Gave my Wacom Cintiq a Bath - XP Artist 16 inbound

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by SSJ4, Sep 22, 2017.

1. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Hey everyone,

So after many years (2013) of loyal service I gave my Wacom Cintiq 13hd a bath (F&*ing water bottle lid came off in my bag).

This thing got me my Honors Degree from Monash university and built my folio to get me employed. Not to mention all the personal projects over the years I have used it for.

I am gutted really, and is the first piece of tech I have owned that died because of my own error (my fault for putting my bottle in the same space as my tech).

Here's a couple of time lapses of work I did on it. Everyone put your hands on your Hearts and give a moment of silence to my lost friend, may she rest in Silicon heaven for eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4UvKv0t7fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4E4ZnPeWDU

Anyway enough sobbing.

After much deliberation, I decided I wouldnt replace it with a Cintiq but roll the dice and pick up a cheaper alternative.

http://www.xp-pen.com/goods/show/id/187.html

Picked it up here.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XP-Pen-A...et-Monitor-Graphics-Pen-Display-/122378299025

Also for 18% off due to the ebay birthday sale. So I got it for $541AUD Incredible!!!!!!

I was considering the new Cintiq Pro 16 which has a much nicer display and 4k. And could have gotten it for $1600. But Wacom will be releasing a 24" pro version next year and I will be waiting for that and forking out the $$$$ for that.

The XP Pen seems to be the best cintiq alternative yet from the reviews I have watched (I have watched alot over the years of cintiq copies). And has the big plus of having express keys and is Vesa Mountable!!!!

Being Vesa mountable is a big draw card. Since I dont have alot of desk space throwing it on an arm so I can swing it out of the way is a huge bonus.

Once the unit arrives I will do a review for people considering picking a cintiq/wacom/or otherwise up. At the price, if its as good as the reviews lead me to believe it could be the best choice for students, amateurs, and professionals that need a home unit.

Anyway stay tuned Creative people.

2. Munki

Munki Member

Wow. That's a real bummer man. My condolences.

I was always envious of those with a Cintiq. I had to make do with an Intuos 3 - which managed to get the job done, but was definitely no where in the same league as being able to draw on a screen. It's just so much more natural!

If I was actually in the graphic design industry, I'd want to try out the XP Pen. It looks quite good! Please let us know how you find it in terms of responsiveness and pressure.

3. Bertross

Bertross Member

RIP Wacom Cintiq 13" :(

I was looking at the Studio 16 for home to side grade my 24HD but im going to wait for a true upgrade from the 27 QHD.

I rock the iPad Pro 12.9" on the go though.

interested to see how your new addition goes though.

4. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Never really got used to using an Intuos. The disconnect always got to me, I was fine for really basic stuff and touch ups. But it severely slows me down.

Ive used nothing but Wacom stuff, so I am curious to see how the alternatives are doing.

24 pro and 32 Pro coming out next year, which will be 4k and have a new pen. THats what I am looking to. Never been a fan of how massive the 24hd is, would literally take up my entire desk lol.

How does the ipad go for drawing? Any decent drawing apps that allow layers and brush configuration like photoshop?

5. Bertross

Bertross Member

Yep their sure is

Procreate (no pun intended ) is amazing on the iPad Pro.

https://procreate.art/

Its had its version 4 update for iOS11 and its insanely fast. :thumbup:

That 32" sounds interesting.

6. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Procreate actually looks really nice.

7. Munki

Munki Member

It took quite a while to get used to looking at the monitor to draw instead of at the pad, but I think eventually I got there. Just a matter of retraining I guess. But you're right, I can imagine it being a lot slower than drawing on a Cintiq!

8. Bertross

Bertross Member

i cant stand the intous products anymore (to spoiled i guess). My hand feels weird drawing like that its significantly slower for me too. It's been about 3 years since i used one for an art peice. I sometimes have to at work but not nothing crazy though.

It could be more to do with the desk setup too. But the Cintiq hanging over the desk is be far my most comfortable way to draw. The iPad Pro on the couch is not far off either.

Its easy to transition from Procreate to Photoshop too. I reckon the 3rd iteration of the iPro Pro will be far more "PRO" it really needs 8GB of RAM to allow the number of layers like PS can generally do without slow downs but for now unless you need to print it on paper 4-6k res at 72dpi is easy with around 50 or so layers. One of my 4K files had over 100 in procreate version 3 no worries.

The latest version allows masking and the brushes can switch colour modes on the fly without the need to make a new layer and changing its blend mode then merging down. Save a lot of times and unnecessary steps.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Just an update on this.

I got the xp artist a while ago. Was working just fine. Not as nice as the cintiq. But it worked and the extra screen size was nice. But I turned it on on sunday and I just could not for the life of me get it to calibrate to the display. THe cursor when using the stylus was stuck in no mans land UNLESS I used the "full monitor" mode which uses all my screens or if the XP artist was the only display active. Frustrating to say the least. Did the usually uninstall drivers and reinstall. But I have sent a email off to support for help... zzzzzz

I also pulled apart my cintiq and gave it a royal bath of Contact cleaner. Funninly enough the PCB didnt really show obvious signs of water damage. So it may just be the screen itself thats busted. Anyway that was last night. Yet to test it because I was busy going on a Electronic upgrade at my folks place last night.

- Opened up and cleaned cintiq.
    - Took every key and switch mechanism off my wifes macbook that got friendly with a glass of coke. Washed every cap and switch, compressed air and contact cleaner for the Mac.
    - Upgrade the Ram on 3 laptops are my parents house. My mum as 2 laptops for some reason one for itunes and the other for everything else.
    - One is a HP that is still on ddr2. Went from 2gb to 3gb, Cos I found a ram stick lying around at work.
    - Another is a budget Pentium lappy that gets the job done, but was struggling a bit with only 2gb of ram. I bought 2x4gb of ddr3 off gumtree for $15 only to realize it was a 32bit windows and could only use 4gb.
    - With one other 4gb stick to spare I asked my dad if he needed some ram for his ultra book. Nice little toshiba this one, i5 SSD now rocking 6gb of ram. 2gb is integrated into the PCB so it only had 1 dimm slot.

So a very productive evening.

Bertross likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

SUCCESS<

Finally got the chance to plug the cintiq back in...

And she works, well it displays screen. I didnt install all the necessary drivers because it would conflict with my new pen display. So ill be taking it back to work to see how it goes.

alexb618 and Bertross like this.
  11. Munki

Munki Member

Wow that's great to hear man! Fingers crossed it's back to working order!

SSJ4 likes this.
  12. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Update on this?

13. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

No update. I should plug in and test it, problem is the wacom software will override the drivers of my new display.

So ill need to install on a different machine.