

[​IMG]

But.. what Happ buttons do I go for?

[​IMG]

I grew up with the original ones on the left, but I hear good things about the middle ones. The right is not an option.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  19. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Its upto u do u like concave or convex?

20. elvis

Happ Competition Pro buttons were concave (left) in US arcades, and were what the original Gauntlet games shipped with.

What you prefer is up to you. As above, I like matching hardware to games, just because I like the whole package of retro gaming. Art, design, hardware, software. I think it's all related to the nostalgia of it. But again, go with your own preferences. It's your cabinet, so make yourself happy as a priority.