Gave my box a good clean & this was the result....

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by hawks667, May 19, 2006.

1. hawks667

hawks667 Member

Gave 2 of my box's a good clean tonight, removed all HDD's, pulled out all cards, removed RAM, fan from CPU heatsinks, left just the mobo & CPU heatsink. Then gave it all a good blow over with the vac on reverse (aka blow job)......cleaned all case fans nice & good....

Amazing how much dust gets inside these babies.

Results as follows:

Box 1 - Main Gaming & work rig....

Opty 144 @ 2500mhz on Asrock 939 Dual Sata 2 cooled by Arctic Freezer Pro, 5 x 80mm intake fans @ 3 x 80mm exhaust fans

CPU Temp prior to dust removal

Idle - 32c
    Load under Folding - 37c

CPU Temp after to dust removal

Idle 28c
    Load under Folding 32c

Box 2 - Kids PC, test bed 24/7 Folder

Barton 2500@ 2100mhz on Gigabyte Ga7N400Pro cooled by Thermaltake Volcano 7 with 80mm Thermaltake Smartfan @ 3500rpm, 3 x 80mm intake fans @ 2 x 80mm exhaust fans

Idle - 51c
    Load under Folding - 59c

CPU Temp after to dust removal

Idle - 44c
    Load under Folding - 52c

This was after about 7 months of being on mostly 24-7....folding & torrents etc....

Tomorrow i tackle the other 2 box's in the house....

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Did you encounter much dust? I've been considering doing the same recently.....but as always just a matter of "cbf". I'll probably have to do it sooner or later as there appears to be a build up of small dead gnats (or something) around my cold cathode at the bottom of the case :/

3. MrSmith

MrSmith Member

I give my boxes a good clean every few months, clean up the cabling at the same time, its does magic on the temps :)

4. OP
    OP
    hawks667

hawks667 Member

Yes, the fins on both CPU heatsinks were pretty much clogged right up, especially around the edges where you most of the air flow. The case fans were pretty cruddy, but probably the worst was on the Arctic Silencer that sits on my x800 pro.....that's was bad.... but just goes to show how good these coolers are cus after blowing it out, its only about 1c cooler...Even with a thick coating of dust, it was still doing a great job...

I know what you mean about the cbf.....its one of those things that take a few hours to do......I think i am going to have to ban the cat from coming in the room where the pc's live.....bloody cat hair is everywhere :mad: ...

5. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

i built a system for a mate about 1 year ago.. a64 3200+, nf3 mobo, 6800 128m and 1gb ram.. oh, ~120gb hdd.. nothing special, but it was on the cheap and does what he wants for most everything..

anyway, came to me @ work,, said his kids came in and said the computer died.. so he turned it on, after about 30 secs it just turned off.. he couldnt get into windows to figgure anything out.. so rang me, told him to bring it to work.

now take note, he is a smoker.. computer sits on the desk and his ashtray is RIGHT infront of the case..

anyway, opened it up, DAMN.. was crazy.. cpu fan DIDNT spin.. and gpu fan was totally clogged up.. enter 100psi of air compressor.. took the 'sinks off, attacked them with bulk air, crap went everywhere, put it back on, worked a charm..

rang me that night "yer, even the temp has droped like 20degs.. thanx man, ill cya next year ey ??"

i just laughed and said his lungs would be worse..

moral of the story, dust filters save lives..

6. OP
    OP
    hawks667

hawks667 Member

And dont smoke near your boxen

7. R3xx

R3xx (Banned or Deleted)

LOL guess I'm screwed then. :)

8. DaveQB

DaveQB Member

This is something thats crept up my to-do list....finally. Big reason is my temps have noticably in the last few weeks and its probably been 12mths since I last had it open [not overclocking like I used in my younger years :D ]

Where I used to work, we had some systems come in caked in dust. You could always tell the smokers, their cases had a unique smell to them.

Our worst was a customer that I elected to use plastic gloves to clean. Without fail, cockroaches would run out from its PSU or case onces openned/startled. :wired: Even when we cleaned it all up for them, a few months later they returned for some sort of upgrade request and yet again, cockroaches, both alive an dead running around! :shock:

9. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Haha that would not be a pretty sight.
    I was at a LAN once and was helping a mate swap out his vid card. When I opened his case I found it too was coated with dust. So I told him to go outside and blow the sh*t out of his case. He came back 5mins later with a grey dust-coated face and coughing like he was dying. The idiot just stuck his face in the case and started blowing :lol: At least the case was mildly more clean after rofl.

10. archie

archie Member

my temps weren't too bad but after cleaning and re-oiling the fans, i can barely hear the PC being on now, have to look at it to see if the power LED is on or not.

11. DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Hahaha. If system was still running and he did that and he ........ Darwin Award :lol:

12. DaveQB

DaveQB Member

I have never bothered with oiling the fans. That much of a difference ?? WD-40 do ??

13. archie

archie Member

nah, supposedly wd40 is bad..

singer machine oil is supposedly the best/cheapest way to do it.
    and yeah, makes them a LOT quieter.

EDIT: dan says it best... http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  14. DarkSerenity

DarkSerenity Member

I gave my case a good clean too, haha.. its so clean its just the components sitting on a shelf on my desk!!!

(I'm currently modding my case when I get time, in the mean time I needed my computer running!!)

My Phantom power supply is nice and quiet :p

15. DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Cool. I'll have to give that a try. Now to remember to get this oil before i clean my PC this weekend ..........

16. bennyg

bennyg Member

Blew a bit of dust out of my chipset fan/heat sink a few weeks ago. Chipset temps went down by 5 deg. (Installed BIOS update a week later and temp went up 10C - CPU temp went down by 10C :confused: )

Especially important if a puter spends a lot of time case-naked

17. DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Cleaned mine up. It had ts fair quoter of dust in it, thats for sure. Put on some night new AC5 on the CPU and Heatsink.

Happy to report Temperatures have dropped at almost 10 degree's.

But ....

I havelost my overclock badly. System wouldn't even POST to start with, just got the sirens sounding :shock:

Ended up knocking back my overclock to get a POST.

Now running with no memory overclock and a mildy CPU overclock. Not sure if its the memory losing its overclock or the board.

I did see some slight bulging at the top of the 4 caps running down near the MOSFET's. Might be time for that upgrade I have been wanting. :Paranoid:

18. Jarlax

Jarlax Member

so what is the best way to deal with dust? even with my box off the floor it attracts a layer of dust over the side fan in a week and id hate to think what the inside is like.

is reverse flow on the vac the best way or just the quickest.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well putting in dust covers certainly helps. Cases like the AMG1080 have dust covers that can be removed and cleaned. If your case doesn't have them then you can always put in pantyhose over the fans as dust covers.

20. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

If you're wondering, 80% of all dust is actually dead skin cells. Except for the cat, we're the main culprits. Server racks when opened are relatively dust-free since people do not spend much time in the rooms :thumbup: